Author Topic: Update on our Small Claims Lawsuit  (Read 3805 times)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Update on our Small Claims Lawsuit
« on: September 17, 2020, 11:58:32 AM »
As many in our church are aware, we have a small claims lawsuit we have filed against our neighbors down the street because their two dogs got loose and killed a few of our chickens. We ended up having to shoot the dogs to prevent other chickens from getting injured or killed.

The defendants in the case have filed a counter-claim against us, and not only did I suspect they would do that, I was hoping they would because this is only going to help our case.

Without going into too many details, we have three eye witnesses to the event. We have the eyewitness testimonies of the deputies who were on the scene just after it all happened. We have eyewitnesses to testify that they were harassing Lorraine's employees, and to prove that they lied to the authorities about it to avoid citations. (I am also in the process of getting photographs that were taken by deputies.) We have a the documentation of a court case in 2010, in which the male defendant was prosecuted for eight counts of animal neglect/abandonment, of which we have been told that in order to avoid jail time, he made a plea deal with the judge to never own animals again in Shelby County.

We are now being counter-sued by the defendants for almost $3,000, and though I appreciate all the prayer towards this matter, there is very little to be concerned about here because Lorraine and I were laughing at their counter-claim. For an explanation of damages, they wrote:
"Loss of two dogs. We had 2 Husky dogs that counter defendant Christopher Johnson shot + killed. He lurd [sic] them in his yard + shot them. No evidence they killed his chickens."

Lorraine and I started laughing because they did not even bother to look up and read the Sheriff's report! The judge is probably going to scold them for wasting his time.

All the eyewitnesses to the event will be on our side of the courtroom. There was a woman on Facebook who made a comment insinuating that we "lurd" (i.e. lured) the dogs onto the property, but when the deputy investigated, she backpedaled because she said she did not see anything at all. (i.e. The town I live in is a rumor mill.)

But now they are suing us for damages, pain & suffering, AND lost wages. When I mentioned "lost wages" to Lorraine over the phone when I told her about this, she literally responded: "WHAT?!" ... and then we laughed.

I need to contact the courthouse and see if I am allowed to audio record the hearing because this is going to be comical. Although I always get nervous and shaky anytime I have to speak publicly, I am looking forward to this. The court date is set for Sept 29 at 1:00pm.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

MeganIA

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 30
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Megan
Re: Update on our Small Claims Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 01:37:58 PM »
Have you seen the page where the female defendant has made a petition online to support her cause? I won't post the link here, but just search her name and city, state on duckduckgo.com. It was the first thing that popped up.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 02:12:55 PM »
I have no clue what you're talking about. It does not make any sense to me at all, and I do not recall giving out his and her name and address at any time.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

MeganIA

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 02:31:12 PM »
You didn't. Indiana has their court dockets online.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 03:50:51 PM »
You did not ask me to search court dockets though. The name of the defendants brings up nothing on duckduckgo. Again, you are not being clear as to what you are talking about. I only refrained from providing their names out of courtesy, but I am not going to play this search engine game.

MeganIA

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 06:20:16 PM »
My apologies for not asking.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 10:41:13 PM »
Megan emailed me the link, and yes, the woman is lying... A LOT. Most of her post to form a "petition" was lies, and useless ones at that because forming a petition does NOTHING in a court of law. However, she was also falsely accusing my dad, and a deputy in the process, and so I'm going to stop by that deputy's house and let him know what's going on with her pathetic and deceptive attempt to drum up support.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 10:15:32 AM »
I printed out copies of that petition for court. I also reported the petition to the website and provided them links to the open case. The petition was removed from their website this morning.