Author Topic: Kevin (Anvilhauler's) Testimony  (Read 4104 times)

Anna G

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 10
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Anna
  • Belief: Other
Re: Kevin (Anvilhauler's) Testimony
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2022, 03:28:21 AM »
(My apologies, I posted a reply to the above message but realised that I did the quote formatting incorrectly. I will repost my reply shortly.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 04:01:04 AM by Anna G »

Anna G

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2022, 05:23:29 AM »
I'm also a little bit puzzled by your eventual conversion experience. You say that you got "the major" of the Gospel message (meaning all the key doctrines) and essentially became a believer "just like that". The way you have phrased it ("That's it, I was a believer"), it sounds like you just gave some sort of intellectual consent to the message being preached. Surely there was some humbling of yourself before God in that moment? Surely there was some confessing of sin, crying out for mercy, something occurring from the heart and not just the mind? For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:10) Could you please describe that conversion moment in a bit more detail?

As Rowan alluded to above, I’d really like to hear about your relational encounter with Jesus Himself – when you took your heart of faith and repentance directly to the Lord – because this is the one thing that you didn’t mention in your story. More than anything, this was the part of your story that I was looking forward to hearing about the most :).

I’m curious about when and how this happened for you? Was this shortly after you’d heard the proper gospel message? I understand it happens at different times and in different ways for people. Anyway, that’s always the most important and interesting part of a person’s salvation story, so it would be good to hear that, if you’d like to share it.

My initial repentance was when God first made me grieved over wrongful doing.  That is actually the situation the Jews would have been in too when Jesus was telling them to repent but they didn't necessarily know who he was and to them they only had the God of the Old Covenant to look upon, but they still had it within them to repent, otherwise they wouldn't have been told to.  Later, yes I was grieved just as I should have been when I learned of the gospel message.  It's very straight forward, it's just one building upon the other.

Thanks for your reply, Kevin.

You may not realise it, but you didn’t actually answer the question that Rowan and I both asked :). Apologies if there is something missing in my own understanding, but I found your answer to be quite vague and it didn’t clarify anything for me.

I’m genuinely not trying to be contentious; I just think that the experience of when you became born again is an important thing to clarify.

In my previous post I mentioned that I chose to “surrender” to Jesus. I think the more Biblical way of wording this is that I came to “call upon” the Lord. I called out for Him. I cried out to Him. I wanted Him. I was yearning and longing for Him from the depth of my being. I didn’t want to live my life any longer without Him.

“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved” (Romans 10:13).

So, if I may re-word my question using more Biblical language, I wonder if you’d like to share when you called upon the name of the Lord Jesus Himself?

Again, I’d like to stress that I don’t want to cause any contention. I just think it would be beneficial for everyone if you clarified this part of your story :).

Anna G

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2022, 05:44:05 PM »
In my previous post I mentioned that I chose to “surrender” to Jesus. I think the more Biblical way of wording this is that I came to “call upon” the Lord. I called out for Him. I cried out to Him. I wanted Him. I was yearning and longing for Him from the depth of my being. I didn’t want to live my life any longer without Him.

“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved” (Romans 10:13).

So, if I may re-word my question using more Biblical language, I wonder if you’d like to share when you called upon the name of the Lord Jesus Himself?

For doctrinal clarity, I thought it best to add this brief postscript to my above message.

In hindsight, I think it would have been more edifying if my third paragraph had been written more succinctly. I believe this would have been better wording:

“In my previous post I mentioned that I chose to “surrender” to Jesus. I think the more Biblical way of wording this is that I came to “call upon” the Lord with a heart of faith and repentance. I called out for Him. I cried out to Him.”

(The above correction also removes the unnecessary focus on my own personal experience, which, because of how I worded it, could have potentially distracted people from the essential doctrine that needs to be discussed. My apologies for this.)

Additionally, I think it would have been better for me to have added a second question at the end, for clarity. I believe this would have been better wording:

"... I wonder if you’d like to share when you called upon the name of the Lord Jesus Himself? When did you take your heart of faith and repentance directly to the Lord Jesus?"

These may appear to be minor changes, but I think they are needed to avoid unnecessary confusion.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 05:49:26 PM by Anna G »

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2022, 04:16:37 AM »

For doctrinal clarity, I thought it best to add this brief postscript to my above message.

In hindsight, I think it would have been more edifying if my third paragraph had been written more succinctly. I believe this would have been better wording:

“In my previous post I mentioned that I chose to “surrender” to Jesus. I think the more Biblical way of wording this is that I came to “call upon” the Lord with a heart of faith and repentance. I called out for Him. I cried out to Him.”

(The above correction also removes the unnecessary focus on my own personal experience, which, because of how I worded it, could have potentially distracted people from the essential doctrine that needs to be discussed. My apologies for this.)

Additionally, I think it would have been better for me to have added a second question at the end, for clarity. I believe this would have been better wording:

"... I wonder if you’d like to share when you called upon the name of the Lord Jesus Himself? When did you take your heart of faith and repentance directly to the Lord Jesus?"

These may appear to be minor changes, but I think they are needed to avoid unnecessary confusion.

I'm putting a stop to this right here.

If the elders have a problem with my testimony then they can make postings.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
    • Isaiah 42:12 Blog
  • First Name: Rowan
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2022, 05:21:32 AM »
I'm putting a stop to this right here.

Would this be accepted from someone who was completely new here? Some quite fair questions have been posed, and instead of straightforward answers, there has been vagueness and now what amounts to curt dismissiveness. Why the avoidance tactics? In a new person, this would be considered a big red flag. But surely it is still a red flag when someone has been around for a while?

Also, when it comes to someone's testimony, doesn't everyone have the Biblical right to judge the matter? Is this not a situation where everyone's opinion has equal value, irrespective of how long they've been around? If the elders want to make some sort of ruling on the matter, well fair enough, but we should otherwise beware of the sin of respecting persons.

Let me be clear that I am not trying to stir up trouble here. I have no beef with Kevin. No grudge, no quarrel whatsoever. To the contrary, I am feeling very concerned about the state of his soul right now. For the sake of both Kevin's soul AND the church, does it not behoove us to scrutinise his testimony a bit more closely? There are aspects of his testimony that I frankly find quite concerning, and it is evident from Anna's questions that this is the case for her also. If it transpires that Kevin is not saved after all, then we would in fact be doing him a great service by showing him that, so he can be born again properly (assuming he wants to be). Also, it is not good for the church to have unsaved people in its membership (if in fact this is the case - I'm not definitely saying it is).

From an eternal and spiritual perspective, there is a lot at stake here - not least for Kevin. If he is saved after all, and this is just a storm in a teacup, well OK. Actually, I would prefer that. But right now, in all good conscience, I cannot just let this rest. Not when someone's soul is potentially on the line (which again, I hope I'm wrong about).
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2022, 09:06:35 AM »

Kevin,
Why not charitably answer Rowen's and Anna's questions?
Discussing spiritual topics amongst believers is typically edifying and should be beneficial to everyone.

BTW, I don't remember you answering my question about what "Anvilhauler" means. Maybe I missed it.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2022, 09:12:03 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm getting lost in the shuffle here. I didn't have the problem that Anna and Rowan are having, so I wonder if they could be SUMMARIZE what their contention is? (i.e. put it in as few words as possible, so I can understand it)

Also, has anyone else had issue with Kevin's testimony that they would like to raise? If anyone else is seeing what Rowan and Anna are seeing, please speak up and help explain it.

I am not seeing what you guys are seeing. Maybe it's because I've known Kevin longer; that might be the issue. I don't know. I briefly reviewed things he had written this morning, and my conclusion is that either I'm blind to a problem, or others have misunderstood something. I can't tell yet.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2022, 09:44:23 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm getting lost in the shuffle here. I didn't have the problem that Anna and Rowan are having, so I wonder if they could be SUMMARIZE what their contention is? (i.e. put it in as few words as possible, so I can understand it)

I'll give it my best shot:

Firstly, concerning Kevin's experience in the workshop, he didn't make it clear in his testimony whether there was specific repentance towards God when he became aware of his sinfulness. Certainly, some of his attitude after that workshop experience did not seem consistent with repentance. For example, at one stage his thinking was "Hmm, this God thing is getting interesting". Is that really the way someone would think if they had already repented towards God? Is that the way someone would be thinking if their heart had been humbled the way it should be when godly sorrow occurs? He was aware that he was a sinner, well and good. He felt some grief and sorrow, OK. But as I pointed out using the example of Judas, it is possible to feel grief and sorrow over sin without being specifically sorry towards God.

Secondly, regarding his conversion: he really didn't answer Anna's questions about it at all. Nor mine. He completely skirted around them. To me, it looks from his testimony as though he gave little more than intellectual assent when he became a believer. He heard some preaching, and "just like that", he was a believer. As Anna asked, where was the calling on the Lord in that moment? There has been no evidence of that in either his testimony or his subsequent posts. He talks about understanding that Jesus died for his sins, and that's great, but that still doesn't show him calling upon the Lord, crying out for mercy and so on. Surely that is quite a key part of the born-again experience.

Finally, it really must be asked, why is Kevin unable or unwilling to, as Kenneth put it, answer our questions charitably? To act so dismissively towards Anna's latest question makes it look like he is trying to hide something, or maybe attempting to avoid facing up to something.

Sorry if this is still a bit wordy, but it's about as concise a summary as I can manage.

Anna G

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2022, 06:23:31 PM »

Also, has anyone else had issue with Kevin's testimony that they would like to raise? If anyone else is seeing what Rowan and Anna are seeing, please speak up and help explain it.

I am not seeing what you guys are seeing. Maybe it's because I've known Kevin longer; that might be the issue. I don't know. I briefly reviewed things he had written this morning, and my conclusion is that either I'm blind to a problem, or others have misunderstood something. I can't tell yet.

Hi Christopher

In simplicity, I just think Kevin needs to identify/clarify when he was born again.

I do appreciate that I don’t have a long relational history with Kevin, so there may be salient information about his life and faith that I’m not aware of.

However, as someone with the ‘fresh eyes’ of not knowing him, based solely on the information that he has provided in his story, I don’t see any evidence that he is born again.

I see the workshop experience as an important step in the process of him finding God. However, in and of itself, being convicted of sin against God, or having a repentant heart, doesn’t make someone born again.

And years later, when he heard the proper gospel message, it sounds very much like he just gave intellectual consent to the message, which doesn’t make someone born again either.

Both Rowan and I have asked Kevin for the details of when he actually became born again (in three separate posts) and this question has never been answered.

Kevin may well be born again—and I hope that he is. It’s just that he didn’t actually mention when this happened in his story, and he hasn’t clarified it since.

I think this is an essential part of his story for him to clarify, not only for himself, but also for the many people who engage with this forum. As it stands, I believe his current testimony—without additional information provided—could cause confusion to unsaved people about what it means to be born again.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 06:50:48 PM by Anna G »

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2022, 08:19:21 PM »

Hi Christopher

In simplicity, I just think Kevin needs to identify/clarify when he was born again.

I do appreciate that I don’t have a long relational history with Kevin, so there may be salient information about his life and faith that I’m not aware of.

However, as someone with the ‘fresh eyes’ of not knowing him, based solely on the information that he has provided in his story, I don’t see any evidence that he is born again.

I see the workshop experience as an important step in the process of him finding God. However, in and of itself, being convicted of sin against God, or having a repentant heart, doesn’t make someone born again.

And years later, when he heard the proper gospel message, it sounds very much like he just gave intellectual consent to the message, which doesn’t make someone born again either.

Both Rowan and I have asked Kevin for the details of when he actually became born again (in three separate posts) and this question has never been answered.

Kevin may well be born again—and I hope that he is. It’s just that he didn’t actually mention when this happened in his story, and he hasn’t clarified it since.

I think this is an essential part of his story for him to clarify, not only for himself, but also for the many people who engage with this forum. As it stands, I believe his current testimony—without additional information provided—could cause confusion to unsaved people about what it means to be born again.

I can see more clearly now the depth that might not have become apparent.  Once I had heard the gospel message there were many times I had sat and spent time with God pouring out my heart about how sorry I was for all of the wrong I had done in my life and thanking him for Jesus Christ  dying on the cross to pay the penalty for my wrong doing.  I truly was of a contrite spirit.  There was a time frame between my being saved as mentioned and "going to church" because I didn't feel like I could turn up to something like that because I didn't know anything.  It took a while for me to make that step because I feared being asked why I was there if I didn't know anything.  I was from a completely "un-churched" background and I didn't even have any idea what people did in "churches" on Sunday mornings   ......   absolutely no idea at all.  My conversion certainly wasn't just an intellectual experience but rather a deep intimate experience with God / Jesus Christ.

A part of what made this whole conversation more difficult is as I wrote some time back about a guy I used to work with who was a narcissist (One of two major narcissists).  In any interaction I would have with him he would think it was acceptable to just bombard me with questions.  If I would answer a question then he would just immediately come back with more.  Because I'm a fairly easy going sort of a person and friendly and get along with people, he obviously thought he was going to take advantage of that for his twisted little ways.  This is the guy who I mentioned that he obviously had no idea and couldn't pick up either body language or facial expressions or self awareness or social awareness that he was just being irritating and that he was going to get himself written off.  When in the end I did write him off he immediately had a complete mental breakdown and ended up in the mental hospital for about a year.

Hence, I do find it uncomfortable when there are a whole lot of questions asked which I thought the answers might have easily been picked up on.  My feeling ill from being in pain certainly didn't help things.  I'm also from a background where as a soldier and as an engineer, when training, those teaching you can only meet you part way and the rest is up to the individual to keep their eyes open and watch and think and learn.  In both of those jobs I had seen people get a bollocking for asking questions about things they should have known the answers to or if they were switched on they should have been able to work out the answers or gone and found out things for themselves.  I'm not saying this as a bad thing for others in the forum, but this is the first forum I have ever been a part of and it's the first time I have ever put down my testimony in writing. 
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Timothy

• Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 157
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Timothy
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2022, 11:03:03 PM »
We were discussing this thread this morning before the teaching and a little after. I personally thought you answered the questions just fine, and now even more so with this latest response. One of the things I mentioned is that we can sometimes get too caught up with finding out the specific moment that someone got saved when, in the end, it doesn't matter so much about "when." What's important is the repentance and faith we see now. Repentance and faith don't have to happen exactly at the same time because both of these things continue on after the first instances. We shouldn't stop repenting after we've done it once just as we shouldn't reject faith after we first believed. As you explained when you responded to Rowan how that you prayed to God in the evenings asking for His guidance, I could see the humility that likely began when you first felt ashamed for lying that day in the workshop. Even though you didn't fully understand the gospel at that point, you later understood it as I'm sure you do now.

Another thing I mentioned was about this. Calling upon the name of the Lord is a natural thing people do at, and after, salvation. But it's not the prayer that saves. It's the faith. So it's not required for someone to do right as they become born again. Not only this, but calling upon the name of the Lord is something we continue doing as Christians. We don't just stop after the first time, so when Paul taught about this in his epistle to the Romans he wasn't saying this happens specifically as someone is converted. This is a general thing that is done by Christians. We aught to be calling on the Lord in prayer for His mercy and forgiveness even now and it's the one's who have that repentance and faith to do this that shall be saved as Paul taught. So the first time someone begins calling upon the Lord is not necessarily the point someone is born again.

Hopefully Kevin's last response will help put everyone at ease about this discussion. It's not wrong to question things, but I do hope it's clarified by now.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2022, 03:06:57 AM »

re:  BTW, I don't remember you answering my question about what "Anvilhauler" means. Maybe I missed it.

After the other stuff I thought that maybe I should just give this a miss.  I'm glad the other stuff got cleared up and as time allows I will write this up. 

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2022, 10:57:13 AM »
And by the way, after dealing with the last guy (Don) who just posted his introduction, and was so contentious that we had to ban him, Kevin's testimony should be a breath of fresh air. ???
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2022, 10:03:08 AM »
I can see more clearly now the depth that might not have become apparent.  Once I had heard the gospel message there were many times I had sat and spent time with God pouring out my heart about how sorry I was for all of the wrong I had done in my life and thanking him for Jesus Christ  dying on the cross to pay the penalty for my wrong doing.  I truly was of a contrite spirit. [...] My conversion certainly wasn't just an intellectual experience but rather a deep intimate experience with God / Jesus Christ.

This makes me a lot more confident that you are in fact saved, Kevin, so thank you for writing this. If it had been included in your original testimony or in one of your earlier responses though, it would have helped a great deal. When it comes to your salvation experience, you really need to be quite specific and not just expect people to "fill in the gaps". It's not something you should gloss over, which it looked like you were doing when you said, "Just like that, I was a believer". But you have now filled in a very important gap in your testimony, so thanks again.

A part of what made this whole conversation more difficult is as I wrote some time back about a guy I used to work with who was a narcissist (One of two major narcissists).  In any interaction I would have with him he would think it was acceptable to just bombard me with questions.  If I would answer a question then he would just immediately come back with more.  Because I'm a fairly easy going sort of a person and friendly and get along with people, he obviously thought he was going to take advantage of that for his twisted little ways. [...] Hence, I do find it uncomfortable when there are a whole lot of questions asked which I thought the answers might have easily been picked up on.  My feeling ill from being in pain certainly didn't help things.  I'm also from a background where as a soldier and as an engineer, when training, those teaching you can only meet you part way and the rest is up to the individual to keep their eyes open and watch and think and learn.  In both of those jobs I had seen people get a bollocking for asking questions about things they should have known the answers to or if they were switched on they should have been able to work out the answers or gone and found out things for themselves.

Strangely enough, something that I have experienced from narcissists in my own life is that they expect you to read minds. For example, they might make a request of you that is intentionally ambiguous. If you ask them for clarification, they just snap at you to figure it out. And of course, whatever choice you make in that situation will be the wrong one. That's because no matter what choice you made, it was always going to be wrong. They love setting you up to fail. With a narcissist, the game is always rigged. So when I see vague and evasive answers being given to questions, or an outright refusal to answer them, it sets alarm bells ringing for me. I like everything laid out plainly without the need for guessing games, and I think part of the reason for this is because of these mind games that narcissists have played with me in the past. However, this isn't just the domain of narcissists (and I wasn't suspecting you of being one, just saying that this is a behaviour I have frequently encountered in them). There have been a good number of false converts who have come on here and done the same thing (i.e. dodged direct questions). So again, it just looked a bit suss. And that was what made me feel really concerned for you.

I don't normally have the same issue that you do with being asked questions myself, though I will acknowledge that there are some situations where people should be able to figure things out for themselves. I will also admit that it can get a little irritating when people don't do this. However, part of Christian charity is to be patient with such people and give them the help they need. Sometimes they may not be well trained in working things out, or they may have some type of learning disability. Even if they're simply not very bright, we still need to show them charity. (Actually, we probably need to have more compassion for them in that case.) In this particular instance though, I think greater clarity was genuinely needed (and again, thanks for providing that now).

But while I don't mind being asked questions, I will say that narcissists tend to ask different types of questions to normal people. For me, it is important to discern the type of question and motive. I will willingly answer honest and open questions. However, narcissists are fond of loaded questions. This is like what the opponents of Jesus did:

And as he said these things unto them, the scribes and the Pharisees began to urge him vehemently, and to provoke him to speak of many things: Laying wait for him, and seeking to catch something out of his mouth, that they might accuse him. (Luke 11:53-54)

This is exactly what a narcissist will do when asking you a question. They are trying to ambush you, to catch you in your words so that they have something to accuse you of. (Once they have that, then they can openly attack you.) Then if you react evasively or defensively (which is a more natural reaction to these types of questions), they gaslight you by saying, "I'm just asking a question", or "I'm just trying to have a conversation" - in other words, playing innocent when they know as well as you do what their game is. I also once knew a narcissist (the married woman who stalked me 22 years ago) who loved to ask highly inappropriate questions, and then play the same "I'm just asking" game. "I'm just curious" was another phrase she was fond of.

But there is a big difference between someone asking you loaded or inappropriate questions like that, and someone doing what Anna and I were, which was just seeking some clarification without any hidden agendas. I most assuredly didn't want to catch you in any words or accuse you, but when you answered as you did, it set off some genuine alarm bells for me. However, after this last post, those bells have now quietened down, and on that note, I am now content to let this matter rest. Although before I close, I would like to say how much I enjoyed the discussion over all this in the Sunday meeting. Everyone was very calm and charitable, and we all just reasoned things out together. That's how it should be done among brethren. Even though you were the subject of it, I think even you might have enjoyed it, Kevin. In any case, it was a most refreshing change from how discussions usually go with narcissists or unbelievers generally!

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2022, 05:50:01 AM »
What's with my online name of Anvilhauler.

In the early 1980's a friend of mine who later went on to marry one of my sisters and become my brother-in-law was an office clerk at the time and I was an engineer.  We used to spend quite a lot of time together and much of our conversation while walking around was often to do with the degradation of New Zealand society.  Anyway, one day we were out walking and talking and solving all of society's problems as we often did and we decided to drop in to the Canterbury Museum which is in Christchurch for a look around on the way past (Canterbury is the province that Christchurch City is in).  One of the first exhibits you come to on the ground floor is a setup of what shops and other general businesses looked like on the streets of Christchurch back in the 1800's.  One was of a blacksmiths shop and a costume period dummy of a farrier with a ususal blacksmithing hammer was depicting the making of a horse shoe on an anvil.  The horse shoe was plastic of course as it had a light bulb in it to give the appearance of the red glow of red hot steel straight from the forge.  Looking at the anvil though, that was the real thing.  I took quite a look at it and I commented to my friend that that was a real anvil and how much of a struggle that must have been to get that there.  Having had to haul anvils around in engineering workshops from time to time I know just how much weight there is in them.  Man, those things are heavy.  My friend commented that the anvil is made of plastic.

Sigh!! He didn't have the experience that I had with things like that and being an office clerk I doubt that he had hardly ever even seen an anvil before and he had certainly never used one.  To the trained eye you know exactly what you're looking for in the differences between a fake anvil and a real one that has actually been used, such as the hammer marks in certain places and the general state of the surface especially around the holes in the top where different fittings can be dropped in for doing certain types of work.  No matter how much I tried to convince him that it was a real anvil and that he should trust me because I'm quite sure I know a real anvil when I see one the more he continued to say "Nah, it's made of plastic".  Ya just can't tell some people, you have to show them.  Understandably, it had a barrier around the exhibit to keep people out to stop them from touching.  The place was very quiet and there were no other people or museum staff around so I told him I would prove it to him.  Quick look around and I stepped over the barrier.  Well, you watch this.  Tap, tap, tap.  Aaarrrgghhh, it was made of plastic, it was hollow.  I can't believe it.  They had made such a good job of the anvil it looked just like the real thing.  And my friend's laughing and telling me that he can tell it's plastic just by looking at it.  Life just isn't fair sometimes.  Meanwhile I'm still trying to convince him of just how real to life that is and all he's saying while laughing at me is "You poor broken anvil hauler".  All I could do was laugh right along with him.

Over time whenever we were having discussions and even after he had married my sister he would always drop in to the discussion that he knows a plastic anvil when he sees one too.  Just hilarious.  The reason I liked the name all these years and kept it was because it taught me a good lesson that I should have known better by that stage anyway.  Just because I think I'm right and it all appears a certain way, that doesn't mean that I am right. 

Just recently when we were having the discussion about diabetes and insulin, it might have seemed like I had decided I was right and there wasn't any more discussion really to be had on the matter, but for me that's not how it is and I still keep a very open mind on discussions like that.  I've been wrong before.  I always think back to the anvil incident.

If I ever have an engineering business, it's going to be called Anvilhauler Engineering or any other business will have Anvilhauler in the name of it.

Sadly I haven't seen that friend for fifteen years now because although my sister claimed to have become a Christian she took a very feminist and totally un-Biblical stance on things and she didn't appreciate me trying to draw her attention to what God had to teach in the Bible.  She is just another one who accepted Christ but it wasn't the result of coming to repentance.  I hope she changes because I used to really like hanging around those two.  Many fun hours spent playing cards and talking.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2022, 08:48:49 AM »
The reason I liked the name all these years and kept it was because it taught me a good lesson that I should have known better by that stage anyway.  Just because I think I'm right and it all appears a certain way, that doesn't mean that I am right. 
A moniker of humility.
I'm not surprised.

Thanks for sharing.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Anna G

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2022, 03:27:41 AM »
Once I had heard the gospel message there were many times I had sat and spent time with God pouring out my heart about how sorry I was for all of the wrong I had done in my life and thanking him for Jesus Christ  dying on the cross to pay the penalty for my wrong doing.  I truly was of a contrite spirit.

... My conversion certainly wasn't just an intellectual experience but rather a deep intimate experience with God / Jesus Christ.

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your reply. What you’ve written here adds more clarity and depth to your testimony—and in essence, answers the questions I was asking—so thank you for that.

I’m sorry if my posts caused you any unnecessary upset. As I have said, I genuinely wasn’t trying to be contentious. However, though I may be wrong, I suspect/guess that if you had written your testimony as a new person—without anyone knowing you—that others may have stepped in and asked you to clarify a few things. I can understand if the people who know you didn't feel the need to ask you more questions; however, there are a good number of people who engage with this forum who don’t know you, and out of charity to them I think it was important to address this.

Anyway, thanks again for providing more (and heartfelt) detail, Kevin :).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 03:54:56 AM by Anna G »

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2022, 08:46:02 PM »
Once I had heard the gospel message there were many times I had sat and spent time with God pouring out my heart about how sorry I was for all of the wrong I had done in my life and thanking him for Jesus Christ  dying on the cross to pay the penalty for my wrong doing.  I truly was of a contrite spirit.

... My conversion certainly wasn't just an intellectual experience but rather a deep intimate experience with God / Jesus Christ.

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your reply. What you’ve written here adds more clarity and depth to your testimony—and in essence, answers the questions I was asking—so thank you for that.

I’m sorry if my posts caused you any unnecessary upset. As I have said, I genuinely wasn’t trying to be contentious. However, though I may be wrong, I suspect/guess that if you had written your testimony as a new person—without anyone knowing you—that others may have stepped in and asked you to clarify a few things. I can understand if the people who know you didn't feel the need to ask you more questions; however, there are a good number of people who engage with this forum who don’t know you, and out of charity to them I think it was important to address this.

Anyway, thanks again for providing more (and heartfelt) detail, Kevin :).

Yes, it was certainly a different job writing my testimony when many people already knew me.  The difficult part was also trying to give the best possible account but with keeping the length to something that people were comfortable reading.  There was quite a lot of editing of what to put in and what not to put in and I had to live with the hope that the reader could gain an overview from what was given.  It's good to know that all worked out OK in the end  ....   and it felt to me like doing a written assignment   ......   and I never liked doing written assignments even though this one was different because it was so different and was also an act of charity to others.  At least there wasn't a certain date by which it had to be handed in.

mrs.creationliberty

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 23
    • View Profile
    • Good Seed Garden
  • First Name: Lorraine
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2022, 09:47:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing Kevin, I had always wondered what your moniker meant, that's a really neat story and lesson.
I also really enjoyed reading your testimony, thanks for taking the time to share it with us  :D

heathertaylor

• Born Again Christians
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Heather
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2022, 09:20:12 AM »
Kevin your testimony was a breath of fresh air for me. I never had to question if God gave you repentance because it was very evident. Sorry it took me so long to read your testimony but I really enjoyed reading it. I kept thinking as I was reading your well put testimony, that it was like reading a good book. I couldn't stop reading. I am so sad how everything went down with your ex wife and having your children taken from you. Are your children still estranged from you?

Im glad you shared this  :)
2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.