Author Topic: Fuel Related  (Read 1379 times)

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christian
Fuel Related
« on: June 30, 2021, 07:03:18 PM »
In times of increasing fuel prices, it might be tempting to use a cheaper and lower octane rated petrol for a car, but that can destroy or cause serious damage to your engine.  Sorry this is a bit long, but it could save you a lot of money, time and anxiety.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/118860583/family-left-with-7k-engine-repair-bill-after-using-91-octane-petrol-to-save-money
Family left with $7k engine repair bill after using 91 octane petrol to save money
Putting 91 fuel in a 95-rated car can have dire consequences.

A family's decision to use 91 octane petrol in their European car to save money has backfired.

Aron and Adelle Bailey remain thousands of dollars worse off after losing a case against a dealer in the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal.

The couple said Gazley Motors in Wellington should have told them the Volkswagen Sharan took 95 octane petrol.

The tribunal disagreed, finding it was the responsibility of the buyer to work out what sort of fuel should be used in a vehicle, even though there was no sticker on the van's fuel flap.

Meanwhile, the AA has sounded the alarm about using the right petrol in the right car, sharing a story of a turbo engine blowing up after one drive using 91.

BUYER BEWARE

The saga began with the Baileys test driving the vehicle at Gazley Motors.

They had twins on the way and took a shine to the capacious people mover.

The tribunal's judgement records Aron as saying he was certain no-one at Gazley told them what sort of fuel should be used in the Volkswagen, other than petrol.

There was no sticker near the fuel cap warning it needed 95 octane petrol.

Despite the fact of Aron earlier owning European vehicles, which he had fuelled with 95, the family filled the Volkswagen with 91 octane petrol as "it's the cheapest option," the judgement notes.

Twenty three months and 13,000km later, their mechanic found one of the pistons in the engine showed signs of damage likely to have been caused by their use of 91.

The engine cost $7577 to repair, which the couple sought to recover from Gazley.

They also took issue with the failure of the dealer to service the transmission prior to sale.

In line with previous decisions, the tribunal dismissed their bid for compensation for the fuel issue.

Adjudicator Jason McHerron said it would have been preferable if Gazley Motors told them the vehicle was designed for 95 octane fuel.

But he did not consider it was the dealer's fault the wrong fuel was used.

"As this tribunal has previously found, it is not the responsibility of a motor vehicle trader to positively disclose such information.

"Rather, it is the consumer's responsibility to make the necessary enquiries to determine what sort of fuel should be used in a vehicle".

Gazley agreed to cover the cost of servicing the transmission.

ONE DRIVE WITH 91 COULD BE ALL IT TAKES

AA motoring advisor Cade Wilson once worked for Subaru, where he saw first hand the risk of using a lower octane fuel than recommended.

Some customers purchased turbo-charged cars, such as a high performance Subaru Legacy, not realising it required high octane fuel.

That could have dire consequences, as in one memorable case after a customer "boosted it" on their first run.

"One tank of 91 blew the engine up.

"I pulled the engine apart myself and saw the pistons melted."

Octane ratings measure the performance of fuel.

A higher octane fuel can withstand more compression by a piston in a cylinder before detonating.

Engines are tuned to fuel of a certain octane.

If a fuel of insufficient octane is used, the explosion happens too early, forcing the piston back before it has reached the full extent of its stroke.

The result can be a knocking sound and engine damage.

Wilson said most Japanese cars that are not performance-oriented take 91 octane by default, unless stated otherwise.

In contrast, many Europeans cars are turbo-charged so they need a higher octane, including European cars imported from Japan.

On the flipside, there was little benefit from using 95 octane in a car rated for 91.

"Some cars will run slightly better but it's sort of like putting synthetic oil in an old car, you end up spending more money to do the same thing."
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Joshua JZB

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 27
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Fuel Related
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 08:01:54 PM »
I've always wondered if using 95 in my car would make any difference, now I have my answer!

Sounds like their plan quite literally backfired on them. ;) Glad they got their transmission covered at least.

I'll be thinking of this next time I fuel up.
For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth. - Psalm 74:12