Author Topic: God's providence and Casting Lots  (Read 1711 times)

A

God's providence and Casting Lots
« on: November 03, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »
I'd like to ask about the issue of casting lots.

From what I can remember,
From a Biblical standpoint, lots are cast when men must make a decision, but do not know what is the right or just action to take, and so they agree to leave the results to the draw of the lot, knowing that in the eyes of God, the matter is left to His providence, for Him to put His guiding hand on the process and determine the fate of the matter.
Proverbs 16:33 even mentions that "The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the Lord."

So, nothing that happens is truly random and is up to God to decide, right? So, regardless if I flip a coin, use a pseudo-random number generator(a computer program that generates somewhat predictable numbers based on a mathematical formula) or use a true random number generator like the one at HotBits or Random.org it is still up to God to determine the result right? I'd like to know.
{I heard from an expert that flipping a coin is not truly random and it is technically a physical version of a pseudo-random number generator, as with dice}

So, if I were to make a life-changing decision where the two possible outcomes of the "random lot" aren't sinful(and I can see no problem with them), but rather to leave the decision up to God to decide, there's nothing sinful about that, am I not right? There may be those who would say that this is an act of divination and witchcraft, so I'd like to know whether it's right or wrong.(I'm literally the type of person who sometimes overthinks a past judgement and ends up second-reasoning it whether the opposition's claim is true or not, so my apologies if it's obvious and this wasted your time)

clinton_post

Re: God's providence and Casting Lots
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 01:15:47 PM »
Do you have references where beleeuers did that?  Is it related to Urim and Thummim?  Because it is not casting lots.

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Re: God's providence and Casting Lots
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 07:34:08 PM »
Acts 1:21 Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22 beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. 24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen, 25 that he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place. 26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

I don't know how this was done, or if it is Biblical to do it today. It was, however, done by a group of people rather than one individual and the decision was something that affected the whole group rather than just one person. I haven't studied this matter, but offhand, I would say that it wouldn't be the best method for making decisions for your own life. I could be wrong about that, but you should pray that the Holy Spirit to guide you. It might also be a good idea to talk to other Christians you can trust about the situation.