Author Topic: Science in the Bible: Astronomy  (Read 229 times)

Dan7

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: -49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Daniel
  • Belief: Christian
Science in the Bible: Astronomy
« on: February 24, 2023, 01:43:27 PM »
Hello everyone, here is one of my favorite instances of scientific foreknowledge in the Bible:

In Job 38:31, God mentions the Pleiades and Orion star clusters.

It's a scientific fact that "the Pleiades star cluster is gravitationally bound, while the Orion star cluster is loose and disintegrating because the gravity of the cluster is not enough to bind the group together."

Well, let's see what the Bible (i.e. God) states regarding the Pleiades and Orion star clusters.

Job 38:31: "Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?"

Keep in mind that "sweet influence" is not a social description in this context, but a scientific one. 

God clearly stated this scientific fact 4,000 years ago, the fact that the Pleiades star cluster is bound by gravity, and the fact that the Orion star cluster is loosening up.

Job 38:31 is proof that

1) the Bible contains scientific facts

2) the Bible predicts scientific facts

3) the God of the Bible exists

4) God created the universe (proven by the fact that he controls the Pleiades and Orion star clusters and knew about their gravitational forces before any man could have 4,000 years ago)

I would appreciate any thoughts/feedback on this.

Note: Here is a supposed refutation I found online from an atheistic perspective: https://academicatheism.tumblr.com/post/15018401886/not-so-scientific-facts-36 However, I believe that this article uses a strawman argument when comparing Biblical astronomy to Babylonian astronomy. They also claim that the Pleiades star cluster isn't bound by gravity, which is false, and skyandtelescope.org correctly states that "the stars of the Pleiades are gravitationally bound". This isn't a valid refutation in my book  ;)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 02:00:41 PM by Dan7 »
"Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord... I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord." -Jeremiah 23:1,2