Author Topic: and few there be that find it.  (Read 2193 times)

Hakim Mohamad

and few there be that find it.
« on: July 15, 2018, 02:34:05 AM »
Matthew 7:13-14 King James Version (KJV)
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I have always been wondering, what the last part of verse 14 actually meant. Or in other words: how few are few? To some people one in ten might be few. To others one in a thousand might still be a Lot.
In the other thread  in the "introduce yourself" section Jeanne stated that in most of the US there are probably not enough true Christians in one area to build up a small true local church "that at least tries to be biblical". I guess that would definitely be very few.
I have never been to the US, but I know what people are like in general. There are always some people who Love the truth and who genuinely seek it. No matter where you go.
A lot of them probably are still in the dark because they haven't consider the Bible yet.
And of course there are some places (i.e. churchbuildings or religious groups) that simply attract those people who don't care and who Just want to have their ears tickled in willful ignorance. But even there could be those who simply haven't seen anything else yet and who Just need a good shake to wake Up.
I want to give you another parable from the Bible and want to ask you, If that applies to the church or to the world, or maybe both.

Matthew 13:24-30 King James Version (KJV)
24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:

25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.

26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.

27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?

28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

I mean there are certain behaviors that we are commanded not to tolerante in the midst of us. Especially If someone continuously keeps on teaching error, he has to be removed from the congregation in order to protect the others.
But what about people who simply lack understanding and who are not teaching?
As I see it, there has to be a line drawn somewhere and I have not yet quite figured it out.

Ruth

Re: and few there be that find it.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 03:53:21 AM »
Hi Hakim,

Jesus explains the parable of the tares to his disciples starting at Mat 13:37.

As for that line, I don't have the wisdom to answer that. I believe repentance would be something to consider.

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 05:36:27 AM »
Have you read Chris' article on False Converts? He explains a lot of that there:

http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/falseconverts.php

That being said, there's no way for us to know exactly how many or what percentage of people will/will not be saved. Only God knows that.

In 1 Kings 19, Elijah thought that he was the only one in all of Israel who still served the Lord. He was afraid after he had slain the 450 prophets of Baal when Jezebel threatened his life, too. I don't know what the population of Israel was at that time, but God told Elijah that He had reserved unto Himself seven thousand men who had not bowed down to Baal or worshipped him. To me, that sounds like a very small number compared to what the entire population would have been. I think we might be quite surprised to find out how few true Christians there really have been, since Satan has gotten such a foothold in the church and gained control of all the seminaries.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 08:53:38 AM »
There may have been hundreds of thousands of Jews at that time; I have no idea either, but that's what Paul was referring to:
God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
-Romans 11:2-6
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Masha

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 12:38:54 PM »
In my view it is not really so much about knowing an exact number of people, but in the context the point would be that there are a lot MORE people on the broad way leading to destruction, than the ones on the narrow path leading to life. Meaning that when you are born again, you should expect to be in minority even in the so called Christian world, and that is exactly what Ive experienced in the world.