Author Topic: Video Games: Causing Witchcraft to Prosper  (Read 3423 times)

lcbb1611

Video Games: Causing Witchcraft to Prosper
« on: January 20, 2021, 09:17:14 PM »
Hello. It's been a while since I've posted anything on this forum. I feel as though I've been led astray lately in my obedience to God. I have just reviewed this article [name posted on the subject title], and it has convicted me a lot more than the last time I saw it (about a year ago). I know what I'm talking about is off-topic to the political situation of the nation, and I would like to thank you a lot for your information about the Insurrection Act. It has given me a lot of hope.
Getting back to what this post is about, I wanted to confess a few things, and ask for some advice about how I'm supposed to move forward with confronting this issue of my flesh.
First off, I have always liked a good bit of fantasy literature and games (Lord of the Rings, The Legend of Zelda, etc.), because I grew up watching and playing them. I grew to enjoy the music that they had, and have formed deep nostalgia. Only recently have I understood the severity of their content which pertains to witchcraft and occultic influences. Now when I revisit them, these aspects are evident to me and always upset my spirit a little. However, these reservations haven't been enough to keep me from eschewing them completely from my life, because I often convince myself by saying that I'm just enjoying them for their themes of heroism, courage, good beating evil, providing me an escape from degenerate culture, and motivating me to be a stronger and better person. However, I feel like these are starting to just be excuses, and my fear of God's wrath is convicting me more and more. When feeling like Jesus is returning soon, I start to think that so much of my life has been a waste of indulging in fantasies which have led to self-isolation, and that I'm not going to be able to be on earth long enough to redeem that time, and have caused others around me to have wasted time as well.  When I think about completely renouncing these things entirely I worry that my brothers will call me a hypocrite or think I have a fickle mindset and not consider my reasons for such a change in perspective. Lastly, I mainly feel conflicted in all this because a part of me feels that I'm turning into a mentally unstable person operating only on fear. I hope that what I have written is coherent enough to understand. I think I will post more stuff of what has been on my mind later. God Bless.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Video Games: Causing Witchcraft to Prosper
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 10:04:58 PM »
I worry that my brothers will call me a hypocrite or think I have a fickle mindset and not consider my reasons for such a change in perspective.
You need to get rid of this right now.
You sound like you fear God, which is good, however you cannot fear man also. This maybe be part of your struggle.

Proverbs 29:25 KJV The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.

You should be prepared to lose your friends and family as you sanctify yourself from wickedness.
I'm not saying you will definitely will lose all those close to you, but you should have the mindset that it is likely to happen.

As you become more like Jesus you will be viewed like he was.
Mark 3:21 KJV And when his [Jesus'] friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself [crazy].
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Elissa
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 11:25:53 AM »
Hi Luke,

I am newer to the forum and I wasn't here when you made your intro post; I'm Ellie, nice to meet you!

First off, I have always liked a good bit of fantasy literature and games (Lord of the Rings, The Legend of Zelda, etc.), because I grew up watching and playing them. I grew to enjoy the music that they had, and have formed deep nostalgia. Only recently have I understood the severity of their content which pertains to witchcraft and occultic influences. Now when I revisit them, these aspects are evident to me and always upset my spirit a little. 
I can understand your draw to these things. When I was younger I used to be into fantasy books and I really liked the Twilight series (the books and movies). I mostly grew out of them over time even before I was saved, but I did watch the movies again for the nostalgic element they had for me probably a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, I was a false convert at the time and I didn't yet have the Holy Spirit, but I had some more basic awareness of spiritual things (as much as a false convert can have, really) and I started to notice while I was watching the movies that there was a heavy spiritual draw I had to them. The only way I can describe it is that it was seductive spiritually and it felt dangerous and evil. It's hard to describe but the spiritual aspects of these things are real and they can be very dangerous.

If you are truly born again in Christ through repentance of your sins and faith in Him for your salvation, then you have the Holy Spirit guiding you and indwelling you. It does seem by your intro post that you understand repentance. I don't know you beyond what you have written on here but I wanted to share this scripture:

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? (2 Corinthians 13:5)

However, these reservations haven't been enough to keep me from eschewing them completely from my life, because I often convince myself by saying that I'm just enjoying them for their themes of heroism, courage, good beating evil, providing me an escape from degenerate culture, and motivating me to be a stronger and better person. However, I feel like these are starting to just be excuses, and my fear of God's wrath is convicting me more and more.

If God is convicting you of watching and participating in and playing these fantasy games, then you need to repent and sanctify yourself from them. Based off this, it does sound like you are attempting to justify yourself and make something that is evil in the Lord's sight sound good and rebelling against Him while He is lovingly trying to reveal leaven in your life that you need to remove.

For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, he hath also rejected thee from being king. (1 Samuel 15:23)

I don't mean to sound too harsh, but I don't want to sugarcoat it. I have been absolutely guilty of justifying myself and ignoring convictions for a time, so I understand where you are coming from. I have been majorly rebellious and stubborn. It is a fault of mine. Sometimes it is hard to get rid of the nostalgic items from our past. But remember that the Lord will bless you when you remove yourself from the wickedness. I had my understanding opened vastly once I sanctified myself from things I learned were wicked and I had much more peace when I humbled myself before the Lord and accepted the correction that the Holy Spirit was trying to give me.

I worry that my brothers will call me a hypocrite or think I have a fickle mindset and not consider my reasons for such a change in perspective.
You need to get rid of this right now.
You sound like you fear God, which is good, however you cannot fear man also. This maybe be part of your struggle.

Proverbs 29:25 KJV The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.

You should be prepared to lose your friends and family as you sanctify yourself from wickedness.
I'm not saying you will definitely will lose all those close to you, but you should have the mindset that it is likely to happen.

As you become more like Jesus you will be viewed like he was.
Mark 3:21 KJV And when his [Jesus'] friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself [crazy].

I agree with Kenneth on this. You will lose people around you when you begin to what is right in the Lord's sight.

51Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
(Luke 12:51-53)

I encourage you to spend some time in the Word and in prayer over this. Us who are part of the Church will all eventually face pain from being shunned by our past friends and family members. While it can be hard, especially at first, these things are good for those who are born again in Christ because this is how we grow.

3And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

5And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. (Romans 5:3-5)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:43:06 AM by EMS »
"Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better." (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 11:40:11 AM »
My previous post was already long, but I also did want to share these scriptures because they stood out to me because of what you are going through.

1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

9 Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted:
10 But the rich, in that he is made low: because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away.
11 For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways.
12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Your faith is tried when you recieve pushback from others because of sanctifying yourself. But I believe that once you begin doing so, you'll reap the blessings of God and your faith will increase.

Lastly, I mainly feel conflicted in all this because a part of me feels that I'm turning into a mentally unstable person operating only on fear.
This stood out to me as well because I have felt this before too. But it was mostly because I was not acting in faith with the convictions I was having, and I was being double-minded. I felt crazy because I couldn't discern what was right because I kept making excuses for myself despite my persistent conviction from the Holy Spirit. But through fervent prayer, God will reveal it to you if you are one of His and He will give you more clarity on what is right. If you are operating on the fear of the Lord, and not the fear of man, you're in a good place. He will answer His children when they ask Him in faith for what they need.
"Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better." (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

Joshua JZB

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 27
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 10:06:01 AM »
Hello Luke,

Ellie and Kenneth have already given great scripture and advice. But I thought I'd share as well as this article is actually how I came across CLE, and where I was lead by God to learn that I needed to repent.

I found the article because I was seeking to justify myself, because I had been convicted about the contents of my videogames, though I knew for a long time that there was something quite wrong about them. I would always get annoyed and lifted up in my pride whenever someone would dare suggest if anything in my beloved video games of tv shows were demonic. I always thought people that those types of people were paranoid as well, and the type of people who would flee to the country and have no internet access. Never thought I'd ever agree with them on this!

After reading the article I become very distressed, and was down in the dumps for a good part of the week, because videogames were pretty much what I lived for, they were my idol 100%.

"He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal." -John 12:25

I had never been so depressed about anything up to that point, cause I know I had to give them up.

"For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death" - 2 Corinthians 7:10.

Once I had finally accepted that they were wicked, like Ellie, God began to reveal so many things. But most importantly that I needed to repent towards God to be saved.

I didn't turn away from all videogames completely however. The main videogame series I use to play, which was Final Fantasy, I accepted that most of them were not fit to play because of their demonic summons that featured in the game. However I still continued playing the Kingdom Hearts series because the magic in that game was a little more easier to excuse, but there was still plenty of dodgy stuff that I looked past as well.
When I continued to play the games, I was the only one home for a while as my family were away. I remembered being afraid to be in the dark again, having strange and irrational fears when being alone. And we don't know the full extent of how these things are affecting us.

The other thing though is that in these types of media that are entrenched in witchcraft often teach doctrines that opposite to the doctrines of Christ. For example, in Kingdom Hearts 3, Mickey Mouse says "May you heart be your guiding key." Whereas the Bible says "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" - Jeremiah 17:9 Another example is Minecraft. Now after all the witchcraft we're used to seeing, most people give it a pass in terms of occult content. But really, when you consider the monsters that come out night, zombies and skeletons etc, and how over time in updates they've added things like cauldrons and the ability to enchant weapons etc, there is actually a lot of witchcraft in this game. Yet I believe that there is something that the game communicates that is often missed by most people. In Minecraft, Hell is just a place you can visit, where you can come and go as you please. It's called the Nether officially, but in the early development it was actually called Hell, but everyone already knows what it's supposed to be.
Minecraft subtly communicates to people that Hell isn't a place you should be afraid of, but a place you can go an conquer. Massively downplaying the wrath of God. This is the only thing that makes sense to me as to why the game is so massively popular.

For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth. - Psalm 74:12

Joshua JZB

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 27
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 10:11:45 AM »
(continuation of post oops)

"And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God." - Luke 16:15

Videogames are an excellent example of the truth of the verse. An example from another game I poured 3,500 hours of my life into, was Final Fantasy 14. Now that time doesn't include all the time I also spent obsessing over it, watching videos and keeping up to date on the news, and so and so forth. This game is an MMORPG, it's online so you you play with other people. Chris did well to warn us of MMOs in his article, because they are truly never-ending, and it will suck away your life.
In these types of games, they add expansions to the game, which is a whole heap of content, equivalent to a whole new games in of itself. Since it's relaunch it's always been quite popular, but it's most recent expansion was by far the most popular, its story rivaling the other giants of the series. But by far it is the most wicked.
It's called Shadowbringers. You're character, the warrior of light, must now become the warrior of darkness because there is a flood of light (the pagan ying and yang idea that light and darkness must be in equilibrium.) The enemies you face are called the sineaters, demonic creatures of the light, and you need to go around killing these lightwardens to contain the light (on top of other nonsense  ::) ) There are many other wicked details, for instance the astrologian class (a class that uses tarot cards to cast magic) its new final skill was literally called divination! But I think what really set it apart, was that the I believe that the story line actually conditions you to have sympathy for the devil and his fallen angels for being cast out of heaven, at least that's what I gathered from details I looked at. Cause I never actually played this expansion.

However believe it or not, I was intending to play this expansion. In classic addict fashion, I thought I'd play one more expansion, then that would be the end of it. One more drink! But God convicted me big time, he couldn't let me play such an abominable game. And I deleted my character and all the hours I put into it.

We must cast away our old lives, and remember Lot's wife, to not be like her. And thank God that he is so merciful and patient, because I am have been guilty of being like her. :-[ Having fond memories of these wicked abominations has been one of the hardest things to overcome. It's true that the nostalgia can be so powerful. But really I am concluding that nostalgia is really a problem of idolatry in the heart. But we mustn't forget that these idols are wicked in the sight of God. And that anything we might think is good or admirable about them is devils mixing in some good things to sell us more sin and wicked philosophies.

One last thought, and is one that has crossed my mind fairly often is, "imagine going to hell cause I wanted to keep playing videogames." (Not that playing videogames sends us to hell, but as in imagine rejecting God for them.) Really helps to put things in perspective for me.

"Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. - 1 Corinthians 10:21"

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." - Romans 12:1-2
For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth. - Psalm 74:12

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
    • Isaiah 42:12 Blog
  • First Name: Rowan
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 08:20:44 AM »
I love everything that has been written in this thread, and would like to talk a little about my own experiences with video gaming.

In many ways, I have been a gamer all my life. As a child, I played with board games a fair bit. But I also discovered video games quite early on after getting my first computer at the age of 11 or 12, during my two-year stint living in the United States. It was an Atari, and games I remember playing on that include Pac-Man, Frogger, Popeye and Atari Baseball, along with one or two others. A few years later when the Atari wore out, I got an Amstrad and remember playing an assortment of games on that, including Digger and several card games. The next computer introduced a novel new operating system called Windows (95 to be exact), and around this time games started getting quite sophisticated. Two games that I particularly idled away a lot of time on were EA Sports Cricket 96 and EA Sports Triple Play 2001. And I do mean IDLED.

Around the mid-2000s, I became enamoured with an assortment of online sports management games. In fact, I developed quite the addiction to those, playing a variety of management games involving cricket, baseball, soccer, American football, basketball and ice hockey. These games are quite cerebral. You log in, review your results, play around with your team lineup, scout your next opponent, choose your tactics and then wait for the server to simulate games (which would usually take 10-15 minutes). So there's a lot of thinking and not much action, but that worked for me. These management games also had forums that I used to participate in fairly regularly. It was extremely time-consuming though, especially playing so many games at once. And the forums involved much idle talk. Eventually, one by one, I gave them all up. I think I quit the last such game in about 2012 or 2013. After I found Facebook, I wasted yet more time playing several different Facebook games, but have given all those up too. I remember one Facebook game I played for a while was Mafia Wars. Not very edifying.

But the worst was yet to come. In 2015, EA, whose cricket and baseball games I had so loved a couple of decades earlier, introduced their famous Madden franchise of American football games to the mobile market. And so I started playing Madden Mobile. However, I didn't get serious about Madden Mobile until about a year later. Also, between 2014 and 2016, I played the mobile versions of FIFA 14, FIFA 15 and FIFA 16, before EA changed their mobile format and introduced FIFA Mobile, now modelled along very similar lines to Madden Mobile. So I started playing that. Between them, those two games took up an enormous amount of my time. The thing about them is that they are designed to be played a lot. After all, the more you play, the more money EA makes. This is why many other mobile games are designed along similar lines. It's all about the money to these gaming companies. That's the bottom line. And I became heavily addicted. I spent hours every day working through daily tasks, special promos (which weren't on all the time, but still, pretty often) and matches against other leagues. Some of that time was spent organising those matches, talking tactics with other league members or just shooting the breeze. Idle talk, in other words. There's that word IDLE again. By late 2019, I had reached a point where I was doing virtually nothing else, I was so utterly consumed by those two games.

I don't blame EA for my addiction though, despite the fact that they are very cunning in the way they design their games. They are set up in such a way that you get FOMO (fear of missing out) if you don't play every day. If you don't do those daily tasks and participate in those special promos, you'll fall behind everyone else. Or at least, you feel like you will. I'm sure many of the fantasy games that others have mentioned in this thread are designed along very similar lines. Ultimately though, I blame myself. Nobody held a gun to my head and forced me to play those games. I made the choice, day in and day out, to play them. Moreover, what is behind FOMO? Pride. The desire to keep up with everyone else is completely rooted in pride. Then of course, such games are also designed to appeal to covetousness, and that was another big factor: the desire to get that great new player to improve my team. A player that would be useless within two or three weeks. And a team that would be wiped at the annual season reset. I wasn't prideful enough to think that I would be the best player in the world (the elite players all spent ridiculous sums of money to stay ahead of the pack, and I wasn't quite that crazy), but I did want to be the best I could be. Still a lot of pride going on with that though.

It was really more worldly sorrow than godly sorrow that made me quit those games in the end. (I quit them last year, and only really had a big repentance towards God in January this year.) My mindset when I finally decided to quit FIFA Mobile was, "The amount of time I am spending on these games has got beyond a joke. I'm not even enjoying FIFA anymore. Time to make some changes with the new decade". So as you can see, it was a self-centred worldly sorrow. Had my sorrow been of a more godly sort, I would have been thinking more about what sin it was against God to be wasting my time on these games, and how wickedly I was acting.

Also during the past decade, I have played around with assorted vehicle simulation games, and developed a particular liking for flight simulators. These types of games are not quite as bad, because they are easy to pick up and put down. They are not designed to force you to play them every day. So it's a lot easier to practise moderation with them. However, there are still dangers with even these, because there is frequently a lot of add-on stuff (such as new aircraft or scenery) that you can buy, and I spent way too much money on some of that a few years ago. However, simulation games can still be played quite well without any of that. Another irritating thing about them (although this is true of all electronic games) is that they need constant updating. You can end up spending as much time updating as actually playing! Having said all that, the flight simulation games that I've played with have had one or two benefits, whereas the others have had virtually none. For one thing, because they are based on the real world (at least, the ones I play), you can learn a lot of geography. You can also learn a lot about flying itself. So there is a real educational aspect to them. The time that I spent in flight simulators led me to do a trial flight in a real-life aircraft in November 2019. I have read of pilots who started out playing with home flight simulators. Also, it is possible to multi-task. You can do other things like you might do on a real flight (read, listen to music, listen to a sermon and suchlike) while in a long cruising phase on auto-pilot. So some productivity is still possible, which is not usually the case with most games. However, just at the moment, I am not doing much virtual flying.

Because I am trying to get back into driving at the moment, I have been playing a little bit with my two favourite driving games, American Truck Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator 2. Of all the games that I have played over the years, these are about the most benign. As with the flight simulators, you lose nothing if you don't play them for a while. There are no competitions against other players. (Well, there can be "community challenges" with some rewards, but they're more about completing a set number of jobs in a specific region, and you really don't miss out on anything much if you don't participate, other than some meaningless trinket for your truck.) No leaderboards. Definitely no witchcraft or anything like that. You just drive around highways and byways hauling freight. That's all there is to it. Well, you can hire virtual staff and manage them, but that doesn't take up too much time. There's very little pride involved, apart from the satisfaction of finishing a "job" (although that's not necessarily pride). I have no desire to become a truck driver, although some people have taken up a career in that after playing these games. And there is a genuine educational element once again, especially in terms of geography or discovering notable landmarks. I usually have a drive in one or other of these games late at night to unwind. But I'm not doing it quite so much just at the moment. Very occasionally, I dabble in a quiz game or puzzle game, but while these are good for the brain in a way, even they can become addictive if you're not careful. And there is definitely a pride element with those sometimes. Knowledge puffeth up, after all.

So while fantasy games are unquestionably very dangerous things, they are not the only type of game that can do great spiritual harm. As you can see, my main vice in gaming has been sports games rather than fantasy games, yet I have been just as captivated by them and wasted appalling amounts of time on them. They may have a lot less overt witchcraft than fantasy games (although Madden Mobile and FIFA Mobile both have Halloween promos), but they are still very dangerous in terms of the way they are designed to make you play them on a daily basis, and the way they appeal to various sins such as pride and covetousness, not to mention slothfulness. Then too, most of these games have leagues, and chatrooms, and forums etc. that are full of idle talk and vain jangling. There is absolutely no spiritual profit to be had by hanging out in such environments.

The overwhelming majority of video games are quite frankly a device of Satan. In fact, this applies to other types of games like board games too. They are a distraction from things we should be concentrating on such as Bible study, prayer, evangelism, fellowship, and not to mention normal everyday activities like going for a walk or doing household chores. They can rob you of so much if you let them. In nearly every case, they are vanity and vexation of spirit. And as Joshua JZB pointed out, they become idols in the heart. For me, they have been idols of idleness since childhood. About the only valid reason for playing a video game that I can see is for educational purposes. That is why I still play those simulation games a little bit, although I am getting weary of the time it takes to keep them updated. But maybe I'm being like some of the kings of Israel and Judah who destroyed a great many idols but still left a few in high places. Certainly though, I don't want to touch sports games anymore, because there is absolutely no redeeming value in those, any more than there is in fantasy games. And even where some games may have a little benefit, a lot of caution should still be exercised with them.

I'll finish with this: what we do with games is PLAY them. The word play in the Bible often refers to playing instruments, but it can also be associated with fornication (playing the harlot). And there is a specific association with idolatry, mentioned in Exodus 32:6 and referenced in 1 Corinthians 10:7. I'll quote the latter: Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. I don't think they were playing games so much, although that might have been part of their revelry. But certainly, their playing was spiritually destructive and tied to idolatry, just like most (or even all, but definitely most) video gaming is today.
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17)

dmac

• CLE Church Members
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dylan
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 11:55:58 PM »
Im not sure if its wrong but romans 14 20 says
For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin

I think verse 23 shows that if God is convicting you of something then going against your conscience is sin. I know this is easier said then done but examine whether or not the game goes against your conscience. I play alot of online shooters like pubg games like that are my favorite hobby and i dont feel as though the game itself is bad but I waste alot more time on that game than I should and I get very angry at it which certainly goes against my conscience so something needs to change for me also. 

mpeay7

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: -12
    • View Profile
  • First Name: McKenna
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 03:17:33 AM »
I have some material to share on this topic. Although that may be for another time.
I got rid of my game console. The final straw that convicted me to get rid of it all was when I looked very closely at the weaponry in the game and saw that they were all stamped with a pentagon. I knew I had no place to hide, repented, and got rid of the thing as quickly as I could. The benefits are amazing.

I issue a strong warning against mythological fiction and entertainment. It is all in direct support of witchcraft, the occult, and satanic rituals. Even Disney movies are not exempt.

I'll reply if requested
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Matthew 7:14

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
    • Isaiah 42:12 Blog
  • First Name: Rowan
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 09:06:52 AM »
I issue a strong warning against mythological fiction and entertainment. It is all in direct support of witchcraft, the occult, and satanic rituals. Even Disney movies are not exempt.

I would agree with you on that. Certainly, a lot of video games are based around mythological fiction and promoting all kinds of very demonic stuff. About Disney movies, they are in some ways more dangerous than an obviously evil thing like say, Dungeons and Dragons, because they're subtle (although they're less subtle than they used to be). They disguise a lot of their wickedness by dressing it up as something "cute" or "funny". For example, the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella is a witch, but she's also this sweet little old lady who sings cute songs with silly words. Thus is an evil thing made to look sweet and innocent. Mary Poppins is another witch when you consider all the things she does. But she's so pretty and sings lovely songs, and so you get all warm and fuzzy feelings and don't consider how much evil is really going on. Incidentally, there is a song in the Mary Poppins movie that includes a lyric which sums up the Disney method. The lyric is: "A little spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down in the most delightful way". Disney makes their wicked "medicine" palatable by coating it in "sugar" (sometimes a lot more than a spoonful!). The "sugar" includes all those sweet songs we remember, and the cute cartoon characters, and the comedy (or sometimes the drama). How delightful all of that is to our flesh! They form a very effective "dressing" for the poisonous "medicine" that Disney is actually serving up. Other animation companies like Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera do this stuff too, but Disney is particularly effective at it.

Video games too can sometimes have a certain amount of "sugar" that helps to "sweeten" the wickedness in them. Some are even quite literally sugary, such as Candy Crush! I'm not sure if there is any witchcraft being promoted in Candy Crush (I've never played it), but I know enough about it to know it can be as addictive as any other game, and I think it is designed to be that way too (the more you play, the more money the manufacturers make - that's why they want to keep you hooked as much as possible).

To DMac, what you say about "getting very angry" is a problem I used to have with Madden Mobile and FIFA Mobile. It's one reason why I quit them in the end. Some things in these games are designed to be really difficult, but there's a trick with that. The manufacturers want you to spend money to make your "path" easier. Spend $100 to instantly unlock the prize you otherwise have to play ten really hard and frustrating games for! I imagine in shooter games, the catch would be to spend money to upgrade your weaponry. Getting killed all the time in battles? Blow your opponents away with this super-advanced machine gun! All yours for only fifty bucks! Or get $5 off the price by doing this special challenge. I can easily see something like that in shooter games. (Correct me if I'm wrong though.) So you end up getting sucked into spending insane amounts of money or insane amounts of time to get the next prize or advance to the next level. And even if your favourite game is not directly promoting witchcraft or the occult, if it is still producing evil fruit (like angry outbursts), then it is definitely something to remove from your life. If there is no definite bad fruit, and some benefit is being gained, then it might be OK, but still treat with caution, because even the most benign game (like say, a Bible trivia quiz game) has the potential to become addictive if you let it.
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17)

dmac

• CLE Church Members
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dylan
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 04:24:42 PM »
Yeah Rowan i wouldnt say the buying things is a problem but i definitely get way to into it and i look at the clock 12 hours have passed that kinda thing. I mean thats an extreme example but there have been days like that. To be honest i dont wanna give it up but i have to limit myself.

Ramie

• Newly Registered (Forum LVL 0)
  • Edification: 1
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Ramie
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 01:01:12 AM »
I have some material to share on this topic. Although that may be for another time.
I got rid of my game console. The final straw that convicted me to get rid of it all was when I looked very closely at the weaponry in the game and saw that they were all stamped with a pentagon. I knew I had no place to hide, repented, and got rid of the thing as quickly as I could. The benefits are amazing.

I'll reply if requested

This is very interesting. Is thr pentagon by any chance an Occult symbol? And is liking mythology and fantasyba cause of damnation and losing salvation?

Ramie

• Newly Registered (Forum LVL 0)
  • Edification: 1
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Ramie
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 01:04:09 AM »

I would agree with you on that. Certainly, a lot of video games are based around mythological fiction and promoting all kinds of very demonic stuff. About Disney movies, they are in some ways more dangerous than an obviously evil thing like say, Dungeons and Dragons, because they're subtle (although they're less subtle than they used to be). They disguise a lot of their wickedness by dressing it up as something "cute" or "funny". For example, the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella is a witch, but she's also this sweet little old lady who sings cute songs with silly words. Thus is an evil thing made to look sweet and innocent. Mary Poppins is another witch when you consider all the things she does. But she's so pretty and sings lovely songs, and so you get all warm and fuzzy feelings and don't consider how much evil is really going on. Incidentally, there is a song in the Mary Poppins movie that includes a lyric which sums up the Disney method. The lyric is: "A little spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down in the most delightful way". Disney makes their wicked "medicine" palatable by coating it in "sugar" (sometimes a lot more than a spoonful!). The "sugar" includes all those sweet songs we remember, and the cute cartoon characters, and the comedy (or sometimes the drama). How delightful all of that is to our flesh! They form a very effective "dressing" for the poisonous "medicine" that Disney is actually serving up. Other animation companies like Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera do this stuff too, but Disney is particularly effective at it.

Video games too can sometimes have a certain amount of "sugar" that helps to "sweeten" the wickedness in them. Some are even quite literally sugary, such as Candy Crush! I'm not sure if there is any witchcraft being promoted in Candy Crush (I've never played it), but I know enough about it to know it can be as addictive as any other game, and I think it is designed to be that way too (the more you play, the more money the manufacturers make - that's why they want to keep you hooked as much as possible).

To DMac, what you say about "getting very angry" is a problem I used to have with Madden Mobile and FIFA Mobile. It's one reason why I quit them in the end. Some things in these games are designed to be really difficult, but there's a trick with that. The manufacturers want you to spend money to make your "path" easier. Spend $100 to instantly unlock the prize you otherwise have to play ten really hard and frustrating games for! I imagine in shooter games, the catch would be to spend money to upgrade your weaponry. Getting killed all the time in battles? Blow your opponents away with this super-advanced machine gun! All yours for only fifty bucks! Or get $5 off the price by doing this special challenge. I can easily see something like that in shooter games. (Correct me if I'm wrong though.) So you end up getting sucked into spending insane amounts of money or insane amounts of time to get the next prize or advance to the next level. And even if your favourite game is not directly promoting witchcraft or the occult, if it is still producing evil fruit (like angry outbursts), then it is definitely something to remove from your life. If there is no definite bad fruit, and some benefit is being gained, then it might be OK, but still treat with caution, because even the most benign game (like say, a Bible trivia quiz game) has the potential to become addictive if you let it.
Galatians 5:19-21
King James Version
 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 10:36:54 AM »
And is liking mythology and fantasyba cause of damnation and losing salvation?

This topic is not what this thread is about, and typically it is good to stick to the topic so that people don't get confused about what you are talking about. If you have specific questions, it might be a good idea to start another thread. However, I wanted to address this topic because it's important.

There is nothing you can do that can make you lose your salvation. Once you are saved, you cannot be unsaved; once you are born again, you cannot be un-born again (that in itself wouldn't make any sense.) There are many scriptures that prove this. Jeanne explained this on your introduction post, but maybe you didn't read the article she linked. I'll try to explain with some scripture.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one.
-John 10:27-30

In the present tense, Jesus Christ says that he gives his sheep eternal life, that they will never perish, and that none can pluck them from the Father's hand. This means that once given eternal life, it can never be taken away or revoked.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. - John 5:24

Again, Jesus says in the present tense that anyone who has heard and believed in the one (the Father) who sent Jesus Christ, then they have eternal life now, and that they are not going to be condemned to hell. They have already passed from death unto life. Our bodies will die, but spiritually we have already been given eternal life.

When Jesus speaks of he that "heareth," he is speaking of someone who has heard the word and understood it by the Holy Spirit. This person will have come to repentance of their wrongdoing and believed in Christ for salvation.

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. - John 6:37-40

Here, Jesus says that he will not cast out any of those who have come to him in repentance and faith. Jesus Christ will not cast someone who has a humble heart and broken spirit who knows nothing else but to trust in Him alone for salvation. Jesus Christ is kind and merciful, and He knows that we are not sinless while on earth. He bled and died for us so that our sin will be washed clean, out of His great love for us. God loves and is near to those who have come to repentance, and He is faithful to keep us forevermore. We should trust His word on that (and on everything else).

The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. -Psalm 34:18

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. - Psalm 51:17

There are more scriptures for this, but hopefully this was helpful.