Author Topic: A Contradiction In Acts  (Read 2150 times)

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christian
A Contradiction In Acts
« on: August 08, 2020, 07:53:08 PM »
I sort of notice this contradiction every time I read the Book of Acts.  Hopefully the discussion of what seems to be a contradiction will never cause someone to stumble and often they can be used as a teaching opportunity to more solidly ground believers on stronger foundations.

It is interesting that the account of the events of the Saul / Paul conversion experience differ slightly between the account at the beginning of Acts and much further through.

Acts 9 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven: 4 and he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? 5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do. 7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man. 8 And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus. 9 And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.

Acts 22 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
6 And it came to pass, that, as I made my journey, and was come nigh unto Damascus about noon, suddenly there shone from heaven a great light round about me. 7 And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? 8 And I answered, Who art thou, Lord? And he said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest. 9 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me. 10 And I said, What shall I do, Lord? And the Lord said unto me, Arise, and go into Damascus; and there it shall be told thee of all things which are appointed for thee to do.

Apologies if this has ever been covered in the past and I've simply forgotten about it.  Even if that is the case covering it again might be useful for someone who hasn't seen it before and the discussion may be useful if a non-believer has ever heard of it and tries to use it as an argument point when someone is preaching the gospel message.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: A Contradiction In Acts
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 12:07:57 AM »
It does not say that they heard NO voice, but rather, it says that they heard not the voice of him that spake to Paul. It does not mean that other voices were not heard, perhaps even those of the angels; we do not know. They saw light, but no man. They heard voices, but not the voice that spoke to Paul.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 12:41:22 AM »
That's a good explanation of the most likely events.  Thanks for that.  With Acts being written by Luke and the accounts of many things given as they journeyed around, it would be certain that they would have discussed the events of what happened numerous times they were together.  Luke wasn't with Paul at that time of course.  But there had to be some means by which the account had to be correct from the perspectives of Paul and the others with him.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

hashed

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Yeb
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 08:36:57 AM »
This was my first thought

hearing a voice [of Saul], but seeing no man [to who Saul was speaking]

It does not say they heard voices, but only that they heard a single voice.

Vince

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 06:33:31 PM »
I know this post is over 30 days old, but it caught my attention. Supposed contradictions are always good to take a look at.

There is a 3rd account of this event, when Paul was presenting before King Agrippa

13 At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me. 14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. 16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; 17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. 19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: Acts 26:13-19

It could have been that some or all of the those who journeyed with Paul did not understand the Hebrew tongue. Perhaps not trained in the language as Paul was, and even though they heard the voice they did not understand what the voice was saying? They of course all, Paul included, saw the bright light, but so no man.

Just something to consider