Author Topic: Fantasy Novels: Invitations to Hell  (Read 1533 times)

lcbb1611

Fantasy Novels: Invitations to Hell
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »
I just wanted to ask a quick question to Chris regarding one of his comments on this article: "it is okay to like pagan things, but it is NOT okay to deny their pagan nature and origin, nor is it okay to blaspheme the Lord Jesus Christ by calling it "Christian."

I agree with this statement. Furthermore, I want to express my gratitude to Chris for making this article. I experienced sadness at the realization of men like C. S. Lewis and Tolkien clearly not showing any evidence of being saved, but it was truth that I needed which will prevent me from saying foolish things in the future. I was doubtful of them being saved due to their Catholic affiliations, but now all of my hope of their salvation is justly extinguished. Nevertheless, pertaining to this quote, I just want to be cleared up on a few ideas. Is the statement "it is okay to like pagan things" mean it's okay for us to enjoy some of the things we see in these stories (aside from the paganism/witchcraft endorsements of course)? What I mean is that if someone were to simply enjoy particular aspects that aren't rooted in these wicked concepts, that means their fine? I ask this because I have enjoyed the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, and Tolkien's works since being a little kid, as well as some of Narnia to an extent. Peter Jackson's adaptations of the Lord of the Rings, in my opinion, contain some of the best movie sets, props, directing, special effects, acting, and other aspects which make the overall product very impressive as a film. I understand that the people who made it were mainly non-Christians who had no qualms whatsoever with the pagan aspects of the narrative, and therefore, this literature does not glorify God or Christianity as some people claim. Nevertheless, I have respect for the effort it took to make these films, as well as Tolkien's ability to make captivating stories (but perhaps his involvement with witchcraft might be the case and so I must contemplate on that). In total, I enjoy the story of good prevailing against evil, the hero's journey, friendship, hope, and bravery. But thanks to you, I know where the Devil is in the details of runes, magic, and pagan pantheons, which I will expose as wicked. If you disagree, saying that I should not affiliate with stories like these at all, never watch them (because I don't plan wasting lots of time reading the books), stating I should never commend them because they are too tainted. I would be grateful for such an admonition.  Thanks once again for making the article, and continue to shine light where others may not want it to do so. God Bless. 

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Fantasy Novels: Invitations to Hell
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 02:29:24 PM »
I just want to be cleared up on a few ideas. Is the statement "it is okay to like pagan things" mean it's okay for us to enjoy some of the things we see in these stories (aside from the paganism/witchcraft endorsements of course)?
It's been so long since I did the teaching, I'm not sure what I said in the audio version, but I thought I remember expanding on that. For example, I like lights strung up around a house, and I have fond memories of going to look at lights strung up around houses around Christmas time, but now that I know they are pagan in worship of the sun, it makes me somewhat sick to see people doing that. My enjoyment of seeing lights strung up around a house is not sin, but what becomes sin is when we get lifted up in the pride of our hearts and lie to ourselves by refusing to recognized where the tradition came from, and what it represents.

Furthermore, to address the rest of the points you made in your post, I have not played Dungeons and Dragons (the pencil and paper game) in... umm... I can't quite remember. I want to say it's been about 10 years, but I can't remember for sure. Basically, it's been so long that I cannot remember. I still enjoy the concept, and the adventure and combat aspects of it, but the problem with the witchcraft in it has driven me away from it. Not only would such a thing waste my time because there is so much work to done, but furthermore, what example would it set for new Christians is they saw me doing such things?

So rather than thinking of ourselves, let's think on the things of others.
Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
-Phil 2:2-4

In short, your post is essentially asking me to tell you what to do in your home, and when I did those teachings, I made it explicitly clear that I refuse to tell you guys what to do in your own homes. As long as a man does not commit sin, it is none of my business what he does in his own home, but if he has conviction not to do a thing, and does it anyway, to him that is sin.
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
-Jms 4:17
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

lcbb1611

Re: Fantasy Novels: Invitations to Hell
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 02:37:00 PM »
Thank you for your response. I'll take note of what you've said.