Author Topic: What Was Joash Thinking?!  (Read 3479 times)

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
What Was Joash Thinking?!
« on: April 29, 2018, 02:54:40 AM »
Joash has to be the most baffling king Judah ever had. For the life of me, I just cannot fathom why he would have done the things he did.

Here's a little background: Jehoram was the son of Jeshoshaphat and he was married to Athaliah, daughter of Ahab of Israel.

2 Kings 8:16 And in the fifth year of Joram the son of Ahab king of Israel, Jehoshaphat being then king of Judah, Jehoram the son of Jehoshaphat king of Judah began to reign. 17 Thirty and two years old was he when he began to reign; and he reigned eight years in Jerusalem. 18 And he walked in the way of the kings of Israel, as did the house of Ahab: for the daughter of Ahab was his wife: and he did evil in the sight of the Lord.

After Jehoram came Ahaziah:

2 Kings 8:26 Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign; and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Athaliah, the daughter of Omri king of Israel.

Omri was actually the father of Ahab, so this bit does make sense.

Anyway, after Ahaziah was murdered, Athalia killed all of Jehoram's other children and took the throne for herself. Only Joash (later referred to as Jehoash) Ahaziah's infant son was saved. He was about a year old, since he was hidden in the temple for six years and then crowned king by Jehoiada the priest when he was seven.

2 Kings 11:1And when Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all the seed royal. 2 But Jehosheba, the daughter of king Joram, sister of Ahaziah, took Joash the son of Ahaziah, and stole him from among the king's sons which were slain; and they hid him, even him and his nurse, in the bedchamber from Athaliah, so that he was not slain. 3 And he was with her hid in the house of the Lord six years. And Athaliah did reign over the land.

4 And the seventh year Jehoiada sent and fetched the rulers over hundreds, with the captains and the guard, and brought them to him into the house of the Lord, and made a covenant with them, and took an oath of them in the house of the Lord, and shewed them the king's son.

17 And Jehoiada made a covenant between the Lord and the king and the people, that they should be the Lord's people; between the king also and the people. 18 And all the people of the land went into the house of Baal, and brake it down; his altars and his images brake they in pieces thoroughly, and slew Mattan the priest of Baal before the altars. And the priest appointed officers over the house of the Lord. 19 And he took the rulers over hundreds, and the captains, and the guard, and all the people of the land; and they brought down the king from the house of the Lord, and came by the way of the gate of the guard to the king's house. And he sat on the throne of the kings. 20 And all the people of the land rejoiced, and the city was in quiet: and they slew Athaliah with the sword beside the king's house. 21 Seven years old was Jehoash when he began to reign.

2 Chronicles 22 actually gives more detail on this.

Okay, so Joash/Jehoash was raised in the temple for six years by Jehoiada the priest. Then Jehoiada gathered all the priests and Levites from all over Judah together along with an army and declared Joash king. After that, they went out and killed Athaliah. 2 Kings 12 and 2 Chronicles 24 detail how Joash ordered the priests to collect money to repair the temple and then REBUKED the priests, including Jehoiada, for collecting the money but not doing anything with it! He finally lit a fire under them and got the job done.

Now here's the bit that absolutely blows my mind:

2 Chronicles 24:15 But Jehoiada waxed old, and was full of days when he died; an hundred and thirty years old was he when he died. 16 And they buried him in the city of David among the kings, because he had done good in Israel, both toward God, and toward his house. 17 Now after the death of Jehoiada came the princes of Judah, and made obeisance to the king. Then the king hearkened unto them. 18 And they left the house of the Lord God of their fathers, and served groves and idols: and wrath came upon Judah and Jerusalem for this their trespass. 19 Yet he sent prophets to them, to bring them again unto the Lord; and they testified against them: but they would not give ear. 20 And the Spirit of God came upon Zechariah the son of Jehoiada the priest, which stood above the people, and said unto them, Thus saith God, Why transgress ye the commandments of the Lord, that ye cannot prosper? because ye have forsaken the Lord, he hath also forsaken you. 21 And they conspired against him, and stoned him with stones at the commandment of the king in the court of the house of the Lord. 22 Thus Joash the king remembered not the kindness which Jehoiada his father had done to him, but slew his son. And when he died, he said, The Lord look upon it, and require it.

How could he just forsake God that quickly, start worshiping idols and then turn on Jehoiada's family like that? Like I said, it just blows my mind how someone could so completely turn around like that. It makes NO sense.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:04:32 AM by Jeanne »

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: What Was Joash Thinking?!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »
I understand that is just "wisdom of words," but "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." I'd hate to think what I might do with the power of a king, while I am still in the flesh. I understand more now, as I approach my middle-age years, why the Lord God has never allowed me to have much or make much money; I would have been heavily corrupted through it, namely, because the power to get whatever you want whenever you want it is the quickest path to sin.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »
The part I REALLY don't get is why he would go after serving idols. I mean, the easiest thing to do would be to recognise/serve NO god. Why would he even bother with sacrifices and offerings if he wasn't going to serve the one true God? I could understand that easier than what he actually did.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 04:17:18 PM »
I'm just writing quickly from work so not giving details but the same kind of folly for Solomon.  So much for having wisdom but one would have thought that wisdom would have given him enough insight to do what was right for all of his days until he left the face of the world. 

It isn't just a matter of running the race or starting a job but a matter of seeing it to its completion.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 10:29:39 PM »
Even Solomon was turned aside by his many wives and all the gods THEY served. It seems like his turning from God was kind of a gradual thing. He had a lot of bad influence from right inside his own house. Joash, as far as we know, didn't have that.

All it says is that 'the princes of Judah' came to him and he listened to them instead of continuing to do what he had done all his life. Jehoiada would have been like a father figure to him as a very young child and was there to advise him until he died. So Joash all of a sudden does a 180 and turns his back on everything he's known all his life?  :o :o :o

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 06:25:54 AM »
I tried showing the family trees to make it easier to see but the system can't show Courier font.

Omri     
                                                             |       
                                                             |       
     Jehoshaphat (King of Judah)         Ahab (King of  Israel)
                    |                                            |               |       
                    |                                            |               |       
    XXX         Jehoram                             Athaliah     Joram     
    |           |   |                                            |               |       
    |           |   |                                            |               |       
     ______     ________________________            Jehosheba   
     |   |   |                   |                             
     |   |   |                   |                             
     M   M   M                Ahaziah(Murdered)               
     u   u   u                   |                             
     r   r   r                     |                             
     d   d   d                 Joash (Jehoash)                 

Jehoiada (The priest)                       
         |                                       
         |                                       
    Zechariah (stoned with stones)               

2 Chronicles 24:15
17 Now after the death of Jehoiada came the princes of Judah, and made obeisance to the king. Then the king hearkened unto them.

http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/obeisance

Obeisance
OBE'ISANCE, noun [Latin obedio.]
A bow or courtesy; an act of reverence made by an inclination of the body or the knee. Genesis 37:7.

It seems he might have been one of those people who are easily led and fooled by the princes of Judah in to doing something so stupid.  Rather than being pestered and ridiculed by the princes he might have just taken the easy way out and had Zechariah put to death and then continued on the rest of the wicked way.  The whole lot seems to be just the usual bad behaviour of the Israelites that saw them kicked out of the land.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 06:38:48 AM »
Solomon may have been in much the same kind of a situation and even having to stand up against boisterous wicked people.

1 Kings 3 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
7 And now, O Lord my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in. 8 And thy servant is in the midst of thy people which thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered nor counted for multitude. 9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?