Author Topic: Introduce yourself: Hello  (Read 4521 times)

Ruth

Introduce yourself: Hello
« on: July 08, 2018, 06:29:42 AM »
Hello,

My name is Ruth and I am from England.

I don't really where to start this - I grew up in a non-christian household. I think my first notion that there was a God came from school - I remember we read the 10 commandments (for some reason they wanted us to list them in order of importance????) so I kind of believed there was a God and I would pray and read my NIV new testament and psalms, which I also got from school.

I was also of the belief that you had to be good in order to go to Heaven. I started attending the local village church with my grandmother, but it was more of a social club than a church. Judging by fruit, my grandmother still isn't saved.

When I got older I went to university, and was introduced to 'the world'. I feel grieved to post this: I wasn't a party-going type, but I was becoming increasingly nihilistic: I hated the world; I hated people - I would lie to them just to get them away from me. I  felt like an outcast, so I behaved like one. I gravitated to anything perverse, sardonic, or cult-like in terms of entertainment. I prided myself on my knowledge though I was a fool. I had suicidal thoughts, depression, body image problems. I dabbled in the occult, I believed I'd be better off being a man because I never really got on with women, and the majority of my time was spent acting out fantasies that were inside my head.

So I was bit of a mess. But I believe Iwas born-again about two years ago:

Due to my spiralling fantasy life, screenplay writing had become a bit of a hobby, although the things Iwas writing did not glorify God at all. But it gave me an excuse to 'research' topics that today it would be best to sanctify ourselves from. It was during one of these times researching that I came across a sermon online. I can't remember the full message but the man preaching against the sinful pasttimes that people indulge in, like going to the theatre, etc, and was asking what would happen if Jesus came back, and found you doing these things?

I then started to think about al the sin I had committed, how evil I was in my heart, and how much these things had grieved God. I was condemmned to hell and rightfully so. And Jesus died for me because of this. I didn't say a magic prayer or anything; I just remember being on my knees and crying a lot and wanting to say sorry to God over and over. I didn't feel happy, or peaceful or speak in tongues or have intense visions. I just felt broken. I felt like this for some time. I would think about Jesus's death on the cross and I would start crying again.

My family didn't take my belief in the gospel well. I was told I should see 'someone' (ie: a doctor); 'this person isn't my daughter', and I would recieve e-mails from my siblings suggesting that I had this or that diagnosis, or sometimes things like 'if you keep this {expletive} up you'll die alone'. (They're not so angry now I've left home, but they still haven't repented. Please pray for them).

I didn't really know where to turn so I went online, and to cut a long story short, got mixed up in many, many, many false doctrines that tested my faith and led me into a lot of confusion. But God is faithful.

The reason I have ended up here, I believe, is due to an answered prayer. I'd recently left a 'New Testament Church of God' over the doctrine they were teaching and some of the questionable practices they were doing. I was praying to find somewhere where people take God's word seriously, and I stumbled across some of the creation liberty teachings online.

I'm thankful to God for leading me here; I have much to learn and sanctify myself from, and the teachings here have helped me to learn the roots of things that have become common practice in churchianity. I really did benefit from the concordance/lexicon teaching as well - I used to rely on those heavilly to find out 'what the Greek says'...

Thank you for taking the time to read this post; it's got quite long, so I appreciate it.

Lord willing, we'll get to know each other over the coming months/years and grow together  :-)

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Re: Introduce yourself: Hello
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 07:22:18 AM »
Hi Ruth,

So many of us here can so relate to what you have gone through. I'm glad you found us, too! Although we are far from perfect by any means, we do the best we can to understand the Bible and what God really wants/expects of us. We are all learning, including Chris. He learns by doing thorough research on a topic and then writing about what he has learned and we are the beneficiaries of that study.

I look forward to getting to know you better, too, and I think I can speak for everyone here when I say we appreciate your honesty about the things you've been involved in. Rest assured you are not the only one with a sordid past! The Lord Jesus Christ is the only One who can save us from those things.

Hakim Mohamad

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 08:53:11 AM »
Hi Ruth,
thanks for sharing your story. Believe me, I know what it is like to live live with an attitude that the world owes you all the happieness that others seem to enjoy, except you. It is all a  lie but I know the bitterness and nihilism that comes from that, too.
Praise the Lord for his astonishing Grace, that He gave his life to save people like us.
I'm glad that my parents and my Sisters didn't react in such a mean and hostile way as you're describing here, but If I'm at home, nobody takes me serious and they believe that someone brainwashed me into believing an outdated and crazy superstition.
I think that they noticed that I'm Not the same as before, but around them I've noticed that I'm especially tempted to show my old behavior of being mean and angry towards them and to bully my sisters, especially the oldest one.
I have become more friendly towards them but I think the big difficulty ist that I'm living quite far away from home now and It's hard for me to be salt and light from a distance. Also they didn't know all the bad stuff, and the kind of people that I used to be involved with and separated myself from.
On the other hand I had a lot of crazy ideas when I was lost, and so they think that this "being born again thing" is just another one of these crazy ideas.
I pray that the Lord may also have mercy on them and they  might get saved.
Anyway, I hope that you feel welcomed here :-)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 09:45:47 AM »
I then started to think about al the sin I had committed, how evil I was in my heart, and how much these things had grieved God. I was condemmned to hell and rightfully so. And Jesus died for me because of this. I didn't say a magic prayer or anything; I just remember being on my knees and crying a lot and wanting to say sorry to God over and over. I didn't feel happy, or peaceful or speak in tongues or have intense visions. I just felt broken. I felt like this for some time. I would think about Jesus's death on the cross and I would start crying again.
That is wonderful to read; sadly, it's just so rare to hear that kind of repentance. However, it also goes to show that even leavened preachers can still teach enough basic truth that someone can be saved if God gives them repentance, which is why Paul said:
Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.
-Phil 1:15-18

I do not rejoice in the wickedness of preachers, but I do rejoice that, sometimes through them, Christ is heard by the people, and even on occasion, the law is taught by them, being the schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, even though that preacher may need prayer for the saving of his soul as well.
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
-Gal 3:24
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Angel

• CLE Church Members
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 3
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Angel
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 10:22:26 AM »
Hi Ruth - Thank you so much for sharing your story. Reading your testimony reminded me of so much of myself, before the Lord in His mercy and grace, opened my eyes to my sinful ways and placed the grace of repentance in me. Praise God for repentance and salvation. I live over in Scarborough, up north. Where are you located in England?

Ruth

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 02:39:59 AM »
Jeanne - Amen! He is the author and finisher of our faith and it's only through Him that I've got to this point :-) We are all learning, but one thing I do really like about this ministry is that when something is taught wrong, it gets corrected - I find this a very rare thing in ministries, not just online either.

Hakim - Yes, I think my family thought  I was going through a phase aswell. I love them; it's hard to see them making decisions that are going to hurt them later. We just have to keep praying for them; if it's God's will then their eyes will be opened.

Chris- I used to question my salvation a lot in the beginning because I'd hear other people's conversions and it didn't compare to all the supernatural ways other people got saved. I did get caught up in all the signs and wonders stuff for a bit - In my last place of fellowship there were people who appeared to have genuine repentance - but the message was coming from a female 'reverend' at the pulpit.
I'm thankful God brought me out of there but I am troubled over those who still attend that place because of the leaven there.

Angel - when I realised that it's our Father in heaven who gives us faith and repentance it put things in perspective. I live in a little town called Aylesbury - bit further south from Scarborough :-)

Thank you for such a warm welcome

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 06:30:00 AM »
Hi Ruth

Welcome to the forum.  I really enjoyed reading your introduction.

Kevin
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Suelong88

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »
Welcome Ruth!  Thank you for sharing!   :)

Masha

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »
hi Ruth,
like the others already wrote, many of us share (some of) your experiences. Walking with Jesus is not easy in this world of darkness. I'm sorry to hear about your family, I have had similar responses when I was saved from my family and basically everyone I knew. Everyone around me thought I had gone crazy!! I have not managed to lead any of them to the Lord, that I know off. that makes me incredibly sad at times. But the Lord knows.
I hope that you find comfort in in the Lord, and keep praying!
For now, welcome to the forum, I look forward to get to know you better.
Masha

Ruth

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 01:56:13 AM »
Thank you for the kind comments.

Even Paul was told his learning has made him mad by Festus when he shared his testimony (Acts26:34).

But we're also encouraged of this!

1Cor1:18:

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishnes; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God