Author Topic: Do all conversions look the same?  (Read 2318 times)

Joshua JZB

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 27
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
  • Belief: Christian
Do all conversions look the same?
« on: January 16, 2021, 01:04:49 AM »
This is a question I've been considering for a fair while now. For myself and many others on the forum that I've read, we can pinpoint an event, and know when we came to repentance towards God and thus when we were converted. And these events are typically quite dramatic, with a lot of tears and grief, and after which, are lives change majorly, and we begin warring against the flesh.

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. Acts 3:19

Repentance is clearly necessary for salvation, but can everyone that is saved pinpoint more or less when they received repentance? Or could they receive repentance perhaps a bit slower, in a more subtle and less obvious way that they didn't notice or it didn't really stick out to them when it happened? (And of course some people are already are repentant and humbled and just need to believe, like the prison keeper in Acts 16. But I think probably the majority of the forum had a decent understanding of the importance of believing in Christ and what he did before being saved.) It seems a lot of people are unware when the foundation of repentance is laid in ones heart. However we know in most cases it is not.

Why I ask is that I wish to be more vocal and outspoken about repentance with those that I know, but I don't want to cause those that I am confident are saved to doubt their salvation (though I want to have certainty with them), but I want those that I believe to be false converts, like I once was, to have fear.

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? -Matthew 7:16

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Philippians 2:12

Those that I am quite confident in their salvation have been very receptive and thought it made sense. But those that I am confident are false have mocked it.

Hopefully my question is clear enough, but more than happy to clarify.
For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth. - Psalm 74:12

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: Do all conversions look the same?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 01:32:04 AM »
Those who have the Spirit of God in them will welcome the doctrine of repentance, but those without it will reject it. You just need to stop living in fear and move forward boldly in faith.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Joshua JZB

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 27
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
Re: Do all conversions look the same?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 07:13:40 PM »
It really is that simple. Apologies for overcomplicating it.

The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the LORD shall be safe. Proverbs 29:25 

I have been conscious of this verse and know I am guilty of snaring myself in this fear :-[ but your words have helped me move forward with this. For which I am very thankful!

I have discussed repentance with a few Christians that I know since posting this and it's been amazing to confirm that they have come to repentance as well and to have that confidence and assurance in their salvation. I wasn't surprised really, cause I could see a lot of fruit, and also observing how they have changed over time. But I was still uncertain. They have some way to go on certain doctrine and I will be doing my best to explain to them and bring things to their attention.
 I still have a long way to go myself clearly, I am ashamed at how long it's taken me to start having these discussions. But thank the Lord He is emboldening me.
For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth. - Psalm 74:12