Author Topic: SSD recommendation?  (Read 546 times)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
  • Belief: Christian
SSD recommendation?
« on: May 26, 2022, 02:34:23 PM »
While processing videos on Sunday my 4TB external Hard Drive started to chirp like a bird and, no surprise, stopped functioning.
I took it to a computer repair shop on my route and for $20, after they had it for a couple of days, they told me they tried to copy the data from it but it didn't work.
It seems I've lost all my archived videos from 2021 and 2022.  :-\

The repairman recommended a Solid State Hard Drive because it has no moving parts and is more reliable.
Therefore I'm going to have to invest in one of those, but I'm not sure if one brand is better than another, and they cost about 5x more than a traditional HDD.
I've found SSD's made by PNY and SanDisk.
Does anyone have an educated opinion on a brand that may be a better investment than another?
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
    • Isaiah 42:12 Blog
  • First Name: Rowan
Re: SSD recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 11:28:16 PM »
It seems I've lost all my archived videos from 2021 and 2022.  :-\

I'm really sorry you've suffered that loss, Kenneth, but did you not back anything up? Although in saying that, videos would be a bit trickier to back up because of their size.

I've suffered two hard drive failures (one in 2016 and the other in 2020). Both times, the data on them was unrecoverable. But I suffered either no loss or minimal loss because I back my stuff up regularly and extensively. I use a mixture of USB drives and cloud servers (Microsoft OneDrive and Carbonite, in my case). So in the case of my own dead computers, I was just able to copy all my backed up files back to the new one. (Actually, not all - there were a few that I didn't need and so let go.)

If you had OneDrive on the computer that died, log into it when you get a new computer. You might find the videos are still there after all. Microsoft seems to save everything to OneDrive by default nowadays. Otherwise though, they probably are lost. :( Sorry, I don't know much about SSDs, so can't answer that question. But I just wanted to give you a heads-up about backing things up so that you can avoid this happening again. A hard drive failure could well occur again, but loss of data doesn't have to.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 11:31:15 PM by Rowan M. »
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 08:18:34 AM »
Kenneth, but did you not back anything up?
All the videos are on YouTube except the ones from last Saturday I'd hadn't finished processing yet.
I've started downloading them, but it's going to take quite a long time at 150 - 200KB per/sec. It is actually 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 that I don't have copies of on hand.
Files from '16 - '18 I have on a 5TB HDD.
My plan now is to use a SSD to process videos and then transfer them to that 5TB HDD, which I will keep unplugged when not actually transferring files to minimize wearing and tear.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 07:30:46 AM »
It might be worth making a bootable copy of a Linux distribution on a thumb drive and booting from that and seeing if it can see your hard drive and recover files.  There are numerous times when I have used Linux to recover files for people from drives that Windows refuses to look at.  One of my 250GB drives is from a Post Grad student years ago that Windows had given up on and I use it all the time and it never misses a beat.

Even if it's chirping, it's still worth a try.  Because I use AntiX Linux, I recommend making a bootable AntiX thumb drive.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 08:15:21 AM »
I took it to the dump this morning.
Nonetheless, how does one make a bootable copy of Linex on a thumb drive?
Is there an instructional video I could follow?

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 11:06:23 PM »
Most people on Windows use Etcher to create the bootable thumb drive.

https://www.etcher.net/download/

Run Etcher and choose the source *.iso file you want to image on to the USB drive.  When required, choose correctly the drive you are imaging on to i.e. the USB drive and go ahead with the imaging. 

If you choose the wrong drive to image on to then that drive will be written over and all of the data will be lost.

I'm assuming you have a spare USB drive that you can write over to create the bootable.  If not you might be able to buy one from Staples which is where Michael Sussman buys his. :P 

The mirror sites for the AntiX Linux download are here
https://antixlinux.com/download/
and I'll let you pick which USA site you want to use.  The file you will be wanting to download and save on to your local hard drive to use as the source file will be
antiX-21_x64-full.iso    and it is 1.4 GB

After setting up on to the USB drive and booting from that
On the live AntiX system, username login = demo, username password = demo

Let me know if any problems.  A pity you took the drive to the tip as it might have still been good.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 11:12:41 PM by anvilhauler »
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)