Author Topic: PsychoHeresy Awareness Ministries  (Read 684 times)

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
    • Isaiah 42:12 Blog
  • First Name: Rowan
  • Belief: Christian
PsychoHeresy Awareness Ministries
« on: December 02, 2021, 11:14:27 PM »
While listening to the latest audio teaching about psychology, I heard Chris mention Martin and Deidre Bobgan. Well they run a site called PsychoHeresy Awareness Ministries, and this is the main page of it:

https://pamweb.org/

This is their statement of faith, which seems pretty sound as far as I can make out:

https://pamweb.org/about-the-ministry/

One issue I do have with their statement of faith is that they don't define repentance. But they do say of Jesus Christ that "He mediates between God and man for those who are repentant believers". That's about the only place where repentance gets any sort of mention.

Also, I'm not totally sure about this: "WE BELIEVE that the 66 books that comprise the Bible are the plenary, verbally inspired Word of God, inerrant and infallible in the original manuscripts, and the guide and final authority in matters of faith and day to day life, interpreted by the Holy Spirit to each individual believer". I don't disagree with the statement as such, more the implication that the Bible can't be inerrant and infallible in a translation. However, they do seem to use the KJV in their works.

The site has been around for a long time - 28 years, in fact! I can remember visiting it many years ago, and it's still in my bookmarks. They have written a ton of books, some of which have free chapters, if you want to get an idea of their material:

https://pamweb.org/free-ebooks/

Probably one of their best works (or best-known) is James Dobson’s Gospel of Self-Esteem & Psychology. They also have Larry Crabb's Gospel, which Chris mentioned in his teaching. For any Spanish speakers here, many of their books and articles are also in Spanish.

Anyway, I think that if you want to explore the many problems with psychology further, this is a site worth checking out. It seems like a reasonably good resource for this particular subject matter.
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17)

Pilgrim Mike

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Micheal
Re: PsychoHeresy Awareness Ministries
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 09:40:40 PM »
They probably didn't define repentance due to ignorance which is obviously different than willful ignorance. Thanks for bringing that up. The article about psychology you mentioned, I'll have to start over because I was reading it on my phone and I lost my place where I left off. Again thanks for bringing that up because you helped remind me that I need to take notes next time so it'll stick with me better. God bless.

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
    • Isaiah 42:12 Blog
  • First Name: Rowan
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 09:53:45 PM »
Thank you for those comments, Pilgrim Mike. I was actually visiting that site again last night and have realised that a number of their books are available FOR FREE. I mean, they are available in e-book form, in their entirety. The free e-books include the ones about James Dobson and Larry Crabb. But then there are other books where only the first chapter (or one selected chapter) is free. All of their books can be purchased in paperback format. I didn't realise before that they actually offer most of their books free in e-book form, so that's why I wanted to add this little update.

Notes are certainly helpful for retaining things in the memory. I make quite a lot of notes when doing my Bible study nowadays. Apart from being a memory aid, they help me get my thoughts straight, and can also be useful for recording insights gleaned at the time.
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17)

Pilgrim Mike

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Micheal
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 01:58:03 PM »
Yes Rowan note taking has helped me so much. I've noticed some people well a lot of people nowadays, take notes on kindles and things of that nature. I've had a professor tell me that it's  been proven that you retain knowledge better when you have the book in your hands. I don't know about you but I used to use flash cards. I'd write scripture on them several times and just repeat the verses over several times. Depending on how you learn, you could try writing certain " key words " on the back and write the whole one on the front.