Author Topic: MacArthur and the mark of the beast  (Read 2618 times)

BPJohn

MacArthur and the mark of the beast
« on: April 22, 2020, 01:37:23 PM »
As some of you are probably aware, John MacArthur made some outrageous comments during a Q&A session about 7 years ago saying that believers can take the mark of the beast and still be saved in end times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQKxbUamUno

This generated lots of controversy with a lot of people on both sides who criticized and defended MacArthur for this. I have done my own reading of the verses in question from Revelation 14:9-10 (KJV)

"And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb"

What stands out to me is how the reading says ANY man, whether they are deceived or not based on Phil Johnson's defense of MacArthur, will be condemned to torment for eternity. And this is something that we have to be very careful about during these times, because as I have been reading in these forums and also hearing what Chris has been talking about, we have to be very careful about putting our faith in just men instead of the Bible, which is where God and Christ are talking to us.

Here is Phil Johnson's defense of MacArthur on the matter:
https://www.gty.org/library/blog/b131030

Here is a criticism of MacArthur from a blog called Watch Pairsite, I do not know if any of you might have been to this website, but I hope it does provide more insight about this issue as well.
https://watch.pairsite.com/macarthur-1-mark-of-beast.html

Does anyone else have their opinions about the comments made by John MacArthur on this matter?

I have done internet research and to this day he has not recanted that comment.

Blessings to you all.

John

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
  • Belief: Christian
Re: MacArthur and the mark of the beast
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 02:40:38 PM »
Do you follow his teachings and are asking what we think of what he said, or are you just exposed his teaching

BPJohn

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 02:49:13 PM »
I have personally not read any of his books, and not really sure that I will, unless it is for a case study. I am just asking everyone's opinion on this particular theological error that he has put out as it will endanger a lot of people.

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 05:32:43 AM »
My mother has listened to John MacArthur for years and continues to do so even after I have sent a lot of Chris's teachings to her. She said she sent me one of his books, called Just Jesus but I haven't gotten it yet. (My mother is in Michigan and I'm in Australia, so the post takes forever, especially with customs here checking EVERYTHING that comes in from overseas to make sure it is 'safe') Anyway, once I get it, I will try to go through and read it and note any errors I find.

As to his teaching on whether a person can take the mark of the beast and still be saved, I think that depends: 

Revelation 14:9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, 10 the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

The passage says any man who worships the beast and his image AND receives his mark will be doomed. Does this mean it will be possible to take the mark WITHOUT worshiping the beast or his image? Would that make any difference? I don't know...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:37:07 AM by Jeanne »

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 07:11:31 AM »
The passage says any man who worships the beast and his image AND receives his mark will be doomed. Does this mean it will be possible to take the mark WITHOUT worshiping the beast or his image? Would that make any difference? I don't know...

Surely taking the mark is worshiping the beast.

Revelation 20 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

No   .....  it's not looking too promising for those who received the mark.

Could they ever go back?

Revelation 19 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Once they are deceived then they have lost the ability to see the truth and it's all downhill from then on.

Matthew 11 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Hebrews 10 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him. 39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

MeganIA

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 30
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Megan
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 04:37:36 PM »
I think the mark will ultimately come down to if you have the Holy Ghost or if you will never have it. I don't think God will allow His people to be able to take it.

The mark in Ezekiel 9 sounds a lot like the mark that is about the 144,000. (starting at verse 5 is the edit. My phone kept cutting it off no matter what I took out.)

Ezekiel 9:4And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
6 Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.

This mark sounds like it was given to men that had repentance. Are we marked as God's when we come to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ, receiving the Holy Ghost? Those who don't have the Holy Ghost will surely take the mark of the beast.  Those that get the mark of the beast might not ever come to repentance. That's just where I am now.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:58:24 PM by MeganIA »
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

bluebird724

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 09:09:14 PM »
Revelation 13:16-18 states,"And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six." (KJV)

In my opinion, cryptocurrencies appear to have all the right ingredients to make this happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz8ymvqUMrU
I have attached a link to a documentary about bitcoin to show it's potential to fulfill the prophecy of Revelation 13: 16-18. Please let me know what you think  :)