Author Topic: Question about Prayer  (Read 295 times)

Dan7

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: -49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Daniel
  • Belief: Christian
Question about Prayer
« on: February 10, 2023, 02:05:32 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was reading the article "The Biblical Understanding of Prayer", and I came across John 14:13-14. I know that many people have faulty interpretations of these verses, and I want to confirm that I'm understanding the content of these verses correctly.

When the verse states "that the Father may be glorified in the Son", does it mean that God will grant a request *only* when he wants to grant it (i.e. he sees that it will glorify him)?

Thanks

"Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord... I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord." -Jeremiah 23:1,2

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
  • Edification: 71
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Question about Prayer
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 11:45:26 PM »
From my experience, yes, it's about what will not only glorify God but what will show a charitable spirit to others. Praying that someone might be saved is a glory to God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Praying out of a genuine desire to see someone else's needs filled is a glory to God's law in the new dispensation, that of charity. Also don't forget that if you have the means or the time to help someone out, then go for it :)

Asking for something to happen by unbiblical means though is where He will most likely say "no", like asking for a lottery win or wishing harm on someone like the death of a dictator or something like that...even the worst of the worst, we should still pray that they are humbled and their eyes are opened to their sin and they repent.
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

OsoWeakbutHeIsStrong

• CLE Church Members
  • Edification: 54
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Annalisa
  • Belief: Other
Re: Question about Prayer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 04:50:17 PM »
Hi Dan.

All things are done for the glory of God.  Everything we do, say, think, pray and the way we live our lives, are to bring glory to God.  When we pray, God knows our hearts and so if we're praying with the wrong motivation (self seeking, in a way that would bring glory to us, for worldly things...just anything that would not bring glory to God) then those prayers will not be answered.

Also this will help us to know how to pray and what prayers WILL be answered.  All the ones that bring Glory to His name.  So it gives us hope when we pray for a long time and the prays are not yet being answered, we are encouraged to keep praying and trusting that these prayers WILL be answered in His perfect timing.

As far as I can see, your interpretation is correct.