Author Topic: The Triune Truth?  (Read 4342 times)

ThomasHGW

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 16
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Thomas
  • Belief: Christian
The Triune Truth?
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:17:11 AM »
Hello everyone, has anyone heard of Brian Moonan here?
Brian Moonan just released a video on the trinity on youtube called The Triune Truth.
I agree with a lot of what Brian teaches on the pagan holidays, and he has a lot of good material on the pagan cults and stuff which is why I was a little surprised to hear him using the term trinity in the video, I was under the impression that the term trinity implies that you are worshipping THREE GODs in one, which goes against what the bible teaches.

Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers? -Malachi 2:10

Giving thanks unto the Father... Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son... For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth... all things were created by him, and for him:
-Colossians 1:12-16

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
-Genesis 1:1

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
-Isaiah 9:6

I agree with everything that he says in the video, about Jesus being God, and Jesus being the Son of god, and everything else, but he kept using the term trinity...
(People in the comments have already said that the term trinity is unbiblical and he didn't seem to care and that would be why I didn't comment and why I'm bringing it here.)

In the article "Is the Trinity a Biblical Doctrine?" toward the end on the picture it stated that using catholic terms has leavened christians, hopefully this is not the case for Brian as I believe he is saved because of everything that he professes to be true.
The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.   -Psalms 119:72

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: The Triune Truth?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 09:58:57 AM »
I believe Brian is our brother in Christ as well. However, I have problems with some of what he teaches. I don't expect any of them to listen to me because they are better men than I am, but he still uses the pagan cross symbols in the materials he sells, and on his website.
http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/symbol.php

He teaches "trinity," which is causing more confusion because it doesn't define the term. And yes, it is technically hypocritical to use the Catholic/pagan terminology while rebuking Catholics and pagans, but I don't know if he's just ignorant of this matter.
http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/trinity.php

He did express having a problem once with me teaching that the "Jesus Saves" signs aren't accomplishing much. I explained to him why; how the Bible teaches that it is the law of the Lord that's perfect converting the soul, and that's taught in Gal 3 as well. It didn't seem like he changed his position on that, so I'm not sure, but please don't expect that he should listen to all my teachings; he's got a lot to do.

There are a number of small things I hear him say when he teaches that I have some Scriptural issue with (I haven't bothered to make note of them in passing), but he does have the humility of repentance in his heart and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ, so I'm not going to push the matter, and he does more evangelism than I do, so it's not that I'm worthy to be heard. Either someone listens to my teachings or they don't; it's not my job to make them hear and understand.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

ThomasHGW

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:36:40 PM »
Yeah It just goes to show that when it says
Beloved, believe not every spirit,but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. - 1 John 4:1
We should test all and see if they are of God, not just people we think are false prophets.
I want to give Brian the benefit of the doubt, only because everything else he was saying lined up perfectly with scripture. But then again 1 John 4:1 because he's denying clear scripture...  Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. - Acts 17:29
 Pslam 19:7 (old testament) and Gal 3:24 (new testament) are perfect examples of how people are saved
  Jesus Christ the same yesterday, to day, and forever. Heb 13:8
The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.   -Psalms 119:72

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 08:52:12 AM »
I believe it's dangerous to get involved in accusations of false converts based on "trinity" doctrines. As long as they believe in God in three persons, we ought not to accuse them of being false brethren on the basis of not understanding the pagan roots. Part of the reason for that is because Paul taught us that it's acceptable to eat meat offered unto idols under the condition that one doesn't have prior knowledge to it, and thus, Brian may not yet understand the matter. We ought to be charitable to give him the benefit of the doubt.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

ThomasHGW

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »
Ah that's a good point, as long as they have the basic doctrine down of what the bible teaches, if they use a term in passing or something of that matter, they're man and can make mistakes as I or anyone else can, we can give them the benefit of the doubt.
I have seen his testimony video and he definitely has a repentant heart.

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »
I've come to understand that the 'trinity' doctrine is one of the hardest false doctrines to convince church-goers (saved and unsaved alike) of the fallacy thereof. They always claim that the 'trinity' is a "given" in the Bible. If only they would allow the Bible to define the doctrine in itself instead of using the philosophies of pagan men to define the doctrine of the Godhead in the Bible.

Masha

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 05:06:23 AM »
I would not be surprised if the trinity has some pagan/occult roots. Like the ancient mythology of Osiris, Horus, Seth, or something similar. When I studied the subject as a newborn, I found it very strange it is not literally written in the Scriptures, so I kinda automatically assumed it was another catholic invention, infiltrated in almost all christian denominations. I did not find the matter serious enough to further study, or discuss with others. It does not form an obstacle for someone's salvation, so I consider the matter not of essential importance. (Correct me if I am wrong!)

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 05:41:20 AM »
The idea of the 'Trinity' does indeed have pagan/occultic roots. Have you read the article Chris wrote on the subject? He posted a link to it in his first reply but here it is again in case you missed it:

http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/trinity.php

I do believe this is a crucial doctrine to understand, but you're probably right in that it's not necessarily an indication that someone is not saved if they believe this in error. However, we should be eager and willing to seek out the truth. Like the Bible says, 'A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.' This is why we need to be so diligent in making sure that what we believe and teach is the truth according to Scripture.

Masha

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 09:51:26 AM »
Totally agree we need to study.     2Ti 2:15, Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 
Yet I also have to select topics according to importance (relevance to me and my understanding that is).
I am not able to study all there is to know. I have found God leads me in the various topics and doctrines as I grow in Him. And I have to leave many things for others to explore, teach and research. When I am blessed enough I get to have my own Bible reading, prayertime and that's it. My main ministery and responsability is my children and husband, and it is more than 5x a full time job. Not complaining, just mean to illustrate the realistic situation where the time is precious and limited. Study is important, but most important is to spend time in Gods Word and to dedicate time to Him. I grow more from just simply reading my Bible than much of the teachings I listen to or read about. I do listen to teachings like Chris' and do appreciate the knowledge shared in those, but Gods Word is basically all I need to understand, grow and learn.
Studying doctrines like the trinity seem to be beyond my reach for now. If God clearly shows me or leads me to study it, then will be my time to understand it fully. That is not now. What I have found in the Scriptures concerning is: 1Jo 5:7, For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.