Author Topic: What are strangled meats?  (Read 2743 times)

Ruth

What are strangled meats?
« on: September 28, 2020, 11:50:43 AM »

25As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.
(Acts 21:25)

28For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; 29That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
(Acts 15:28+29)

In the book of Acts, the gentiles are instructed to abstain from things strangled.

The Noah Webster 1828 dictionary defines strangled as:

STRANGLE, verb transitive [Latin]

1. To choke; to suffocate; to destroy life by stopping respiration.

Our Saxon ancestors compelled the adulteress to strangle herself.

2. To suppress; to hinder from birth or appearance.

I have also read that strangled meat refers to meat that hasn't had the blood drained out.

In the book of John, Jesus invites the disciples to eat fish, but if the fish were trawled in a net from the water, wouldn't they suffocate?

10Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught. 11Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken. 12Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask him, Who art thou? knowing that it was the Lord. 13Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish likewise.
(John 21:10-13)

My question concerns what would be termed as a strangled meat?

Are meats termed strangled meats because of the way they die (suffocation) or are they strangled meats because of another reason - maybe to do with the way the meat was prepared; if someone didn't drain the blood out from the fish after it was caught?
Would it be foods like shellfish/molluscs, or animals that have their necks wrung or are shot without being drained of blood?

MeganIA

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 30
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Megan
  • Belief: Christian
Re: What are strangled meats?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 01:07:46 PM »
Hi Ruth,

It was as far back in the bible regarding blood in the meat to when Noah came out of the ark. That is what I take the term "strangled" to refer to. The animal must be killed and drained of blood. However, as far as I know, the standard practices for processing animals in many countries involve draining the animal of blood. Strangling an animal to death is not common practice for obtaining meat as it makes it harder to get the blood out (also is very stressful to the animal), to my understanding, and I've heard the practice being banned in places.

Genesis 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

Paul made it clear to us that we don't need to be worried about buying meat in the markets. If it is available to purchase, Paul is saying that it is fine to eat.

1 Corinthians 10:25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:26 For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof.

If you are catching your own fish to eat, you probably wouldn't let it suffocate to death. You'd put it in water until time to prepare it and make a quick go of it so the animal doesn't suffer.

I hope that helps.  :) If anyone sees anything wrong with my reasoning, please let me know.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:12:21 PM by MeganIA »
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Ruth

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 02:33:28 PM »
Thank you for your reply, Megan.

It occurred to me after I posted that I hadn't checked Chris' teaching on Acts to see if it was discussed there.

I'll post a quote from the Acts article on the Creation Liberty website (The Book of Acts: My Notes on Chapters 11-15) and the link to the article if anyone is interested:

Quote:
"The things strangled is connected with abstaining from blood because an animal that is strangled dies with the blood inside. Cattle should be killed by letting out their blood, which is the most merciful way to kill the beast, typically by slitting its throat. The reason for this is because the Bible says the life of the flesh is in the blood (Lev 17:11), and that we ought not to consume blood since it is through blood that atonement is made for our souls. (Heb 9:22)"

Link: http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/bookacts3.php#15

I guess if you were filleting a fish you could deal with the blood then and there.

In 1 Corinthians, I'm not sure if Paul is referring to strangled meats as well here, or just meat offered unto idols - I could be incorrect; I'm not sure:

1Corinthians 10:25-31

25Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:

26For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof.

27If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.

28But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:

29Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?

30For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

31Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

I think my confusion is more with animals that are not cattle - like seafood/molluscs/birds that have been shot and hung - whether these would be considered strangled meats? I don't see how the blood would be drained from them prior to them being sold.

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 06:12:38 PM »
Even animals that are shot are drained of blood. The first thing a hunter does after shooting a deer is to hang it up and slit the throat. Something strangled would be more like a bird or a rabbit caught in a snare. Even then, though, if you can get to it soon enough after it dies, you can still effectively drain the blood. Bottom line, this directive is referring to eating meat with the blood still in it.

As for meat offered to idols, that generally isn't something we have to worry about, although I suppose you could consider Halal meats as being offered to idols since the animal has to be slaughtered by a Muslim according to a strict ritual.

I don't know that shellfish and mollusks actually have blood. I have bought prawns (shrimp) that have to be peeled but I've never seen any blood in them.

Ruth

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 08:16:27 AM »
Thanks, Jeanne.

I don't know that shellfish and mollusks actually have blood. I have bought prawns (shrimp) that have to be peeled but I've never seen any blood in them.

I think mussels and prawns have an open circulatory system with haemolymph - so not the same as a mammalian circulatory system with blood and blood vessels.

Leviticus 17:10-14:

10And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people.

11For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

12Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood.

13And whatsoever man there be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, which hunteth and catcheth any beast or fowl that may be eaten; he shall even pour out the blood thereof, and cover it with dust.

14For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.

When I read verse 13 I thought maybe blood was defined as just the blood of these animals (beasts and fowls), however I read on and God says we shouldn't eat the blood of "no manner of flesh", because "the life of all flesh is the blood".

I looked up 'flesh' in Noah Webster's 1828 dictionary to see if there was a distinction:

FLESH, noun [I know not the primary sense; it may be soft.]

1. A compound substance forming a large part of an animal, consisting of the softer solids, as distinguished from the bones and the fluids. Under the general appellation of flesh we include the muscles, fat, glands etc., which invest the bones and are covered with the skin. It is sometimes restricted to the muscles.

2. Animal food, in distinction from vegetable.

FLESH without being qualified with acids, is too alkalescent a diet.

3. The body of beasts and fowls used as food, distinct from fish. In Lent, the Catholics abstain from flesh but eat fish.

4. The body, as distinguished from the soul.

As if this flesh which walls about our life,

Were brass impregnable.

5. Animal nature; animals of all kinds.

The end of all flesh is come before me. Genesis 6:3.

6. Men in general; mankind.

My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh Genesis 6:3.

7. Human nature.

The word was made flesh and dwelt among us. John 1:13.

8. Carnality; corporeal appetites.

Fasting serves to mortify the flesh

The flesh lusteth against the spirit. Galatians 5:13.

9. A carnal state; a state of unrenewed nature.

They that are in the flesh cannot please God. Romans 8:1.

10. The corruptible body of man, or corrupt nature.

FLESH and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 15:39.

11. The present life; the state of existence in this world.

To abide in the flesh is more needful for you. Philippians 1:22.

12. Legal righteousness, and ceremonial services.

What shall we then say that Abraham, our father as pertaining to the flesh hath found? Romans 4:1. Galatians 3:3.

13. Kindred; stock; family.

He is our brother, and our flesh Genesis 37:27.

14. In botany, the soft pulpy substance of fruit; also, that part of a root, fruit, etc., which is fit to be eaten.

One flesh denotes intimate relation. To be one flesh is to be closely united, as in marriage. Gen 2. Ephesians 5:29.

After the flesh according to outward appearances, John 8:15

Or according to the common powers of nature. Gal 4:

Or according to sinful lusts and inclinations. Romans 8:1.

An arm of flesh human strength or aid.

FLESH, verb transitive

1. To initiate; a sportsman's use of the word, from the practice of training hawks and dogs by feeding them with the first game they take or other flesh

2. To harden; to accustom; to establish in any practice, as dogs by often feeding on any thing. Men fleshed in cruelty; women fleshed in malice.

3. To glut; to satiate.

The wild dog

Shall flesh his tooth on every innocent.

It does say in definition 3 that beasts and fowls are distinct from fish.

Although 'm not sure whether haemolymph would come under 'any manner of blood', because it helps sustain the life of the animal - although the composition wouldn't be exactly the same, and it wouldn't have a closed circulatory system like those of beasts and fowls.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 10:39:07 AM »
Ruth, you may want to do research on fish if that is your question. Looking to the Bible for answers about filleting fish is probably not the best idea because that is not why God wrote the Bible; it is for reproof, instruction, and philosophy for righteousness and doctrine, not butchering or kitchen techniques.

Fish have blood and blood vessels, but they do not have much blood. Often, a fish is either directly killed, draining its blood after cutting off its head, or if it is bought store fresh before gutting (as you might see a professional do on a YouTube video), the blood has congealed at the point of butchering, and since it is a such a small amount, it does not effect the meat. Even if it did, it would be quickly cooked out of the meat, just as you would with a steak.

Having to behead fish the moment you take them out of their natural environment would be impossible for those who make a living catching fish. There are far too many, and they need to be sold at market. The stipulations in Scripture were for vertebrate animals, who are living naturally in their environment and have much blood, like we do. You will notice that fish were not acceptable sacrifices in the temple (in the days of the Old Testament) because of the lack of much blood, and therefore, the same respect is not shown to shown to fish in the same manner because all animals serve their individual purposes.

As Megan had pointed out, buying things at the butcher or grocery store (which is one step away from the butcher) is fine, but I would add: So long as you do not have any prior knowledge that the animal meat in your purchase had be tampered with in an incorrect manner. If you have that knowledge, then do not buy it, but if you do not have that knowledge, then God will still bless it for the sake of our ignorance.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Ruth

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 12:43:45 PM »
Thank you for your reply, Chris
- I apologise; both Megan and Jeanne had answered the question I'd put in the subject heading - I got a bit hung up on how you'd drain the blood when I should have made sure I understood what the bible defined as blood and flesh first - and whether the animal even has blood.

Thank you for explaining this as well - it helped me to understand the commandment prohibiting eating strangled meats a lot better:

The stipulations in Scripture were for vertebrate animals, who are living naturally in their environment and have much blood, like we do. You will notice that fish were not acceptable sacrifices in the temple (in the days of the Old Testament) because of the lack of much blood, and therefore, the same respect is not shown to shown to fish in the same manner because all animals serve their individual purposes.