Author Topic: Jesus' Genealogy  (Read 2126 times)

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christian
Jesus' Genealogy
« on: October 21, 2020, 05:12:25 AM »
Listening to the latest teaching on Roman Catholicism and the Roman Catholics belief that Mary is God I couldn't help but think of where in the book of Hebrews it gives the information that Jesus is a similitude of Melchizedek and the information is given about Melchizedek.

Hebrews 7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; 2 to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; 3 without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

I don't know about others but for me that raises the question of whether Jesus had any of the genetic material from Mary or rather if her womb was just the means by which the saviour was going to come in to the world.  In the gospels it only gives the genealogy of Joseph almost as if the genealogy of Joseph and Mary are of equal importance even though there was no way Joseph was the father of Jesus.

The genealogy of Joseph
Matthew 1 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. 2 Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren; 3 and Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom      .......   and Matthan begat Jacob; 16 and Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

and the genealogy of Joseph again
Luke 3 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli, 24 which was the son of Matthat,      .......     Phares, which was the son of Juda, 34 which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara,      .....     Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan, 38 which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

My point being that to be of a similitude of Melchizedek then all of the same attributes must apply.  The scriptures don't make a comment of being a similitude except for points x, y and z   ....      which by taking any away would make him not a similitude.

Not the information the members of the Jesus' Mom Fan Club would exactly like to know.  The feminists probably aren't too impressed either.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

theAXEisLAID

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 11
    • View Profile
  • First Name: David
Re: Jesus' Genealogy
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 12:30:55 AM »
The first thing that came to my mind after reading your post was
Titus 3:9 (KJV) But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

However, the more I pondered on it the more I agreed with your conclusion if I understand it correctly.  The BLUF (bottom line up front) I am getting from your post is - despite being brought forth by the virgin Mary, Jesus did not posses any of her physical characteristics.  That is what your saying is it not?

I don't think I gave the Lord's genealogy this much thought in a long time.  I know a lot of Catholics, and I am not saying this subject is unprofitable but I am saying breaching it with them most likely would be.
And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Matthew 3:10 KJV

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 05:01:58 AM »
The first thing that came to my mind after reading your post was
Titus 3:9 (KJV) But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

However, the more I pondered on it the more I agreed with your conclusion if I understand it correctly.  The BLUF (bottom line up front) I am getting from your post is - despite being brought forth by the virgin Mary, Jesus did not posses any of her physical characteristics.  That is what your saying is it not?

No, I wasn't commenting about physical characteristics.  My commenting was just along the lines that although Mary bore Jesus, that didn't make her anything special or any more privileged than the next person.  As Chris pointed out in the teaching, Mary will stand before Jesus in judgement just the same as the rest of us.

To add further, if Mary was so important as the Roman Catholics think she is, then how come the Bible doesn't record anything of her birth or her death.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

theAXEisLAID

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 11
    • View Profile
  • First Name: David
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 10:51:14 AM »
Understood - thank you for clarifying.

And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Matthew 3:10 KJV