Author Topic: KJV or AKJV  (Read 592 times)

Dan7

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: -49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Daniel
  • Belief: Christian
KJV or AKJV
« on: February 14, 2023, 11:47:48 AM »
Hello everyone,

The Bible Gateway website offers two different King James translations: the KJV (King James Version) and the AKJV (Authorized King James Version). Is there any difference between the two?

Thanks
"Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord... I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord." -Jeremiah 23:1,2

OsoWeakbutHeIsStrong

• CLE Church Members
  • Edification: 54
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Annalisa
  • Belief: Other
Re: KJV or AKJV
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 03:57:34 PM »
Hi Dan,

This is what I found online:

The American King James Version seems to be a fairly new revision of the King James to update the spelling and vocabulary of the KJV to match modern usage and remove archaisms. In that sense, it's similar to the more popular NKJV (New King James Version). The AKJV looks to be the hobby project of a single person of unknown qualifications, so it's reliability is questionable.

Dan7

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 04:07:59 PM »
Hello Annalisa,

Thanks for your response. I'm talking about the Authorized King James Version and the King James Version, not the American one.

The Bible Gateway lists these as two individual options. I read online that they are the same thing (i.e. the Authorized KJV and the KJV are the same), so I'm wondering why the Bible Gateway would list them as individual options.

I was thinking that the Authorized KJV on the Bible Gateway would list the apocryphal books and hence be the 1611 version of the KJV, but that is not the case, as both the Authorized KJV and the KJV on the Bible Gateway do not include the apocryphal books. Do you happen to know the difference between the Authorized KJV and the KJV on the Bible Gateway? They seem like the same thing, so why the different options?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 04:10:04 PM by Dan7 »
"Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord... I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord." -Jeremiah 23:1,2

Ellie

• Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Elissa
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 04:52:45 PM »
Have you tried to look into it yourself Dan? Annalisa didn't know either so she looked it up online, which you could easily do yourself as well. I'm not trying to be rude, it's just that you have tools at your disposal that you could try using before you ask other people who, in order to answer you, are doing the work you could have easily done.

People have given you answers on things which is fine, but when there are things that you could look into yourself like this, it sorta just seems like you're using us as a personal Google search engine for some reason. Annalisa was kind in trying to find an answer for you, but she clearly had to look it up to give an answer so you continuing to ask her questions about it is essentially asking her to continue doing the work for you since she didn't know either, when all you have to do is look it up yourself just like she did.
"Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better." (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

Dan7

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 11:42:02 PM »
Quick note: I would appreciate it if I do not get banned over this. It is my desire to continue to participate in this forum, and I apologize for any wrongdoing. I hope you do not take my post as an offense, as it is simply a clarification.

Hello Elissa,

I did search for my question before posting it on the forum.

There are those who state that the AKJV is the "Cambridge" version and the KJV is the "Oxford" version, that the AKJV is the 1611 text, and that the AKJV and the KJV are the same. My personal Bible uses KJV and AKJV interchangeably. Who is correct?

One website claimed that "The KJV (King James Version) is a more modernized version done in 1987", while another claimed that "KJV tends to refer to either the 1769 Blayney edition or (more frequently) the 1873 Scrivener edition (also called the Cambridge Paragraph Bible)."

See what I mean? A google search is of no help. It was never my intention to use the forum as my personal search engine.

A google search did not fully help me, and that is why I am confused about the matter.

Elissa, now that I have hopefully provided proof that google is not helpful on this matter, do you see why I asked such a question on the forum?

I also thanked Annalisa for her response and notified her that I was not asking about the American KJV, but the Authorized KJV. My question, "Do you happen to know the difference between the Authorized KJV and the KJV on the Bible Gateway", was posed for the following reason: to clarify my question to Annalisa and anyone else who may happen to think that I am asking about the American KJV.

I posted my question on the forum because google did not help me, and was wondering what the difference is.

Here is a summary of the points I just made:

1) I did look it up on google beforehand, but google provided me contradictory responses on the matter.

2) I asked my question on the forum because google provides contradictory answers on this matter.

3) Annalisa responded to me, and I thanked her for her response and kindness.

4) I clarified my question once more for both Annalisa and anyone else who may answer my question.

Elissa, now that I summarized the fact that I am not using this forum as my "personal google", can you tell me what you think of my intention of posting this on the forum? Was my post justified?

If not, I sincerely apologize for my wrongdoing.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 11:59:51 PM by Dan7 »

Dan7

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 11:46:33 PM »
Hello Annalisa and Elissa,

I hope my response clarifies the fact that it was never my intention to use/take advantage of you or the forum as my personal search engine.

By the way, Elissa, if you would want me to justify why I recently asked questions on prayer, apricot seeds, evangelism, and Israel, I'll be more than happy to do it. I assure you that I did not use this forum as my personal search engine for those questions either, and I can clarify my reasoning and intention for asking those questions if you'd like. Just let me know.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 11:57:51 PM by Dan7 »

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
  • Edification: 71
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 02:33:34 AM »
As far as I know, the King James Bible and The Authorised Version are just two names for the same bible. Do a quick search of verses that are normally missing from the new age versions, or have been altered, normally that's an easy way to tell.

When in doubt, pray for discernment, but generally the new age and apostate versions can't hide very well when closely examined.
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

Dan7

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 10:22:16 AM »
I'm leaning toward the same thing. So far, I haven't noticed a large difference other than paragraph spacing. In any case, I'll just continue using the KJV.

TerenceG

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 10:03:11 PM »
Hi there,

The Authorised part generally means King James authorized it. However, one mistake people make is the modern KJV (1769) is only a revision of the 1611. Yes it updates spelling etc but does make many other changes. There is a series of videos called Lamp in the Dark produced by John Doerr who has studied every word in the 1611 and compared it to the 1769 (Blaynesy KJV). He also does a series of videos with a gentleman and author called Reg Block. I have read all of his books on this subject, listened to all videos from both men and read the 1611 from cover to cover and compared the differences firsthand using the resources provided by Reg Block.
https://app.thebookpatch.com/BookStoreResults?search=reginald%20jacob%20block&ddl=any

These changes significantly affect some doctrine which is why I strictly us e the Authorised version as the 1769 revision was not authorised. For me it is easy peasy because I used the corrupt modern bibles.  These men only point out the obvious. The changes are in black and white and undeniable because you can open one side by side with the other and use your eyes to see the changes.

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Caleb
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 10:09:17 PM »
Hello Terence,
This is Caleb and I need to remind you because you need first to complete your introduction before you can post anything else:
All New Members (READ THIS FIRST!)
https://www.creationliberty.com/forum/index.php?topic=20.0

I am not saying you cannot discuss these topics but you need to obey forum rules. You have 48 hours to create an introductory post. Just do this:
Please don't just say "Hello." This forum is not an impersonal social media site. Keep in mind that we do not know who you are, and so writing a bit about yourself, your beliefs, how you found this site, why you joined, (if you claim to be a Christian, include the testimony of your conversion and salvation unto Christ), etc; all those types of details will help us get to know you a bit better, and we hope you enjoy conversing with born again Christians here.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 10:13:47 PM by Zoologistkid »
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26 Who can say that man is an animal?