Author Topic: Sanctification  (Read 3515 times)

Joshua JZB

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 27
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
  • Belief: Christian
Sanctification
« on: January 07, 2020, 09:04:07 AM »
Hello again!

So I understand that sanctification is of great importance for born again Christians, that it is commanded of us and that Christ prayed that we would be sanctified. Since understanding this I've made efforts to distance myself from certain people and be very cautious of who I spend my time with. But I am still unsure of how I should navigate certain situations.

My main question that I'm pondering is, at what point is someone failing to sanctify themselves?

I think with the majority of people that I know (that are not believers) I am sufficiently sanctified from (though I'll let you guys judge that). For example with most of my friends from highschool (whom I shared interests in things that I have largely removed from my life such as videogames, movies and tv shows, drinking), I have stopped efforts to keep in contact with. When I run into them, or they happen to message me, I talk to them as normal and tend to avoid certain topics.
However I did meet with a number of my old high school friends for one of their birthdays (I left very early.) So I'm not shutting them off completely, I am wanting to keep somewhat of a connection with them so I can one day share the truth with them. Which I hope to do once I can adequately address the questions I know they'll have.
I am approaching more people in my life in this kind of manner; not seeking to be in their company any longer than necessary but aim to be friendly and kind when dealing with them, and also explaining to them why I won't do certain things if necessary.

But the area I am unsure of the most is being involved in the prolife club, which I mentioned in my introduction post. 1 Corinthians commands us not to be unequally yolked with unbelievers. Now I have confidence that there are born again Christians that are involved in the club, but there are also a lot of catholics and other church goes types, which would classify as unbelievers. The context of yolking is with cattle ploughing a field. If my understanding is correct, it's not working together (as in having coworkers who aren't believers like at a workplace) but instead uniting with and working towards a common goal with an unbeliever. Therefore is there any capacity that I can be involved in the prolife club and be sanctified? Or is any affliation whatsoever yolking myself with unbelievers?
I had plans to organise things in such a way where I spend minimal amount of time in the company of catholics etc, like solely at our discussion meetings. As well as be more plain and open about my opinion on things like the catholic church and other such matters. But if even that still means I'm not sanctified then that's something I'm gonna have to fix.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on the understanding I've demonstrated, as well as how you yourselves approach the goal of being sanctified in your own lives.

Thanks! :D

Joshua JZB
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:07:24 AM by Joshua JZB »
For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth. - Psalm 74:12

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: Sanctification
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »
I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
-1Co 5:9-10

To keep company means any kind of assembling together with people. As you can see if you continue to read 1Co 5, what we need to be careful of is assembling together with anyone who calls himself a "Christian," but lives in his sin.

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
-1Co 5:11

It is not that a Christian cannot or will not sin, but the problem is the lack of repentance of sin in a person who calls himself Christian; meaning that a man will claim to be of Christ and seek not to turn from his sin.

The major focus you should have is over the word fellowship, which can mean "company" depending on the context, but where as 'company' seems to be more along the line of assembling together with others for an event (and in 1Co 5, it is meant specifically that we do not assemble together with others for religious purposes with those who live according to their sins), but 'fellowship' seems to be more "companionship" or "familiar intercourse," which is the closeness of friendship with others.

And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
-Eph 5:11

The problem I have seen is that a number of Christians, even some in our own church, still kinda' "ho-hum" this one, meaning they do not pay much attention to it. We can help others in charity, we can speak to them and try to tell them the truth, we can be kind to them, but we are not supposed to be hanging out with them in what Noah Webster (if I may borrow from his 1828 dictionary) called "mutual association of persons on equal and friendly terms."

This is not talking about buying groceries at the same store, or being employed (or servants) at the same job. The focus of our assembly should be with the church, that is, with born again and sanctified Christians together, and sadly, some still ignore this in the New Testament.

And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
-Heb 10:24-25

As our church can testify (at least, those who have accounts here and read this on a regular basis), I have never pushed this on anyone in the church. I have only taught it briefly in times past, and I let the Holy Spirit work in each to understand these things, or rather, to understand WHY this is important.

To be... I guess I would use the word "chummy"... or intimately familiar with those who are unbelievers and/or the wicked who walk in their sin, is not what Jesus did. He went to them, He helped them, He taught them, but He did not make himself intimately familiar with unbelievers, as you can see in the Gospels where His traveling companions were very small in number and specific persons He had selected.

The things Jesus did were an example for us, showing that those He spent intimate and resting time with were those who were the children of faith. If Jesus had spent that intimate, familiar time with unbelievers and the wicked, what example would that have set? It would have provided evidence to others that the sinful things of the world are accepted with God, and that's not the case; which means that in order not to take the name of our Lord in vain, which is about ambassadorship, meaning that we, being the children of God, represent the Lord Jesus Christ, our closest friends and colleagues should be in the church, and not by force, but it should be a desire to draw close to those who are of Christ. (i.e. If those who are of Christ have no desire for closeness with others in the faith, and/or avoid that, they should have a serious look into their hearts and judge themselves in righteous judgment.)

That's why I expanded our church online to those around the country and around the world via Skype, and why I even started this forum, was to give Christians who had been scattered an opportunity to not be alone if they had sanctified themselves in fellowship. However, this is still a problem that needs to be addressed, and it may be somewhat my fault for not explaining it well enough in teachings, putting emphasis on the importance of how we are exhorted among one another, and the example we set for the world to see.

The bottom line is that if we, who are born again in Christ, have intimate fellowship and keep close company with those who are not born again in Christ, it gives them the impression that they are accepted with God. That's dangerous because that is having an negative effect on their understanding for salvation, and thus, when we do not, by our actions of sanctification, separate ourselves from the things of this world, and those who are set on loving the things of this world, then we give unbelievers the impression that what they say and do is accepted with God the Father.

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
-1Jo 2:15

So in order for us to be living in charity, we should be thinking on the things of others rather than on ourselves, which is the fulfillment of the law and prophets.

Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
-Phl 2:4

So if we are loving our neighbor as ourselves, then to have religious assembly only with those who are of Christ, and to have intimate fellowship (i.e. friendship) with those who are of Christ, then we love our neighbor as ourselves, showing our neighbors that, if they do not come to repentance, there is a separation between us and them, as Jesus will separate the goats from the sheep on the Day of Judgment.

When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left... And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
-Mat 25:31-46

This is going to happen to them if they do not come to repentance (i.e. grief and godly sorrow) of wrongdoing and faith in Christ. There is no avoiding this. Therefore, we need to make them aware of it, and one of the ways we do that is by assembling together with the saints, choosing to be intimate with those who we will spend eternity with.

I am aware that this is still a major problem even in our own church, that there are still quite a number who do not care about this very much. For that, I take some of the responsibility that I have not taught these things as thoroughly as I should have. I have so many things that need to be done, and this is just one more thing that I have on my "to-do" list.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

zachshrader

• Born Again Christians
  • Edification: 21
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Zachary
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 05:56:35 PM »
I'm guilty in that I dont make an effort to speak with any of you all, a part of the church and Im sorry for that.  That was definitely something that I needed to read Chris. I have sanctified myself from old friends however, I dont turn them away if they just suddenly show up to my house which has only happened once, and I told him about how I attend the skype call on Sundays and that I believe in God. All of my old friends were angry with me when I stopped being around them.   

Joshua JZB

• CLE Church Members
  • Edification: 27
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 07:48:20 AM »
Thank you very much for that Chris, I greatly appreciate it! This really helps my understanding, especially distinguishing between the terms company and fellowship. It also brings me a lot of piece of mind as this gives me a better sense of judgement to determine where the line of sanctification, so to speak, is drawn.

I still have a lot of work to do myself in this area, I am still a bit too intimately familiar with some people and I need to work on that. I think sanctification can be a lot harder than giving up sins and wicked things because we are fighting against our desire to be connected to people, which we are designed to have. But it becomes easier too when we keep in mind that it is the loving thing to do, because as you say, we need to be sending the message that God isn't accepting of sin.

I am also very thankful for this forum and that it gives us the means to connect with other Christians who are seeking God and take his Word seriously. I am looking forward to conversing with you all more! and hopefully on skype sometime too :)

Hi Zach, I hope you're doing well, and Iook forward to see you around on the forum!

For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth. - Psalm 74:12

Bouche

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »
personally, i did get rid of all outside influences before and it didnt work as work and life still crept in

i literally stopped all outside influence and it didnt prove for me to work as i expected

i dont goto church because its a farce and segregating myself hasnt quite worked either

the process of sanctification always seems correct

heathertaylor

• Born Again Christians
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Heather
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 10:33:05 PM »
I know this is an old topic but I needed to read this. Sanctification hurts but I know it's necessary. And this helped me see what I was doing right and wrong. And will try to use righteous judgement when deciding who we should have fellowship with and so far I have no one where I live. But I am so thankful for my church family at CLE
2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Cottage Camper

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 12:16:02 AM »
I seem to be finding all the right posts tonight. I do ponder who in my life I should cut ties with and who may be open to hearing the gospel. I don't have many friends, it's mostly family for me. Both my siblings & mom, as well as my husband & kids. None are born again. But I have had conversations with all of them about eternity, religion & the bible. I have made an attempt to share the gospel with each of them, yet I am always shut down or shot down rather quickly by each; and being that I do not want to argue with them, if they have a closed heart/mind, I just ask the Lord to work on them & bring them to repentance. My love for them keeps me hopeful that they will one day come to the knowledge of the truth.

As for separating for sanctification, as I mentioned in another post, I have seen my friends over time drop away from me. One in particular is a devout atheist who used to be my employer, but whenever she would propose us getting back to doing business together, I hear the Holy Spirit saying "be not unequally yoked with unbelievers" and I must turn it down.

This year I grew closer to a woman who shared an interest with me. She proclaimed herself to be christian, yet over time I noticed she would lie and I would tell her that the bible says all liars have their place in the lake of fire. She would make excuses. She used the nickname FROG and has quite the extensive collection of frog figurines/images/shirts, etc. She would tell people FROG was for Fully Rely On God, but I noticed she never talked about Jesus or the gospel or bible. About 2 months ago I spent a weekend at an event with her and her friend. The friend is apparently a nightly drunkard. I warned her that the bible says drunkards do not enter the kingdom of heaven and she got mean.  The next day I told the FROG woman she should use discernment about that friendship because the bible says "evil communications corrupt good manners." But the reality is, since then, FROG has pulled away from me instead.

I never had many real friends, but now, even fewer!

dmac

• CLE Church Members
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dylan
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 04:13:42 PM »
Joshua I can relate to that Ive tried speaking to truth to my unsaved friends they dont wanna hear so i just avoid the conversation but i know its not the right thing to do.

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 10
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Brian
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 08:34:52 PM »
Chris' comments are one reason I"m looking forward to participating in your online group worship. Especially after the covid scam revealed so many so-called believers not to be it can be challenging to find an authentic group. And it can be tempting to associate with so-called Christians that we should not be. Real believers forget or ignore the many warnings in the bible such as flee from evil.  God's word is so black and white sometimes. While that bothers some, that is one reason I love God.