Author Topic: The Gospel Message  (Read 200 times)

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christian
The Gospel Message
« on: December 19, 2022, 11:01:01 PM »
Most of us have met the people who claim to be Christians and their explanation for being a Christian is based on their belief that Jesus died on the cross for the forgiveness of their sin but there is little evidence of repentance in their lives.  It is interesting that in the gospels Jesus sent his disciples out to preach the gospel in the towns and Jesus also taught the gospel in the temple.

Luke 9 King James Version
1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

2 And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.

3 And he said unto them, Take nothing for your journey, neither staves, nor scrip, neither bread, neither money; neither have two coats apiece.

4 And whatsoever house ye enter into, there abide, and thence depart.

5 And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.

6 And they departed, and went through the towns, preaching the gospel, and healing every where.

Luke 20 King James Version
1 And it came to pass, that on one of those days, as he taught the people in the temple, and preached the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes came upon him with the elders,

2 And spake unto him, saying, Tell us, by what authority doest thou these things? or who is he that gave thee this authority?

At this time that the gospel was being taught to the people, no-one knew that Jesus was going to be crucified as the sacrificial lamb for the beginning of the new covenant, so the only message that must have been preached was the same as that of John the Baptist and that being repentance.  As we know the disciples were horrified when eventually Jesus let them know that he was going to be put to death in Jerusalem.

Over the last few days I have read Chris' online book again

There is No Saving Grace Without Repentance
https://creationliberty.com/articles/repent.php

and in places it comes close to showing this but continues in another relevant direction.  I thought I would post this just in case it was useful even for extra teaching in the book.  Of course later the relevance of Jesus' crucifixion and rising from the dead did have to be factored in with the coming to repentance as highlighted in the Book of Acts.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: The Gospel Message
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 11:51:10 PM »
It's a good point, and something I could add to it. What is "preaching the gospel" BEFORE Jesus went to the cross? Impossible to explain without repentance. It's a valid question that I look forward to asking a churchgoer the next time I get the opportunity (which is extremely rare because they can't maintain a rational discussion for very long).
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18