Author Topic: (RENOVATED) Revivalism: The Devil's Design  (Read 1357 times)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
(RENOVATED) Revivalism: The Devil's Design
« on: August 28, 2020, 04:51:33 PM »
I have been working all week to renovate this teaching since it was poorly written and had some errors in it. I also added in new Scriptures and links to updated teachings.

As I went through this teaching again, I was reminded about a quote from Charles Spurgeon when he was exposing the deception of the Revivalism Movement, which was picking up popularity in his day, and I hope this quote will have more impact on you all today, considering all the struggle we have gone through to teach the Biblical understanding of repentance, which is godly sorrow of wrongdoing:

"Sometimes we are inclined to think that a very great portion of modern revivalism has been more a curse than a blessing, because it has led thousands to a kind of peace before they have known their misery; restoring the prodigal to the Father's house and never making him say, 'Father, I have sinned.' How can he be healed who is not sick? or he be satisfied with the bread of life who is not hungry? The old-fashioned sense of sin is despised, and consequently a religion is run up before the foundations are dug out. Everything in this age is shallow. Deep-sea fishing is almost an extinct business so far as men's souls are concerned. The consequence is that men leap into religion, and then leap out again. Unhumbled they came to the church, unhumbled they remained in it, and unhumbled they go from it."
-Charles H. Spurgeon, The Sword and the Trowel, 1882, p. 545, [Oxford University]

The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18