Author Topic: New member- greetings!  (Read 1937 times)

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Travis
  • Belief: Christian
Re: New member- greetings!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2023, 07:53:23 AM »
And, I'm sorry for not giving a better reply to you, Caleb. I also focused too much on worldly and political things in recent years. It hasn't been easy, but I've been weaning off from that. My stance at this point in time, is that we ought to be reading the scripture, fellowshipping with one another, and basically living as Biblically as we are able. The sad thing is when we lose control and become distracted. Then this happens:

Mark 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Which, I think, can occur when we focus too much on the worldly and political machinations that are going on all around us.
I am having a personal sort of crisis related to this, which I have posted in another thread.

How do you guys go about the process of sanctification, if you don't mind my asking?

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2023, 08:58:52 AM »
The first thing to do is stop using the phrase "personal crisis." It's nonsensical. It's basically no different than saying "climate crisis." It's panic over something that is non-threatening.

The word you should use is called "discipline." It's the base word from which we get the word 'disciple'.

discipline (v): to instruct or educate; to inform the mind; to prepare by instructing in correct principles and habits

Study of Scripture is not something that any of us do as a passing fad or for ease of entertainment. It is work. You have to make active choices to shut off things around you and work. It's not rocket science, and you don't need a PhD in theology.

The question "How do you guys go about the process of sanctification?" is an attempt to find some recipe of words or activities that will make it easier. The Holy Spirit unlocks a man's understanding, but knowledge of Scripture is still proof of work.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2023, 10:30:36 PM »
How do you guys go about the process of sanctification, if you don't mind my asking?

In my experience it's often a result of what I've learned, therefore I make different choices. Sometimes I've discovered in hindsight that I simply had lost my taste for something (ie, rock music) only to learn later that it was bad for me.

Going about your life as you ought should steadily result in further sanctification. Sometimes change will be quick and easy, other times it will take a lot of time and effort.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Travis
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2023, 07:49:16 PM »
Chris, I humbly accept the admonition- thank you. I hadn't considered how the word 'crisis' is indeed hyperbolic, and used to draw undue consideration. And yes, I must discipline myself more effectively.

Matthew 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof on the day of judgement.

Kenneth, thank you for your comment as well. I can relate to the loss of interest in an activity, and then later to realize that it was actually unhealthy to begin with.