Author Topic: Two Days With The Gentiles  (Read 3457 times)

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christian
Two Days With The Gentiles
« on: May 05, 2018, 10:29:31 PM »
I was reading 2Peter and then thought that the possibly associated subject matter might be of interest to the general public who has access to read the General Category > Bible Discussion topics on the forum.

Often today we hear people referring to others as a "good Samaritan" and I have often found myself humouring such people along to show them that they are using the term out of context and the term is usually used without the person knowing that the term is from the Bible. 

Some Background
The Samaritans were the non-Israelite peoples who were moved into the northern part of Israel in about 677 BC to occupy the land after the ten northern tribes of Israel were taken captive by the Assyrians. 

2 Kings 17 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
24 And the king of Assyria brought men from Babylon, and from Cuthah, and from Ava, and from Hamath, and from Sepharvaim, and placed them in the cities of Samaria instead of the children of Israel: and they possessed Samaria, and dwelt in the cities thereof. 25 And so it was at the beginning of their dwelling there, that they feared not the Lord: therefore the Lord sent lions among them, which slew some of them. 26 Wherefore they spake to the king of Assyria, saying, The nations which thou hast removed, and placed in the cities of Samaria, know not the manner of the God of the land: therefore he hath sent lions among them, and, behold, they slay them, because they know not the manner of the God of the land. 27 Then the king of Assyria commanded, saying, Carry thither one of the priests whom ye brought from thence; and let them go and dwell there, and let him teach them the manner of the God of the land. 28 Then one of the priests whom they had carried away from Samaria came and dwelt in Beth-el, and taught them how they should fear the Lord.

As in the scripture above, because the people who were moved in to the land were un-Godly they were the subject of God's wrath in the land that God had chosen as a land for His chosen people that were to be used for His plan of redemption for the whole world.  Ironically one of the Levite priests was chosen to teach the Samaritans how they should live in God's land and as a result the Samaritans began to follow the Law of Moses even though they were not the chosen people.  Ironic because it was because of the failure of the Levite priests as well as the rest of the people that they got kicked out of the promised land.  As a result of this these non-Israelite northern people were always rejected by the southern tribes of Judah, Benjamin and the Levites associated with them who were allowed back in to the southern part of Israel after their exile was over.

Fast forward to Jesus time.

John 4 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, 2 (though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,) 3 he left Judea, and departed again into Galilee. 4 And he must needs go through Samaria. ...

John 4 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did. 40 So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two days. 41 And many more believed because of his own word; 42 and said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

43 Now after two days he departed thence, and went into Galilee.

It is of interest to note that Jesus spent two days with these non-Israelites (gentiles) before He continued heading north on His way to Galilee.  Could there be any significance in this spending two days with the gentiles?

2 Peter 3 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
3 ... there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 4 and saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. 5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: 6 whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: 7 but the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

It is of interest to note that slackness would be the description you would use of someone who is not punctual and does not turn up on time.  If being diligent is one of the attributes that God wishes us to have then He must be seen to do the same as an example to us.

It is now almost exactly two thousand years that God has been with the gentiles.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if all of the end time events leading up to the return of Christ occur within the next ten years

When things start happening it will begin without much warning to those who haven't recognised the Elijah type person who will preceed the major events and leading God's true believers to safety.  When the flood of Noah started, apart from Noah and his family, they had no warning and were all killed and the same with Sodom and Gomorrah, only as soon as Lot and others associated left the city then destruction came immediately.

Anyway I hope the information on who the Samaritans are was entertaining and I leave the reader with the thought that the time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.

2 Peter 3 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Re: Two Days With The Gentiles
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 12:13:35 AM »
You kind of missed the whole point of where the term 'good Samaritan' came from. The info you gave on who the Samaritans were is great but you didn't put in the parable Jesus told:

Luke 10:29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour? 30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. 33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, 34 and went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee. 36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? 37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

The priests and Levites were the ones who were SUPPOSED to look after the poor and needy in Israel but the Samaritans were under no such obligation. Yet, in the story, it was a Samaritan who did what the priest and the Levite neglected to do.

I think a lot of people continue to misinterpret 2 Peter 3:8. I don't think this is meant to refer to any specific time. It's just an illustration that God is OUTSIDE of time and that He doesn't measure time the way we do. Days and years mean nothing to Him in the context of eternity.

That being said, you did make an interesting observation and I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility. I wouldn't try to go and make a doctrine out of it, though.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 05:16:23 AM »
Hi Jeanne

Thanks for that.  Yes, I intentionally left out the whole parable of the 'Good Samaritan' and left that for anyone reading to follow up on themselves and see what that was about.  I do the same when I explain to people here that the whole Samaritan situation is Biblical and while finding out about that they might like to check out while they have time the importance of other things that are also very important.  Hence why I regularly challenge people about 'evolution' as so much of our society is based on this fable.

Although I don't make a definite doctrine on any of what I wrote about the days and the thousands of years I do try to get across to people that any time is a good time to start paying attention to what is written in the Bible. 
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »
I thought that was interesting. I think there's a lot of assumption in there though, so it's not something I would teach. It's something I'll think on though.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 09:35:53 PM »
re: When things start happening it will begin without much warning

Hi All

I'm not sure if any of the rest of you are watching too closely what is potentially unfolding with the events occuring in Hawaii.  What at first can appear to be a volcanic event is much more likely to be a volcanic event that has been caused by a geologic event.  That area that is moving is called the Hilina Slump.  The area moves every 2.5 years as regular as clockwork.  As expected the area did move earlier this year.  If that large piece of land slides down in to the ocean it is going to cause a mega-tsunami that will cause devastation to the west coast of the USA and Central and South America.  At the water's edge of this zone the ocean depth drops straight down to a depth of about 4000 metres to 5000 metres deep.

This isn't "scare mongering", this is something that has a real potential to occur.

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 04:59:36 AM »
I've been following a guy on YouTube called Dutchsinse for nearly a year now. He monitors earthquakes and seismic events all over the world and makes a weekly forecast of where he expects earthquakes to occur based on years of observation of patterns. He's usually pretty accurate.

He was expecting a major earthquake in the west Pacific somewhere between Taiwan and Japan based on the fact that back in 2011, the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan followed behind events in Hawaii similar to what is happening now. Namely, that Pu'u O'o crater collapsed and then the lava lake at Kilauea drained out. It hasn't happened yet and he was expecting it a couple of days ago but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Of course, it doesn't mean it will, either.