Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Elissa
  • Belief: Christian
Hello!
« on: September 21, 2020, 12:38:32 AM »
My name is Elissa (but I mostly go by my family given nickname, Ellie) and I am a 20-year-old living in Northern California. I am very thankful that I came across CLE because God has opened my eyes to a wide variety of topics... the most important one being repentance.

Most of my family identifies as Catholic but a lot of them aren't very "religious" about it, so I didn't attend mass and I was never confirmed into the church because I didn't do all the rituals but I was baptized as a baby. So the intellectual knowledge I had of God was very limited and most of what I knew about the Catholic church traditions came from attending family funerals.

My parents split when I was 9 and finalized their divorce sometime after, and from my perspective, I believe that this caused something to change in me because I was angry and sad about the divorce and moving out of my dad's house. From then on, I believe the wickedness in my life steadily increased.

When I was a teenager I was in a very unhealthy and sinful relationship for a few years and when I ended it I was a complete mess which led me to living a rebellious lifestyle involving drugs, alcohol, and more fornication. I was very angry at the world at this point and I believe I just wanted to numb and distract myself from my inner corruption and despair.

I was also increasingly invested in liberal politics, feminism, and LGBT stuff. Sometime not long after my breakup I also began to identify as bisexual. I was heavily into demonic, sexual, and perverse music by people/bands like Lady Gaga and Panic! at the Disco. When I say I loved it, I mean it. I went to lots of concerts and dressed immodestly for the occasion. I was also into other stuff like yoga, meditation, and some other new age spirituality because I was trying to get some inner peace. Of course it didn't actually work besides providing some temporary false relief.

I met my next (and most recent) serious boyfriend a little over 2 years ago and he invited me to come to a seeker-sensitive megachurch with his family. I became somewhat interested in learning more about God and I eventually started to profess to be a Christian. After a year of community college I transferred to a "Christian university" and I began learning about the various doctrines of different denominations. I was attempting to learn how to be a Christian but I didn't have understanding at that point and most of what I learned was leavened at best.

I started attending a charismatic church that heavily emphasized prophesying and spiritual gifts. It was very puffed up in pride over it and I developed the same philosophy over time. There was also a lot of emotionalism and performance in the worship part of the service (it was an hour long, half of the entire service). I also attended a prayer meeting at my school affiliated with a college ministry. We mostly focused on pursuing spiritual gifts and signs and wonders. The guy who ran the meetings had us practice seeing into the spiritual realm (he also told us he could see angels a lot), prayed over us to receive the gift of tongues, laid hands on us in prayer to have us fall backwards, tried to teach us to prophesy (not biblically), to have visions, and once told us to try to ascend into the courts of heaven to receive an answer from God about something. (Yes... I know. It was really bad.) There was also an incident I wanted to note on here when gold dust appeared on almost everyone's hands in the room including mine. One of the girls who was probably the most charismatic had gold dust on her hands a lot after that apparently.

That was what happened in my first semester away at college last fall. I came home for winter break and I was skeptical of what happened at school, especially the "ascension" thing he asked us to do... that seemed to me like trying to have an out of body experience and even in my blindness I knew that was extremely dangerous and that I had never seen anything at that point in the bible that would command people to do that. But he had claimed to do things like that as well as teleportation. I was very disturbed by it and I decided I needed to rethink everything that had happened in general.

I decided that over the duration of my break I would read all of the gospels and research the things that happened while I was away. I spent a lot of my time doing that because I was very disturbed by what I had been involved in and I increasingly felt more and more ashamed to the point where I could barely eat anything. I opened to Deuteronomy 18 and I realized that we had been falsely prophesying. Also, later that month God opened my eyes to the meaning of this verse, and I spent lots of time in Lamentations as it comforted me and explained a lot of things to me.:
"Thy prophets have seen vain and foolish things for thee: and they have not discovered thine iniquity, to turn away thy captivity; but have seen for thee false burdens and causes of banishment." (Lamentations 2:14)

In my research I realized that we had also been doing things like divination, incantation, repetitive/vain prayer, seeking after signs and not at all after Christ, and worst of all I was prideful in everything.

I reached the point where I began to weep in the knowledge of my guilt on the floor of my bedroom. I cried out to God and I felt so ashamed about all I had done; I specifically remember crying out to Him again and again that I was a child of the devil and that I was so sorry. I begged Him for forgiveness. I had fully realized at that point how evil it was in God's sight that I had done all of these things in pride while professing Christ. I don't know how long I was crying on the floor but I was devastated, heartbroken, and disgusted with myself. I am still disgusted by how deceived I was because of the pridefulness of my heart. However, I am so thankful that God opened my eyes after a very short amount of time being involved with that stuff because I know many people can get caught up in it for much longer or just never get out.

I couldn't get the thought out of my mind that night that I was a child of the devil. I was thinking about it even after I had gotten off the floor and when I looked at myself in the mirror I couldn't see myself the same way anymore because the false image I had created of myself in pride was shattered. It came to my mind eventually that I should look at the verse of the day on my bible app, and it was this verse (yes, it was a new age version sadly):
"But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God," (John 1:12)

I began to weep over God's kindness in sending His Son so that a child of the devil like me could become His child. I had carried out the will of the devil for my entire life but God loved me and allowed me into His family even though I never deserved it and I still don't. I was still disgusted at myself but I had realized that Christ had died for me... I actually understood the meaning of it then because I knew more fully the extent of my guilt and sin and how repulsive and abominable it was. However, I didn't realize yet that what happened that night was repentance and faith given to me by God. There is a lot that I had to learn and relearn after that night.

When I told professing Christians about that experience, most of them would say things like: "Oh no, no. You aren't a child of the devil, don't say that." I got the general sense that not many people had similar experiences. This didn't really discourage me because I knew that was a significant night even though I didn't understand it. I began speaking against the false teachings from the previous semester and I could tell that some friends were offended by it but some agreed with me when I showed them scriptures about things like false prophesy, signs and wonders, and tongues. I posted this bible verse in the prayer chapel where the meetings were held next to the poster for the college ministry and I received backlash from some people in the group that were offended but I thought it was the perfect verse to hopefully warn people who entered the building either to attend the weekly meetings or just anyone in general.
"For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time." (Mark 13:22-23)

I started to attend a baptist church that spring when I was at school. I did end up learning some good things, but I also learned many false doctrines/traditions including the Greek word game, false meaning of repentance, and more. I was frustrated and confused because of all the conflicting doctrines I heard from all these different groups because I spent a lot of time listening to sermons online at that point as well as teachings at school. This ended up being problematic for me because I was deceived for a short time about keeping the sabbath and a couple other cultish things. I realize now that a lot of the deception and confusion about things resulted from me not trusting God's word enough and not knowing about the corruption of different bible versions, commentaries, and study bibles. I wasn't fully relying on God to teach me at that point because most people told me that all those resources were good and that was the way to study the bible.

With the false definition of repentance in my mind, I eventually started to question if I had ever turned away from my sin towards God well enough to have ever been saved and I was very sad because I still struggled with it. Sometimes I look back at this and I realize now that I was even repentant of my sin at the same time that I was questioning whether or not I was repenting well enough.

However, God answered my prayers for understanding continually and I am very thankful for that. I could see God's work in my life over time but I just didn't understand the repentance part of my salvation yet.

I ended up getting baptized at the church I attended after coming home after they sent us home due to covid, but over the months I was increasingly wary about certain things. I had questioned denominations before but I felt like I needed to look into it again because I usually just accepted people's usual justifications for it. I believe that was the first article I came across on CLE. I also read the 501c3 article and the teaching about leaven made the dots connect in my head because there were many times where I would disagree with the way bible passages were interpreted at church and I didn't know why we were coming up with something different. Anyway, I decided to talk to them about 501c3 and denominations and it didn't go very well (I wasn't really surprised by that but I was still hopeful initially). So I let them know that I wasn't going to continue attending prior to last Sunday.

When I read the article on repentance I was extremely relieved. I see it all over the scriptures now and my eyes have been opened to so many things. I also find it very interesting how a proper understanding of repentance has made so many other doctrines more clear as well. I am also glad to say that I got a commentary-free KJB after mostly using a women's CSB study bible and ESV. God is teaching me how to rely on Him alone when reading the scriptures and it has been amazing.

I'm thankful that God led me to this ministry because I have learned so much from it already and I have benefited greatly from it. I am very young in my understanding at this point but as I have learned more about what it actually means to sanctify myself, I have begun to put it into practice as God reveals things to me.

Thank you to whoever took the time to read my very long post. I look forward to meeting some people on here and discussing doctrine with you. I pray that God would continue to bless this ministry and guide people to understanding through the work that is being done.

-Ellie
"Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better." (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

Laura

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 56
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Laura
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 07:47:47 AM »
Welcome, Elissa! I enjoyed reading your post. A lot of us here on the forum have been caught up in false ministries in our search for the truth, including me. With all of the different denominations and false doctrine out there it is no wonder that those same traditions and witchcraft are being taught and practiced at the so-called Christian universities. What are you studying or what do you want to do when you finish school? It is amazing how God was able to work in your life and lead you to repentance and this ministry despite all you have experienced. Have you seen the teaching Christopher did on the Catholic Church? You have found a group of true believers here. Welcome again!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 07:54:38 AM by Laura »

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 09:17:13 AM »
Hi Laura! It was so frustrating and confusing to see so many contradictions in teachings everywhere by professing Christians. That
"Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better." (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
Whoops! Sorry I forgot about the apostrophes. I will fix my response after I go on my lunch. Sorry Laura!

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 10:29:52 AM »
Well, first of all, that is how a born again Christian writes an introduction post. There are so many people who join and do not give any kind of actual testimony in Christ, and it's just good to see to the few who have been given understanding by the Lord Jesus Christ.

As I read through what you wrote, I was mostly nodding my head and saying to myself, "Yeah, I know. I get it." I went through many of the same things in the process of growing in understanding.

Part of the reason that happens is because when you have a false preacher that is heading up a leavened church building, they only have a baby's understanding when it comes to Scripture. I'm not talking about history, lineage, or geography; I'm talking about the actual doctrine itself.

For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
-Heb 5:12-14

Those who are newly born again in Christ are babes, having a babe's understanding, but the leavened preacher is likely not born again in Christ, but also having a babe's understanding. Therefore, the babes will go to the false preacher to learn some basic things, not knowing that he/she is receiving leaven from that preacher at the same time, but will still consider him a good preacher because the babe does not yet know enough to have discernment because he/she is just learning the basics.

This means that the babe will grow, but the leavened preacher will not grow, and this eventually leads to the conflict, oftentimes ending with the growing babe being chided for not respecting the person of the pastor. Therefore, because many basic doctrines are not understood by those pastors, but are understood eventually (after some months of study) by the babes, it becomes a situation in which the lofty pastor with a degree is brought to shame by the lowly new Christian who is humbled before God.

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
-1Co 1:26-31

If you read/heard my testimony (either on the website or in teachings), you will know that I also did not understand what happened to me when I was saved, but the difference is that I did not come to understanding until almost 10 years later. I'm just glad you learned it so early on because it will be very beneficial for Jesus Christ, for you, and for your family.

A curious question though, I read that you had picked up a KJB, which is great, but I noticed that when you quoted John 1:12 and Mark 13:22-23, you quoted them from the ESV -- was that accidental? I am not condemning you; I was just curious if that was an accident or not because it seemed contradictory to your statement, and it also seemed strange considering that you quoted the KJB with Lam 2:14.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 12:04:58 PM »
Laura,  to continue with my post before it got cut off...
That is another reason why I am glad to come across this ministry.

I was studying English, then I switched to social work but I stopped doing that because in the code of ethics they wanted us to affirm LGBT lifestyles in our clients and I couldnt go against Gods word when it comes to that. I switched to another major but I ended up deciding I would come home and withdraw from the university (George Fox, a school in Oregon) because it didnt sit right with me because I would need to get a masters degree for that major. I have always had the desire to get married and have children and it did not seem like a wise choice for me to spend so much money (as well as my parents because they were footing almost all of at least my bachelors) on a bachelors and then a masters degree just to end up likely staying at home within several years of getting it, if the  Lord is willing to have me marry in that time frame anyways. I then applied and got accepted to Liberty online for English but then that scandal happened with the president of the school (I am guessing you guys have heard about it? It was all over the internet)  I was very disappointed in the way the university almost refused to speak against his sinful actions. That was the first straw and then in one of my first English assignments they wanted us to read literature on the Greek gods and my heart dropped because I cant handle that stuff in my conscience right now. I dont exactly know how to explain it but I just couldnt do it. So I withdrew and am currently just working a retail job while I figure out what the next move should be in that area.
And yes I have listened to the YouTube teachings on Catholicism but I will have to read the full article. Thank you for the warm welcome!

Chris,

All of what you are  saying is making a lot of sense to me. I am sure the pastor found it strange that I was questioning things so early on after starting to attend the church and then ended up leaving because I got baptized there not too long ago. But I am honestly glad I found the 501c3 teaching when I did because we had discussed church membership at one point and I am glad I never had to deal with leaving the church after officially becoming a member.
I thank God that He took me out of all these things so early on. I am so undeserving of it but I am so thankful.
Yes, I understand why you ask that question. The verse from John I wrote the way I originally saw it that night, and the verse from Mark I copied the way I had it written in my journal so it was also the new age version. I hope that clears it up!

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 04:16:57 PM »
Hi Elissa (Ellie)

I also thoroughly enjoyed reading your introduction and even if it was longer it wouldn't be a burden to read because it was an account of someone coming to true repentence and faith in Christ.

Just about all of us here also became Christians around leavened church goers and pastors and over time we learned the truth and separated ourselves from them.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 04:49:05 PM »
Hi Kevin,

I am glad that it was not too long of a post and that it brought glory to the Lord in His mercy towards me. I did so much wrong in my life but He is so merciful. I also enjoyed writing it because it definitely humbled me to remember all the details even though it was not actually very long ago.

I am very glad to have found this forum. Thanks for your response!  :)

Shannon

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 14
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Shannon
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 08:20:28 PM »
Hi Ellie, I also really enjoyed reading your post. Praise the Lord Jesus Christ for all He has brought you through at such a young age. It's very encouraging the Lord pulled you out so quickly of the deception of the charismatic church. That is a very dangerous movement. A few years ago I saw a video of Bethel Church in Redding, CA where the "gold dust" was falling from the ceiling. Bill Johnson of Bethel, actually spoke at my former church in Dallas and it was one of the things I brought up to my small group leaders (when I was telling them I was leaving the church) that our "pastor" was endorsing and letting anyone come speak. The problem was they were huge supporters of Bethel and likely didn't want to believe what I was telling them about the "pastor" at our church and other wolves being invited in.

I can definitely relate to a lot of what you wrote. My parents divorced when I was in kindergarten and the primary reason they did so was because my mom was cheating on my dad with a woman from her drug rehab group. My mom continued to fornicate with women probably for roughly a decade (she passed away from pancreatic cancer in July 2019). I never personally got into doing drugs mostly because I saw the destruction it did to my family. Both my parents suffered from drug addictions spanning 35+ years. 

Three years ago (March 2017) I was visiting one of my friends in Southern California who I ran cross country and track with in H.S. (I grew up in SoCal). She had made a very lengthy FB post (February 2017) about feeling suicidal her whole life, but on this particular day she was posting (on her 27th birthday) she was praising her medication for allowing her to experience her first birthday where she didn't want to kill herself. I talked to her on the phone about her post within a couple days and prayed about the Lord opening up an opportunity for me to visit with her if it was His will that I made the trip.

When I got out to CA a month later I asked her if I could share my testimony with her (which she was partially familiar with) and she agreed to listen. I had completely forgotten that years before she had come out as bisexual and so when I shared about my mom going into that lifestyle and coming out years later because she felt convicted to leave it, my friend erupted (yelling and cussing me out for saying the LGBT lifestyle was a choice). She also yelled at me for "trying to convert her", but inside I laughed about that because I know I have no power to convert (only God can give the increase, 1 Corinthians 3:6). We were supposed to meet up with two other friends for a hike, but because she was so heated we canceled that. I had never seen the rage I saw in her that day at any other time and I told her numerous times to drop me off in the neighborhood in LA we were driving through and I would wait for a family member to pick me up. She didn't want me to wait for anyone and of course the awkward car ride to my dad's house got extended even more when she missed the ramp we were supposed to take. I was in the car with her for about 2.5 hours listening to her try to give an analogy about ice cream flavors and how that related to LGBT. I am thankful the Lord helped me stay calm and collected while she was yelling at me (she didn't yell at me the whole time, but was extremely upset).

About a month later she posted another lengthy post on FB actually stating for people to read Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" song saying it was "legit". She also referenced some other movies that related to sexuality. It is so sad how influential these types of things are on people.

I am so glad the Lord pulled you out of the lifestyle you were going down and brought you to repentance and faith.

MeganIA

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 30
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Megan
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 10:09:35 PM »
This was well written, Ellie. What a testament to Jesus Christ your journey to repentance and faith is! There were so many things to relate to. I too had to have people from outside my family come into my life to give me scripture even though it came with some false doctrines.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

heathertaylor

• Born Again Christians
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Heather
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 11:51:00 PM »
Hi Ellie. I am new to CLE as well. As I read your story it paralled with me. I went through very similar things and questions and concerns. As I went to a church for 14 years and dedicated my time there.. I always seemed to have this voice behind me saying something wasn't right but just kept believing the pastor. When I stumbled upon CLE message on Repentance.. Everything changed. I was bawling so hard and it kept pouring out while I sat on my couch listening to the true meaning of repentance. I cried like I never had before. So broken that I had continually broke God's heart so many times and led people astray.I was so upset that I had been lied to for so long. Mad that I didn't catch it. Jesus Christ pulled me out of the darkness. Now we can look to God's word in the right way. So glad you are here.
2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 04:46:26 AM »
Hi Ellie! What a pleasure it was to read your testimony! I wish everybody who came here would write like that. So many times, people come on here claiming to be Christians, but then it's like pulling teeth trying to get them to tell us when, where, and how they were saved, and then they get all offended when we ask them about repentance. Praise the Lord that He has opened your eyes and brought you to a knowledge of the truth of His Word!

I'm so glad you found us here, and I can already tell you are of like mind with the rest of us. Just out of curiosity, though, how did you find us? Were you searching for some particular topic when the CLE site came up?

I, too, look forward to getting to know you better and having you take part in our discussions.

madonnajean

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 3
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Madonna
welcome
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 05:20:36 PM »
Welcome Ellie; to CLE forum. I was blessed by your testimony and marvel at how God saved you at a young age. So many of us had to go to leaven churches  myself included before God opened my eyes to all the false pastors and teachers in these church buildings. I look forward to getting to know you and seeing how God will grow you as you, desire the sincere milk of his word.     
1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Madonna

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 10:09:06 PM »
Hi Shannon,

Hi Ellie, I also really enjoyed reading your post. Praise the Lord Jesus Christ for all He has brought you through at such a young age. It's very encouraging the Lord pulled you out so quickly of the deception of the charismatic church. That is a very dangerous movement.
Praise Him, indeed! :) I am very thankful that He brought me out only after a few months, because as you said it is very dangerous. It's seductive for people who know they're guilty of sin but they want to fulfill desires of the flesh and distract themselves from it... deceptive signs and wonders do that very well.

I had completely forgotten that years before she had come out as bisexual and so when I shared about my mom going into that lifestyle and coming out years later because she felt convicted to leave it, my friend erupted (yelling and cussing me out for saying the LGBT lifestyle was a choice). She also yelled at me for "trying to convert her", but inside I laughed about that because I know I have no power to convert (only God can give the increase, 1 Corinthians 3:6). We were supposed to meet up with two other friends for a hike, but because she was so heated we canceled that. I had never seen the rage I saw in her that day at any other time and I told her numerous times to drop me off in the neighborhood in LA we were driving through and I would wait for a family member to pick me up.
What you wrote about your friend's rage sounds very familiar to me. I know that type of reaction very well, as I also had many friends who identify with LGBT lifestyles. I found it interesting that your friend reacted in rage even though it was about your mom's conviction to leave the lifestyle. It seems that was enough to have her conscience bear witness (Romans 2:15) to her even though it was not a direct rebuke towards her.
Thank you for sharing a bit of your experience and for your response.  :)

-------

Megan,

Thank you! I am thankful that God is so faithful in leading His sheep. And yes, it is interesting to have to sift through everything I have learned at this point. Because there were definitely some good things I have learned but a decent amount of leaven. But I know I just need to trust God and His word. Thanks for your response!

-------

Heather,

I am glad to hear from a fellow new member. :) I know what you mean about having that voice saying something isn't right. Both before and after I came to repentance and faith that has happened to me.

I was so upset that I had been lied to for so long. Mad that I didn't catch it. Jesus Christ pulled me out of the darkness. Now we can look to God's word in the right way. So glad you are here.
I can completely relate to this, too. Learning what true repentance is (and that I already had it) was like a breath of fresh air but I felt upset that I never knew it before because there are so many parts of scripture that just open up when you understand that. I really, really love this verse from scripture and I'm glad I heard it from Chris' teachings because I haven't gotten to Ecclesiastes yet. But it just hits home and brings a lot of comfort to me.
Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better. (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

Thanks for your response and I am touched to hear a bit about your testimony. I'll have to make my way over to your intro post since you are also a new member.

------

Jeanne,

I am honestly so glad to tell my testimony in a place where other people can relate to it after most people I talked to in person couldn't. It was also good for me to write because it is humbling to think about every time.

I'm so glad you found us here, and I can already tell you are of like mind with the rest of us. Just out of curiosity, though, how did you find us? Were you searching for some particular topic when the CLE site came up?

I, too, look forward to getting to know you better and having you take part in our discussions.
I believe the first article I came across on here was the one about denominations. I had been questioning the concept of denominations because it kept coming back into my mind after I would periodically accept the usual justifications for it--but I couldn't see where the scriptures justified it (because it doesn't, of course).
Thank you for your response. I am thankful to be here.

-------

Madonna,
Thank you for your response. I am so thankful that God saved me at a young age and took me out of many false doctrines already. I can tell that it isn't very common for that to happen after hearing several testimonies about it. But Praise the Lord Jesus Christ that He has led all of us up to this point, no matter how long it took. I pray He would continue to lead His sheep out of the deception.
And thank you for that bible verse. :)

heathertaylor

• Born Again Christians
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Heather
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 04:23:32 PM »
Laura
Yes. The Holy Spirit has tried to get me on the right path to Him my whole adolescence and plus the 14 years of the church we went to. Even my children seemed different from the other kids. I can't wrap my mind around why He loves me so much. I look back now and it all makes sense now. All the things they practice, the feign words and actions. The facade of outward appearances. Those folks are lost. As was I. But when i tried to teach truth..they wanted nothing to do with it.
2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Shannon

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 05:15:40 PM »
Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) -Romans 2:15

Yes, definitely! Even telling my friend indirectly got her fired up and extremely offended. A month later, I could tell she still hadn't gotten over our conversation, based on her FB post. 

Quote from my former friend (April 2017): "...We cannot choose the shapes of figures we are physically attracted to [Read: Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" is legit.] Kind visit a library if you are still unclear about this, as you are behind the times and need to get caught up. People are unnecessarily suffering because of widespread lack of knowledge, while sexuality is in actuality a widely-studied subject. There is still a lot that we do not know, but one of the major conclusions drawn is that being gay or straight is not a choice. Just like some people are born left- or right-handed, some people are born asexual, homosexual, pan sexual heterosexual, or really, any shade of the rainbow...

The word that got her super heated was when I mentioned it being a choice, which she brought up in her post (saying sexual orientation isn't a choice).

She is a Genetic Counselor and should know that there hasn't (and won't ever be) a study that has concluded there is a "gay gene". 

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 06:51:57 PM »
She is a Genetic Counselor and should know that there hasn't (and won't ever be) a study that has concluded there is a "gay gene".

As a Genetic Counselor she of all people should know that nucleic acid bases can not chemically form on their own and that the sugars ribose and deoxyribose that also make up DNA have still not been able to be synthetically made in the lab and so they also definitely didn't form up in some puddle or a cave somewhere as a result of normal chemistry.  Add on to that that the nucleoside base has to then be phosphorylated to make it in to a nucleotide (A, G, T, C) which is thermodynamically totally impossible.  Even if there were a whole bunch of nucleotides filling up the world there would still be the problem that nucleotides don't just join together by themselves to form up DNA or RNA and then even if you could get them to do that there would be the problem that the order has to be correct to make it that of functional DNA or RNA.  And just to make it even worse, even if you had a perfectly coded piece of DNA or RNA it's of no use because the ribsome hasn't magically come in to existence by that time.  Only God can have ever created life.

If you're ever in touch with her again, send her what I just wrote and if all went well it would cause her to think and change her ways   .....  and if not then she definitely won't be your friend any more.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Timothy

• Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 157
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Timothy
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 07:30:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum Ellie. I also really enjoyed reading your testimony.

One of the most frustrating things for me after I got saved was that there are so many denominations that interpret the Bible in different ways. I barely knew anything about the Bible at that time and I couldn't figure out who to believe. It took me a while to finally start studying the Bible on my own and trusting God to teach me through His word and it's good that you are learning that very early on.

I'm curious about the gold dust that you mentioned. What did the people in that prayer group you were in say it meant and where it comes from?

Shannon

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 08:42:13 PM »
Thanks Kevin! That is some really great information. If I ever get in touch with her again, that would be fantastic to send to her.

The last time we were in contact was December 2019. Right after the short interaction over text message she blocked me on FB. Within the past month I saw she unblocked me, but we are not friends on FB. I haven't tried to see if she blocked my phone number. I'll continue to keep her in prayer and if the Lord allows for another interaction I will see what she thinks about what you wrote. 

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 09:22:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum Ellie. I also really enjoyed reading your testimony.

One of the most frustrating things for me after I got saved was that there are so many denominations that interpret the Bible in different ways. I barely knew anything about the Bible at that time and I couldn't figure out who to believe. It took me a while to finally start studying the Bible on my own and trusting God to teach me through His word and it's good that you are learning that very early on.
Hi Timothy, I felt that same frustration. I questioned my repentance because I never knew the true definition of it so I questioned whether or not I was actually saved for a while. So the frustration was extremely intense when I saw how conflicting all the doctrines were of all the denominations. I wondered where truth would be found in those groups because they all preached so many things and all claim to be the "right" denomination and have the "right" interpretation. I asked myself how all those groups could possibly have the Holy Spirit guide them into different "truths," it just doesn't make sense to claim that. I also realize now that I was so confused by it because I wasn't trusting God's word enough and relying on the Holy Spirit and the whole context for interpretation as well as not knowing I should have been reading the KJB.

If anyone has any study tips they have gained through their experience studying the bible then I would love to hear them. I have read through the NT already and have read some books in there multiple times but I am still in the process of reading through the OT.

I'm curious about the gold dust that you mentioned. What did the people in that prayer group you were in say it meant and where it comes from?
When it happened, if I remember correctly, we were praying that God would reveal himself to us at the meeting. It was one of those "prayer sessions" where we were very vain, prideful, and repetitious in what we said. Someone in the meeting told us to look at our hands because he looked at his and saw gold dust on them. I looked down and I also had some in my hands.
People say that it's one of the ways that God can reveal himself to us through signs and wonders. One of the common phrases of these circles is: "don't put God in a box," which is usually in defense of these types of things that they consider to be "manifestations of God," but that don't have any foundation in the Scriptures. So they basically claim that God put the gold dust there. I still don't know exactly where it actually came from; I was sitting on the floor so I'm not sure if I touched glitter in the carpet or if it came from somewhere/something else.