Author Topic: A Time In The Wilderness  (Read 629 times)

OsoWeakbutHeIsStrong

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 54
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Annalisa
  • Belief: Other
A Time In The Wilderness
« on: March 02, 2023, 04:33:00 PM »
Just so you all know, I can be a little slow sometimes when it comes to "getting it".  I don't know why I never saw this before.

And they sinned yet more against him by provoking the most High in the wilderness. And they tempted God in their heart by asking meat for their lust.Psalm 78:17-18

When the Israelites were in the wilderness God was providing for them already.  They had everything that they needed, but it wasn't enough for them.  They asked for meat and complained about all the things that they had in Egypt; never thinking about the promised land where they would have milk and honey and all the good stuff. 

I looked at my own life and how I have complained and been unsatisfied with what I have at times.  (Especially as a baby Christian) when I should have been looking forward to the Promised Land which is Heaven!  I don't know why that just hit me so hard. Their time in the wilderness is a picture of our time here on earth!   Why am I just getting that now?

I should never complain!  I don't want to provoke God.  He makes sure that I have what I need. (Plus, God makes it clear that He hates murmering and complaining).  Instead, I should always be looking to the Promised Land that is soon to come.  This world is not my home; just as the wilderness was not their home.  While I'm here I just need to trust God that I will get exactly what I need and not seek to make my life more comfortable here.

I just had to sit down and right this because it's always a blessing and I'm filled with the joy of the Lord when He gives me ANY understanding.  It's something probably everyone already knows and gets, but I'm just happy to get a better grasp of how God wants me to live. 

OsoWeakbutHeIsStrong

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
Re: A Time In The Wilderness
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 05:53:57 PM »
My mind is getting blown right now.  I was just praying and thanking God for that understanding, and I just realized that I need to not look back to Egypt! Which is a picture of my own life of sin!  (mind blown)  and just continue on (trusting and being content), by the grace of God, until I reach that Promised Land!

Not that I do look back longing for that life of sin, but it's just a picture of what God expects from me. I actually look back in disgust and the thought of my old life makes me groan audibly at times. 

(Side note) This is something that, when it would happen, I was told that it was from the devil who likes to remind me because he's trying to steal my joy and that when that happens, I should thank God for my salvation.  I want to thank Ellie for showing me the verse Isaiah 51:1

Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged.
Isaiah 51:1

Now I have a question?  Is "the pit whence [they] are digged" refering to Egypt?

I also wanted to mention, that in the post above, I wrote:
Just so you all know, I can be a little slow sometimes when it comes to "getting it"

While that statement may be true in some cases (LOL!) it does not appy in this case because it has nothing to do with me.  GOD is the one who gives me understanding when HE is ready to do so, and when I'm ready for it, so I just wanted to make it known that He also just reminded me of that.

Like I said, I feel incredibly blessed for ANY amount of understanding.  When anything clicks, it's ALL because God makes it click for me.  Glory to Him!!

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
  • Edification: 71
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 07:59:24 PM »
I think we've all been there, but the difference is, 1. most of Israel didn't learn from it, and 2. it can be hard to see what's being provided for us until it's not there anymore. So many people in the world are like that though "It's amazing how you can do without the necessities in life provided you have the little luxuries" was the way one person put it, and a lot of people subscribe to that way of thinking so easily.

Another major thing you need to consider with the journey to the promise land is the generation that was doing all this SAW the judgement of God on evil in Egypt with the 10 plagues, they were led by a whirlwind during the day and a pillar of fire by  night in the desert, they not only saw Moses parting the Red Sea but they walked through it, and saw Pharaoh's army destroyed when the water rift closed on top of them, they were fed by bread that literally fell from  heaven, they were given water from a rock and their hearts were still not with God after everything they were shown.

Also poses another interesting point, miracles don't make believers out of everyone, so whenever an anti-thiest says "Show us proof, then we'll believe," no they won't, they'll come up with any excuse not to believe because they don't want to admit that they're not the top of the food chain.

Don't forget too that God promised he would provide all our needs, too many people think that translates to "Oh, great! God is going to give me everything I want." no. As a parent provides food, shelter, clothing and hopefully good direction when growing up for a child, a good parent does not give the child everything they ask for when they ask for it, otherwise it makes someone unappreciative and greedy. I did learn a while back that if you really want to see God actively give you things in life, find something you can do that serves him, and ask for a way to do it, and he will provide you either understanding to use the skills you have to do it, a way to get the tools/knowledge to do it, or bring you to a place where you can do it.

Lastly, don't dwell too much on how much you did lack understanding, first off Understanding is given by God, without his say so, we have nothing. Finally as new children of the kingdom, we aren't expected to know everything, but we are expected to want to learn and grow, again, using man as an analogy, when you're 5 years old, you're not expected to know advanced physics or how to put together a Mercedes Benz from scratch, it's something you learn over time, but if you're 40 years old and still have the attitude and temperament of a 5 year old for no good reason, then often time you will be looked down on as foolish, selfish and annoying.

It doesn't matter if you're "slow", you're going further than someone who isn't trying or has no interest in trying at all. :)
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 01:14:59 AM »

Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged.
Isaiah 51:1

Now I have a question?  Is "the pit whence [they] are digged" refering to Egypt?

It would seem to be more correct that the pit is the fire of Hell.

Isaiah 14 King James Version
12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;

17 That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

In Isaiah 51:1 God was only referring to those who follow after righteousness, and those that seek the LORD that were digged out of the pit.  The rest of the people had their place in the pit, the fire of Hell.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Rowan M.

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
    • Isaiah 42:12 Blog
  • First Name: Rowan
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 01:23:11 AM »
Thank you for these edifying posts, Annalisa. It certainly is exciting when the Holy Spirit gives us new understanding about some aspect or other of His Word as we study it.

In answer to your question about "the pit", I believe that's referring to Hell (as indeed Kevin has just said in his post). Many times when you see the phrase, "the pit", Hell is meant (unless the context makes it clear that an actual pit is meant, such as the pit that Joseph's brothers threw him into). When we're lost, we're on our way to "the pit" - i.e. Hell. But when we're saved, then we're no longer bound for Hell.

One thing that struck me last time I read this verse is that we are dug out of "the pit" (by what Christ did). We don't dig ourselves out (which would be salvation by works). I suppose "the pit" could in some ways also represent our old life, which we were stuck in until Jesus saved us. As for Egypt, I generally understand that to represent the world. The reason why many of the Israelites wanted to go back to Egypt is because they loved the world and not God, despite everything He had done for them.
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17)

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 02:56:18 AM »
As for Egypt, I generally understand that to represent the world. The reason why many of the Israelites wanted to go back to Egypt is because they loved the world and not God, despite everything He had done for them.

In Revelation God also refers to Jerusalem as being Sodom and Egypt in the time when the two witnesses are put to death by the Beast ....  for three and a half days.

Revelation 11 King James Version
3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.

6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 08:25:15 AM »
Why am I just getting that now?
I can only speak generally on this, but, sometimes our understanding is unlocked by the Holy Ghost when we sanctify ourselves from worldly things.
The more we are sanctified the more he helps to understand his word.
I see it as a reward for doing what pleases him.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 01:44:41 PM »
I can only speak generally on this, but, sometimes our understanding is unlocked by the Holy Ghost when we sanctify ourselves from worldly things.
That is true. I can testify to that happening to me as well.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Dan7

• BANNED
  • Edification: -49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Daniel
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 05:21:13 PM »
That is true. I can testify to that happening to me as well.

I have felt the same way recently (and I know it's true because God "closes" the minds of those who reject his word or have no interest in it). For example, I would have never thought of applying Genesis 1 to my own life until a few days ago when I started reading the Bible from the beginning and sanctified myself from delving deep into worldly topics (anything unrelated to the Bible/Christianity such as politics) as I had done all of my life. I'll never see Genesis 1 as just the history of the universe again (although it absolutely is), but also as the history of my born-again life as well. And I'll be honest, I've never fully felt comfortable with applying Bible passages to my personal life as I haven't agreed with alternative interpretations in the Bible (such as mythical), but I've recently noticed the difference between interpretation and application.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 05:27:49 PM by Dan7 »
"Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord... I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord." -Jeremiah 23:1,2

OsoWeakbutHeIsStrong

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 11:33:34 PM »
Thank you so much for all your added insight. 

Aussie Chris:

find something you can do that serves him, and ask for a way to do it, and he will provide you either understanding to use the skills you have to do it, a way to get the tools/knowledge to do it, or bring you to a place where you can do it.

God knows that this is something I have been asking for, so perhaps I'm getting to a place where He's going to answer that prayer for me and this new insight is some understanding that will help me as I go out and do His will/spread His word.

To Kevin:

It would seem to be more correct that the pit is the fire of Hell.

In Isaiah 51:1 God was only referring to those who follow after righteousness, and those that seek the LORD that were digged out of the pit.  The rest of the people had their place in the pit, the fire of Hell.

Okay, so I was looking at the pit as a life of sin, but now I see it.  Jesus is "the Rock from whence ye are hewn" and the pit is the fire of Hell "whence ye are digged" and that makes more sense. Got it!

Rowan:

I suppose "the pit" could in some ways also represent our old life, which we were stuck in until Jesus saved us.

That's how I was seeing it, but I guess it's kind of the same because in our old life we we're condemned to hell already.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
John 3:18

As for Egypt, I generally understand that to represent the world. The reason why many of the Israelites wanted to go back to Egypt is because they loved the world and not God, despite everything He had done for them.

Okay, that makes sense too.

Kenneth:

You just opened up a can of worms for me.  It looks like I need to do a study on sanctification. I'm sure Chris must have a teaching on it. 

Praise God! This is all I want to do.

OsoWeakbutHeIsStrong

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 01:51:17 PM »
I just wanted to add that I happened to be reading Proverbs Chapter 3 yesterday and I was able to see the truth of this passage as God was giving me more understanding:

13Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

14For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.

15She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.

16Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.

17Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.

18She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.
Proverbs 3:13-18

What a blessing it is to receive anything from God.  He truly does know how to give good gifts.