Author Topic: Friendship  (Read 964 times)

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 10
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Brian
  • Belief: Other
Friendship
« on: August 16, 2022, 10:47:01 AM »
I didn't see yet if a guest can start a new topic, and I'm usually fairly low-key and would not be prone to start one without knowing.  Yet this topic has been on my mind and my wife's mind a lot during the past 3 years of covid nonsense.  So I thought I would try posting this. We have always been cautious in friendship, as Proverbs says. It seems like before covid, it used to be easier for us to discern people's character, because there wasn't this covid 'elephant on the table.' So we would of course look for basic things, like whether the person seemed to really trust and obey God.

But in the past 3 years, it has sometimes been harder to discern. We may meet a person who in the other areas seems like a potential friend. But then we find out that person is greatly deceived about covid and other Truth, and that person is probably a false convert. It seems socially awkward sometimes to ask someone you've just met a question like 'what do you think about covid'?  Or have you taken the mrna poison shots?  It's partly because it's a bit personal.  Besides not having as many new friends as usual, we have also lost friends during this time.  They seem to have shown no interest in Truth when it comes to covid or current events, and they have even resisted the topic. Some have even shilled for the dark side, for example taking jobs at hospitals which have been proactively murdering patients. 

So we have had more sad times than normal recently. But we try to keep our joy for the few friends who remain at least somewhat interested in Truth, and for some new friends we have met.  We sometimes feel like some people from the bible who felt alone. Our solution has been to try to live out Paul's encouragement to be joyful, prayerful, and thankful in all situations. And we have tried to meet new friends in different places, where we think God has opened doors for us to find like-minded people.  I thought it would be fair and good to let everyone know what we are trying to do in regards to my question, before I ask it.

My question to the group is: Has keeping and finding friends been a particular struggle for you especially in the past few years of this covid deception, and what are you doing about it?

Godspeed.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Friendship
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 12:16:51 PM »
My question to the group is: Has keeping and finding friends been a particular struggle for you especially in the past few years of this covid deception, and what are you doing about it?
Well, if you think its bad now, just wait until we get closer to the end. In the parable, half of the church fell away.

Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
-Mat 25:1-10

We're going to find out that, in the end, there are more false converts among us than we thought. Covid didn't do anything but reveal the cowardice, laziness, and willful ignorance of those around us. This is why they get sensitive when you bring up those topics, especially nowadays. They know what they did was stupid. They know it was useless. They know people are still dying from this stupidity and vanity, and they don't want to admit they were taken in by it, because by admitting it, they are (philosophically) admitting their own cowardice, laziness, and willful ignorance.

Thus, if people cannot admit those very basic things, how can they come to repentance of them? If they are not repentant of their sin, how does God forgive them for it?

I don't assume that someone is not of Christ until I start to see them reject Scripture for the sake of their own personal opinions and feelings, but when evidence like I just mentioned starts stacking up, it makes it very difficult for me to consider someone brethren because the brethren I know do what's right over what's convenient because we serve the Almighty God.

Those that serve to alleviate their uncomfortability in standing up for what is right in social situations by simply "going with the flow" cannot be my friends because I cannot respect or trust them after that. (Unless they come to repentance of it.) Outside of those in the church, I haven't had any friends in over a decade because they don't like what I have to say, and I don't like what they do.

How can you have a friend that speaks consistently in a way that contradicts the philosophy of Christ? I am ready and willing to be charitable and kind to my neighbors, but they are not my friends.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 04:35:11 PM »
Thank you Chris. Good distinctions between neighbors, for example, and friends. I hope this encourages many.  I like that passage because it does provide a specific example.  It reminds me that there are other examples that indicate even less. For example, when Christ says narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.  Since few indicates much less than half, apparently it will be a very small number.  If I understand right, one thing you are doing about the challenge of friendship is recognizing the harsh reality that if anything, all of us true believers will likely face fewer friendships moving forward. And the other thing you are doing is simply staying cautious and not lowering your standards when many churchgoers are.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 05:22:56 PM »
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
-James 4:4

I just have a hard time making friends with the enemies of God. God is SO kind and charitable to them, even though they hate Him in deeds. Therefore, can we not do the same?
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

John93

• Newly Registered (Forum LVL 0)
  • Edification: 5
    • View Profile
  • First Name: John
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 12:16:27 PM »
I have less than a handful of people that I consider a close friend anymore, which is one of the biggest reasons why I joined this group. Almost everyone in my life save for a few people got the covid shot/booster and/or seems to be deceived by so much false doctrine (if they're even interested in God at all.) Many don't seem to care much about the word of God as far as I can tell.

In addition to that..so many family members, coworkers, and acquaintances encouraged me to take the shot during the height of the plandemic. I definitely think these people will be the same ones in the tribulation delivering believers up to be killed due to rejecting the mark and their beloved beast/antichrist. It's not that I dislike them, I just can't be close anymore.

Also wanted to add that this post in particular hit hard for me as almost exactly a year ago, I lost my father to the hospital system. I'm working on a full writeup on that, but the cliff notes version is..he went in with a high blood sugar level, and a low oxygen level. The hospital got a positive covid test and just one day after he was admitted to the Covid ICU, was given 5 days of remdesivir. Then, they vented him and as he was being vented, he went into cardiac arrest due to "agitation and worsening condition". They brought him back after 15 minutes of CPR, and he was on the vent for roughly a week and change before they gave him midozalam and fentanyl on his final day, which I think may have contributed to his second cardiac arrest episode. They claimed they tried to revive him for 30 minutes, but I'll never be sure about what happened at any point during his hospital stay. I definitely believe they are poisoning people to death (or simply pulling ventilators) and hiding behind "protocols" until proven wrong. Per Florida Law, the doctors basically have immunity from what I can see.

It's sad when people don't want to listen to truth and shut you out. I think in most cases, the world doesn't want to be a friend of the Christian any more than a Christian wants to compromise to get along with the world. If you share the truth with many people..they'll walk away from you. I've also found that in most cases, unbelievers want believers to compromise their values (Personally, I've had people ask me to join them to smoke, or in perversion), but find it too restricting and forceful for a believer to share Christ, which typically makes close friendship with them basically impossible. Different values, different interests, etc

Brian, I've also wondered about how narrow the way is.. in Revelation 7:9-10, there seems to be a great multitude:

After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

In Acts 2:39-47, 3000 souls received the words of Peter, with many more being added to the church daily by the Lord after that.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

But at the same time, compared to all the people who have or ever will exist, it seems it will only be a relative few who make it per the word of Christ (as you mentioned). For example, only 8 souls went on the ark. 

Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. -1 Peter 3:20

Sodom and Gomorrah was similar. Only Lot and his two daughters made it out, with Lot's wife being made an example for all generations..

Remember Lot's wife. Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it. -Luke 17:32-33

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 05:00:43 PM »
Hi John, thank you for your reply and for being so open. It's great to meet another Floridian!  What can I say, we see things very similarly. My heart goes out to you about your dad, especially on this timing. I hope that I could try to encourage you with one quick point there. Forgive me if it's not the right timing. Since God wants us to seek justice, I just want to let you know, if you don't, about Jeff Childers' substack "CoffeeandCovid", because Jeff has been doing a wonderful job seeking justice in many areas, including hospitals. He defeated the entire city of Gainesville, FL last year on this topic, and was the first attorney in the nation to do so. He's a real believer, and I've met him in person and have regular correspondence. He's out of Gainesville. He recognized an older hero last week who I know. It's a 70-year-old doctor who was almost murdered in Sarasota Memorial hospital by the staff. God spared him. God has given him the clever idea to have believers run for the board. So now the public has a chance to vote for godly people to run the hospital system in Sarasota County. It's an idea that christians could replicate around the nation, and I'm not sure anyone else has thought of it.

I can also relate, because my wife has been a nurse her whole career, even living for 6 years in a muslim village in Africa. We are heartbroken at the absolute lawlessness of this nation.

Thank you for all your verses. I want to share one that my daughter recently wrote for me.

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. (KJV Isaiah 26:3)

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 11:20:36 AM »
"My question to the group is: Has keeping and finding friends been a particular struggle for you especially in the past few years of this covid deception, and what are you doing about it?"

This has been a struggle for me, but the Lord has been helping me to be more bold in the way I deal with friends who are not believers. I have been sharing, pointing our errors and backing up what I say with scriptures. I need more practice, but the Lord has been helping me.

I am not sure if that is what you were asking for sure, but that has been my experience.
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 12:23:24 PM »
Thank you Tanya. Yes, any example like that is an encouragement to my wife and me.  It's helpful to know others are facing a similar struggle, so we can help each other. And you give a good reminder that this is a way our Father can grow me by getting me a bit more out of my 'comfort zone' and being bolder, and being willing to gain new friends while losing some friends who don't want to discuss or follow Truth. Godspeed!

heathertaylor

• Born Again Christians
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Heather
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 02:36:49 PM »
I'm a friendly person and try to live peaceably with all men as much as possible but outside of the church, I have no friends. And it can be lonely but I'm also thankful that I'm not calling those who hate God, friends. And I'm thankful God has led me to the church and that God opens my eyes to those who try to say that I'm their friend and God helps me to address to them that unless they have been given repentance (i.e godly sorrow) toward God then I'm not in friendship with them. Maybe I'm harsh for this but I can't stand the leaven and the unrepentant trying to Ride the coat tails of the repentant to heaven is sickening and its leading them to believe they are of Christ which is uncharitable
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 02:38:59 PM by heathertaylor »
2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 10:36:47 PM »

Over the past several years I've met very few Christians, mostly just those in this group.  I have no problem with being friendly with coworkers, customers and neighbors, but for someone to be a personal friend, like-mindedness is a must. How can you have fellowship with someone who enjoys things that the Lord hates? Or with a person who rejects scripture in favor of their own feelings or traditions?

Though I've lost many people over the last couple of years it has been a continuing trend over the last decade or so.  Once I realized that I needed to judge the people around by the miraculous Book I held in my hands my decisions became simple, though often grievous.
Loneliness isn't something to be taken lightly, but we do have to take it.

What do I do about? I make the most of the opportunities to spend time with my Brothers and Sisters, though it is seldom in person.  Because God is good I have been able to meet a handful of those in this group in person from time to time.  I also pray that the Lord will bless me with more of what I certainly don't deserve.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
    • Isaiah 42:12 Blog
  • First Name: Rowan
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 09:24:05 AM »
A thought that I've had on loneliness is that when you are around someone who is not of like mind and spirit, it can sometimes be more lonely than being completely by yourself. Even when you hang out with a few old friends that you might have got on with once, there's no fellowship there anymore (though there might still be some degree of cordiality). You're no longer on the same team as they are. So although it is sad to lose those old friendships, staying in them will ultimately make you miserable when you're no longer of the same mind and spirit as them. However, God is able to provide us with the friends and fellowship that we need, and when He does, it sure is sweet!
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17)

heathertaylor

• Born Again Christians
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Heather
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 04:50:26 PM »
Rowan. That's true.  It's extra lonely when you're around lost people who talk about worldly things and have no love of the truth
2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2022, 05:19:16 PM »
A thought that I've had on loneliness is that when you are around someone who is not of like mind and spirit, it can sometimes be more lonely than being completely by yourself. Even when you hang out with a few old friends that you might have got on with once, there's no fellowship there anymore (though there might still be some degree of cordiality). You're no longer on the same team as they are. So although it is sad to lose those old friendships, staying in them will ultimately make you miserable when you're no longer of the same mind and spirit as them. However, God is able to provide us with the friends and fellowship that we need, and when He does, it sure is sweet!

Yes, I find that to be true too.  For me at the moment I never see a single person from one month to the next but I'm not lonely. Even the supermarket for ages now gets the Police involved and trespasses for two years anyone who isn't wearing a mask and so I get the groceries delivered once a month and see someone with a mask on who never talks.  The few people I do keep up with by email I can only consider as acquaintances because in the big picture in life we are not on the same page and they would rather that I didn't bring up my "Christian stuff" all the time. It's way more enjoyable being alone than around non-Christians.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Brian

• Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2022, 07:10:27 PM »
Thank you so much to all of you for sharing your situations.  We are not alone! I am glad God has blessed you with this group.   :)

Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. (Holy Bible Deuteronomy 31:6)

Under Duress

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: -8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Scott
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 07:42:21 PM »
This topic hits home here too.  I've been losing "friends" and acquaintances for speaking the truth,  since I became born again. However,  once CONVID19 rolled out,  I found a couple of friends,  were not really friends.  And it's become difficult without any actual biblical fellowship in real life.
It's also one of the reasons I joined here.  It does look like there are genuine saints of God here that have the testimony of the Lord Jesus Christ. 

I think Christopher hit the nail on the head when he said that covid just revealed where they were.

I've heard it said that by the time you live a full life you can look back and count your friends on one hand.  I think that's true for the most part. 

The closer we get to the end,  the more we will be hated by those that hate the truth...or "have not a love for the truth. " The reason that we will be enemies of the state and enemies of the state's servants,  is because we do not keep silent.

I tell people to their face "I would rather you hate me now and love me in the day of judgment,  than to love me now and hate me in judgment. "

It's not our job to convince people of the truth.  It's our job to declare it. 

There are some encounters I have where people hear the truth and I've found that is usually "in person" much more than it is online. 
It's usually futile to try to discuss facts and critical analysis with someone that is enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance