Author Topic: Thomas Nelson KJV- any problems?  (Read 479 times)

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Travis
  • Belief: Christian
Thomas Nelson KJV- any problems?
« on: October 17, 2023, 07:20:49 PM »
Hello all. Would you please help me with the following issue? I was reading the article "Hell is Real and Many People Are Going There", and came across this passage:

"The reason new-age bible versions change these words [in scripture] is not only because they want to use fancier foreign terms so they can sound really smart, but mainly because they need to change a certain percentage of words in the Bible so they can claim a copyright on it. Without the copyright, they cannot make any money from it, and so these con artists (who pride themselves to be "scholars") are more interested in turning a profit than they are interested in teaching the truth, and they would rather people end up in hell, so long as they can get their filthy lucre (i.e. money)."

This rang a small bell in my head, and so I checked on the inside cover of my KJV, and sure enough, there is a copyright mark. It is written: KJV Economy Bible, Copyright 2016 by Thomas Nelson. So, I then got to looking a bit into Thomas Nelson publishing, and found that they publish all sorts of new-age bibles, which is worrisome. What I am specifically concerned about is this scripture quote which follows the above passage:

Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.
-Titus 1:11

I researched for any changes that Thomas Nelson may have made to the Word, but I didn't turn up anything. I then re-read a section I had found suspicious at the back of the book titled "Getting to Know God". The following is from this section:

When you recognize your sinful condition and accept by faith Jesus' death as payment, you receive his life, which is eternal. Receiving this free gift of salvation is as simple as saying, "Jesus, I acknowledge my sin and your payment for it on the cross. I now ask you to forgive me and I willingly give my life to you." At that very moment, he will come into your innermost being throught the power of his Holy Spirit and start you on a wonderful journey toward intimacy and eternal life with God.

It then goes on to suggest a 'path of salvation' approach to a Godly life. Nowhere in this entire commentary is mentioned the need for repentance, contrition, or fear and love of God.

Has Thomas Nelson changed anything in the scriptures to warrant their copyright claim? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
Re: Thomas Nelson KJV- any problems?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 08:21:51 AM »
What is copyrighted is the unnecessary junk Thomas Nelson has put into their King James Bibles. The text of scripture is not copyrighted. If they have actually changed God's words, I don't know. And if they have, whoa into them.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 08:49:53 PM »

When you recognize your sinful condition and accept by faith Jesus' death as payment, you receive his life, which is eternal. Receiving this free gift of salvation is as simple as saying, "Jesus, I acknowledge my sin and your payment for it on the cross. I now ask you to forgive me and I willingly give my life to you." At that very moment, he will come into your innermost being throught the power of his Holy Spirit and start you on a wonderful journey toward intimacy and eternal life with God.

this is an example of what the copy right is for. like all the foot notes and so on. from gen to rev it is free domain and cant be copy wright

someguy85

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 71
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 12:03:38 PM »
Also if someone can hold a copyright on the text, it means someone gets more of a royalty cheque whenever one is sold.
Romans: {11:3} Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. {11:4} But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

Woodpot

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 8
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Travis
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 02:38:44 AM »
Ok! Thanks you guys for helping out with that.
In addition, I'd like to thank you for allowing me the time to sort out my issues regarding salvation before engaging more heavily with you all. I am taking the advice to read a single gospel, then through the rest of the NT, then another gospel before starting in on the OT.