Author Topic: Help finding: Biblically sound music  (Read 1899 times)

samprice716

Help finding: Biblically sound music
« on: November 28, 2021, 02:02:55 PM »
So in the past I have fallen trap for “new age christian music”. With artists like Hillsong and many artists that have stemmed from them (or collaborate with them). You’d be surprised how many of them are tied together. I have come to find that a lot of that type of contemporary christian music can dangerously lead us into false theology and doctrines. And it can be very scary for baby Christians in the faith if they are not aware of these things. I have thought these things over for a while now.  Then I came across Christopher’s article on the topic and have found it very helpful. And it solidified what the spirit of God was convincing me of. I’ll leave it below…

http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/music.php

Anyway what I wanted to do with this post is ask for some biblically sound recommendations to listen to. Recently I used to listen to some lesser known Christian artists who were taking the psalms and translating them into songs. Which to the ears were very beautiful. And I thought it was teaching good theology. Only to realize it was very easy for them to (I’ll say accidentally because I’m not sure they realized what they were doing)… but to twist scripture. I read a little bit about how they created their lyrics and I found out that they were using multiple Bible versions to create their lyrics. Which I didn’t believe was right. So since then i really haven’t been listening to music at all. And then I thought well maybe hymns are better. But then there is false theology in those too. Maybe this is still my fleshly desire for music in general. So please correct me if I’m at fault. So how do I have better discernment with these things? Should we listen to music at all (thinking out loud)?And what are some maybe lesser known artists you all recommend that have biblically sound doctrine? Thanks and I appreciate all your responses. I keep reverting back to this scripture…

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Ephesians 5:19 KJV

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
    • Isaiah 42:12 Blog
  • First Name: Rowan
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Help finding: Biblically sound music
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 11:09:16 AM »
I must admit that I'm not listening to a great deal of music myself at the moment, but I don't think it's altogether wrong to listen to music. After all, God created music, and there are NUMEROUS references to singing and instruments in the Bible. To cite just one:

I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee. (Psalm 144:9)

God is certainly pleased with the right kind of music:

And it came to pass, when the priests were come out of the holy place: (for all the priests that were present were sanctified, and did not then wait by course: Also the Levites which were the singers, all of them of Asaph, of Heman, of Jeduthun, with their sons and their brethren, being arrayed in white linen, having cymbals and psalteries and harps, stood at the east end of the altar, and with them an hundred and twenty priests sounding with trumpets:) It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD; So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God. (2 Chronicles 5:11-14)

Evil spirits hate godly music:

And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him. (1 Samuel 16:23)

So when used aright, music can be a wonderful thing indeed. Unfortunately, Satan has greatly corrupted music, and there is a reason why he is so good at it. Before he fell, he was a remarkably beautiful creature and highly adept in music:

Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. (Ezekiel 28:13)

So it is certainly a challenge nowadays to find truly godly music that has not been tainted in some way by the Devil. CCM is certainly corrupted, based as it is on a foundation of rock and roll. And as you say, some of the old hymns can be tainted by bad theology (at least they don't have a rock beat, although that said, some have been "jazzed up").

I like some of the hymns of Fanny Crosby. Fairly sure that Blessed Assurance and To God Be the Glory are sound. They have nice happy melodies too (Crosby was a Methodist, and they're fans of joyful singing, although they have a few theological issues). The classic oratorio, Handel's Messiah, is based on the King James Bible. (If anyone knows of issues with Handel's Messiah though, please advise.) I used to quite like Majesty Music, which do have some quite sound and godly tunes. However, I have gone off them a bit now as they celebrate Christmas (i.e. they put out material with Christmas songs) and some of their Patch the Pirate material for children (which I've never actually listened to) has apparently started to take on contemporary flavours. If you like bluegrass-type music, I have enjoyed some material by the Marksmen Quartet and Seminole String Band, although I wouldn't give either a 100% endorsement (for instance, the Seminole String Band includes a couple of songs by contemporary composers Keith and Kristin Getty in their repertoire). But I have found some of their stuff to be edifying.

Not sure if I've actually helped you much there. It's no easy matter to find real godly music that is "unspotted by the world". But certainly, if you can find some, there is absolutely nothing wrong with listening to it!
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17)

samprice716

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 06:53:15 PM »
Rowan:

Yes, your response was helpful. It's encouraging to know God delights in songs and melodies being made to him. I believe as long as we are being obedient to him, he will hear us. It's sad that a lot of "christian music" has been corrupted. But many are called, few are chosen. There are a lot believers to claim to be of Christ and are not. I will start looking into some more hymns. It would be nice if more of the body of Christ would create their own songs for their church body and stick to biblical principles and then share it with others. (And not purely for financial gain) Like it seems this ministry seems to be doing with sharing biblical teachings with others. But many care of the things of the world.. but instead care for the things of God.

I'll for sure check out the hymns written by Fanny Crosby. If I do find some more music I will be sure to send it to the group!

Joshua JZB

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 27
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 09:36:23 PM »
Hello Samantha, I've been reading your posts and introduction and they've been very encouraging. Good to have you here and nice to meet you. :)

A while ago I came across an album that puts music to the Psalms 120-134 (apparently referred to as the Songs of Ascents) straight from the KJV. So the text is perfect, and I don't find anything wrong with the music though let me know if anyone disagrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0RAEUTrhy0

The style of each one is quite different. I've been enjoying them a lot, a couple of my favourites are 121 and 123. Sadly not all their others songs are KJV but they often use the NKJV instead. But they do have a lot of other songs using the KJV but I haven't looked at these much yet.
For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth. - Psalm 74:12

samprice716

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 09:48:45 PM »
Joshua JZB:
Nice to meet you as well!

That’s funny actually that you post that. I actually found out about that album just a few weeks ago! I used to listen to a lot of psalms to music. Which I loved but I found that they were sometimes taking scriptures out of context or using modern Bible versions.

I ended up just following her word for word in my own bible and realized she sings her song from the KJV word for word. I found it pretty nice of the ears as well. Lol. Not the point of the worship music but you know what I mean. I’ve mainly listened to her KJV songs though.

Thanks for mentioning that! It’s nice in case someone else reads it.  :D

Joshua JZB

• CLE Church Members
  • Edification: 27
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 07:20:09 AM »
I was wondering if others had come across them. Good that you found them! I've memorized a couple of the Psalms now just from listening.

I've found similar problems with other scripture songs, more so that often they ignore scripture that is heavier and that would convict anyone of sin or cause them to fear God. I just finished reading Chris' book on the christian music industry, and one of the many things it illustrates is the self-centered nature of the music. And I think that this also guides the scripture that gets chosen, the ones that make us feel good, while the others that might not make us feel so good gets ignored.

Rowan, I had always wondered where that idea that Satan was skilled in music came from, thanks for sharing the verse.
For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth. - Psalm 74:12

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 05:52:14 AM »
I just came across this on the Way of Life Literature site:

Suggested Sacred Music Recordings

So a few more options there.

samprice716

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 05:32:54 PM »
Thanks Rowan! Will be sure to check it out.

samprice716

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 09:00:08 PM »
I found something else I'd like to share...

I found verbatim full chapter scripture songs. So far, I really like it. I also am in agreement in how they were created and what was her purpose in making them. I'm really desiring to memorize scripture so I believe this could be super helpful and edifying! I'll leave it below in case anyone is interested...

https://singthekjv.app/scripture-songs

heathertaylor

• Born Again Christians
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Heather
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 09:23:22 PM »
Sam thank you for sharing that link to singing the kjv. I like it.
2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

samprice716

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 10:48:44 PM »
Your welcome!

Pilgrim Mike

• Born Again Christians
  • Edification: 8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Micheal
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 09:34:08 PM »
There for a while I used to listen to Hillsong. As I started to read and meditate on God's word more and more every day I started to realize that their theology wasn't of God as well as the majority of " Christian " bands. They seem to make the songs about emotions with a Jesus label wrapped around it. If I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong, Hillsong is a part of bethel church which supports homosexuality and the prosperity gospel. Have you ever heard of a group called Petra? I haven't listened to them in a long time and honestly didn't think of the band until I read your post.

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2021, 10:49:52 PM »
There for a while I used to listen to Hillsong. As I started to read and meditate on God's word more and more every day I started to realize that their theology wasn't of God as well as the majority of " Christian " bands. They seem to make the songs about emotions with a Jesus label wrapped around it. If I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong, Hillsong is a part of bethel church which supports homosexuality and the prosperity gospel. Have you ever heard of a group called Petra? I haven't listened to them in a long time and honestly didn't think of the band until I read your post.

If you're talking to Samantha, Pilgrim Mike, I'm afraid she has now left. It would be going completely off the topic of this thread to explain why (and would also take too long), but I'll give you a hint: read the Madonna thread.

Although I used to be rather heavily into CCM, I don't know all that many pieces by Hillsong. However, I am familiar with their most famous song, Shout to the Lord. That is certainly far more about emotions than worshipping God in spirit and truth, which is what true Christian music should be about. Hillsong is a very corrupt tree. As you say, they preach the prosperity gospel and support (or are very soft on) homosexuality. The Australian branch (which I think is the original one) has also been caught up in sex abuse scandals. It seems that the Hillsong church is not a very safe place for young women.

Due to my past interest in CCM, I have definitely heard of Petra. They're one of the "big names" in CCM, like Amy Grant or Michael W. Smith. On the whole, they tend to be quite hard rockers, but they also have a few ballads. Their most iconic hits are mostly ballads. The Petra song that I remember best is Don't Let Your Heart Be Hardened. That song doesn't have the worst lyrics, except for this quite bizarre line:

May your heart be always open
Never satisfied with right

Umm, WHAT?  :o Never satisfied with RIGHT? What kind of counsel is that? Not very godly counsel, that's for sure. Moreover, they sneak that in amidst some other quite reasonable-sounding lyrics. Like subliminal messaging or something.

Another song by Petra that I remember quite well is Thankful Heart. Like the previous song, it's a ballad. It's also a typical CCM self-centred song. Example of one of this song's lyrics:

There is no way to begin
To tell you how I feel

That could have been lifted out of any wicked rock or pop song. Speaking of which, Petra is also known for their cover of the song, God Gave Rock and Roll to You (which is, of course, a complete lie). Guess who sang that song (yet another ballad) originally? KISS! That's one of their big hits! Here is an article from ten years ago about how CCM yokes up with secular rock (Petra gets a brief mention):

https://www.wayoflife.org/reports/christian_rockers_and_secular_rockers.html

The reason why they yoke up is because they are of the same spirit. And that spirit is NOT the Spirit of God, but the spirit of the world. So Petra, like Hillsong, should certainly be marked and avoided. If you haven't listened to them for a while, that's good. Don't start again! If you have listened to something by them recently (out of curiosity or nostalgia or whatever), well it's not the end of the world. But it's best not to get entangled with that stuff again, because ultimately, it won't bear any good fruit in your life. CCM certainly did nothing good for me. It entertained my flesh, just like secular rock. That was about it - other than that it occasionally had better messages than outright secular rock. However, even the good messages were mixed up with sensual rock music, and God does not tolerate mixing the holy with the profane. Not that there's much of anything holy in most CCM lyrics anyway!

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 04:14:50 AM »
If you haven't already, I suggest you read Chris' article on CCM

http://creationliberty.com/articles/music.php

Lots of good info in this one!

Pilgrim Mike

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 06:55:33 PM »
Thanks Rowan M. Now that you mention it and I look back those bands sing about the opposite message other than the one they allegedly do sing about. I'm not sure if you ever looked at it like this but I believe a lot of people miss the fact that their unbiblical doctrine goes further than the stage. I truly believe that some, probably more than what I think, get their " theology " from. They obviously haven't hidden God's word in their heart that they might not sin against Him. Thank you for the lyric refrances ( I think I spelled that wrong ) regarding petra. I didn't realize that they were that self centered.

Pilgrim Mike

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2021, 06:59:07 PM »
Also Rowan M. I did read the " Madonna " article/post. That was some crazy stuff on her and her followers part. l absolutely love the fact that Christopher Johnson used patience backed up with scripture to counter all that. It just further shows that God's word will not return unto Him void and will accomplish what it was meant to do.