Author Topic: The worst "Christian song" ever made.  (Read 2052 times)

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Caleb
  • Belief: Christian
The worst "Christian song" ever made.
« on: October 10, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »
Reading Chris' article about so called christian music reminded of a song that came out a few years ago. I heard it once and even though I may not be as good with discernment as many of you but the first time I ever heard It was obvious that this was completely demonic. It called the Break Up song and here are the lyrics
Sick and tired of being sick and tired
Had as much of you as I can take
I'm so done, so over being afraid
I've gone through the motions
I've been back and forth
I know that you're thinking you've heard this before
I don't know how to say it
So I'm just gonna say it, yeah
Fear, you don't own me
There ain't no room in this story
And I ain't got time for you
Telling me what I'm not
Like you know me well guess what?
I know who I am
I know I'm strong
And I am free
Got my own identity
So fear, you will never be welcome here
Take a minute, let it settle in
You probably never saw it coming
Something's gotta give so I give up you, oh
There's no room for you here
Yeah, I've had enough
The "No Vacancy" sign on my heart is lit up
In case you didn't hear it
Here it is again,
Oh, fear, you don't own me
Telling me what I'm not
I know who I am
I know I'm strong
And I am free
Got my own identity
Is there anybody out there just like me?
Anybody needing fear to leave?
If you don't know how to say it
Sing along with me
Sing fear, you don't own me
Telling me what I'm not
I know who I am
I know I'm strong, brave
And I am free
Got my own identity
Whoa, goodbye, goodbye fear
Whoa, you will never be welcome here

I want to see what you guys think but for me the worst part is the
I know who I am
I know I'm strong, brave
And I am free
Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
-Revelation 3:17
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26 Who can say that man is an animal?

heathertaylor

• Born Again Christians
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Heather
Re: The worst "Christian song" ever made.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 11:50:00 PM »
Before I was saved I used to sing this song and now that my eyes have been opened, This song is totally unbiblical. The verse that says " I've gone through the motions, I've been back and forth" That right there proves she is fake. We as believers do not go through the motions, only unbelievers (false converts) do.
This song as a whole is a lie from Satan. I know she is talking to "fear" like it is a person but my question is "fear of what?" Like this song all the sudden makes no sense to me. She has nothing to fear if she has Christ.
I understand this may be referring to the fear of man but why would you give any place for Satan with a song.

Ephesians 4:27-30
Neither give place to the devil.
Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Psalms 33:8 - Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.

This was my take on the lyrics and I am sure there is a lot more wrong with it but this is what stuck out to me.
2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

LABcrab

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 04:54:41 AM »
Hi Caleb and Heather! I think that many CCM songs could qualify as the worst CCM song, so I'm not sure that "The Breakup Song" by Francesca Battistelli takes the cake. I hope to review the song and Francesca's other music some time soon.

Here are some of my nominations for the worst song, solely in alphabetical order:
  • "Average Girl" by BarlowGirl - released in 2004, it became a fan fave. Not for me, though! The music and lyrics are weak, as they promise a Prince Charming to every girl that follows Jesus... and sleeps like Sleeping Beauty for years. It might be true for Rebecca Barlow Guidi, who married this past September. The others? They launched a podcast this month, gushing over lustful boy bands of late 90s and early 2000s fame.
  • "Better Than Drugs" by Skillet - a 2006 song from the album Comatose, which was one of my fave CDs, the song makes for a bad filler. (Chris mentions the track "Whispers in the Dark" in his article.) It claims that Jesus Christ "let me forget", can "numb my pain", "is like wine", can "get me high", is "my addiction, my prescription, my antidote" and, of course, is "better than drugs". Further, the song "Comatose" talks about "an overdose of" Jesus, and the line "oh, how I thirst for you" is there, too. All this is definitely out of place.
  • "Brainwash" by Nicole C. Mullen - released in 2008, I first heard this song years later on CCM radio, where it still plays today. Mullen's first album launched in 1991, but she is best known for her worship hits: "Redeemer" in 2000, and "Call on Jesus" in 2001. Sadly, her song "Brainwash" is nothing like this. Brainwashing as defined by the dictionary is not at all how Jesus operates! This makes me question Mullen's earlier worship music. Sadly, she was divorced twice since starting her career. I pray she finds Jesus.
  • "God's Not Dead" by the Newsboys - a Passion song from 2010, it became famous (or rather, infamous) when Newsboys released the song and album in late 2011, later used to promote the cringe-worthy God's Not Dead  "Christian" film trilogy in 2014, 2016 and 2018. Yes, these films are mocked by atheists, and packed with bitter leavened doctrine.
  • "Jesus Freak" by dc Talk - (Please use "Find on Page" and enter "Birds of a feather" to read.) Released in 1995, it is considered a signature song in Christian Rock and CCM. Many artists covered it, the song's album has the same name, a companion book was released, and dc Talk even launched two Jesus Freak Cruises! The lyrics are messy: "all the me I've divorced" (I didn't know it was "divorced" until I read it today!), tobyMac's lines about a fat man with a "Jesus Saves" tattoo, and comparing salvation to a kamikaze... Seriously?

MeganIA

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 30
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Megan
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »
I listened to that Skillet album countless times as a teen. They were one of my favorites to see in concert too. Unfortunately, it wasn't the lyrics that got me off of them, but that they were trying to justify themselves sharing the same stage with musicians such as Marilyn Manson. Thinking about the songs though makes sense as to why me with my fake faith at the time thought that what they were singing was okay. 
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 71
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 02:47:08 PM »
"I know who I am
I know I'm strong, brave
And I am free"

Heard it thousands of times in the book of revelation and it rings truer as time goes on in 3:17: Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

Honestly sounds like tiktok buzz words used by the feminist and "body positivity" movement, either way it's often time a string of words by people faking it until they think they've made it, it's all standing on pretense, it's hollow. :(
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.