Author Topic: Keeping Sabbath in America is impossible!  (Read 5792 times)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
  • Belief: Christian
Keeping Sabbath in America is impossible!
« on: August 06, 2018, 11:26:51 AM »
 From time to time, as I am preaching on the street, people will come up and ask me if I keep Sabbath.
They usually turn out to simply be a mocker or they are in a religious cult like the Seventh-Day Adventists.
My initial response is quoting scripture that shows that the Sabbath is specifically for the OT nation of Israel.
If that doesn't satisfy them, and it never seems to, I simply tell them that it is impossible to keep Sabbath except on a national level. If you turn on a light bulb or flush a toilet you're causing your "servant" to work. Just by being American citizen of the police, and many others, are working on your behalf 24/7.

Does anyone see any flaw in my line of thinking here?

The reason I am asking is because I have never heard anyone else present the argument this way.

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: Keeping Sabbath in America is impossible!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 12:09:21 PM »
I need to remind myself to go look up more of your videos. I forgot to mention to you that I like you better than the "TeamJesus" guys because you stick to the KJB. :)

If you like to keep the answer short, you can always say, "Yes." The reason for this is because Christ is our Sabbath. If we keep His commandments close to our hearts, then yes, we do keep the Sabbath.

If you think that might confuse people, you can always ask them, "What does it mean to keep the Sabbath?"
Whatever their answer, you can ask them if they think that's a requirement to enter the Kingdom of God. That leads straight into exposing their works-based doctrine which is the entire philosophy behind their deceptive question.

As I've said before, I don't do the same type of work you're doing, and again, I commend you for your preaching on the street. Thus, my advice is worthless compared to your experience. I pray that our Lord Jesus Christ continues to bless you and make you stronger in your work, and please let our church know if you lack in anything your family needs and we can help.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 12:37:40 PM »
Chris,
Those are good ideas.
Questioning the questioner is often effective in either getting to the heart the question, :D , or exposing the mocker for who he is.
Trust me, brother, even though there are different venues for preaching the answers ought to, none-the-less, all be rooted in scripture.

I'd appreciate it if you did take the time to watch some of my preaching. Getting feed back from Bible believers is part of the reason why I post the videos.
However, please remember, I preach only with a Bible in my hand.  No notes or script.  I say that because sometimes, to my chagrin, something will come out of my mouth that isn't in my heart nor, most importantly, in the scripture.

Blessings,
Kenneth
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 01:16:11 PM »
That's why I try to be gentle in how I handle any analysis of what you're doing. I get the advantage of having all my notes right in front of me. In the same position as you, I'm sure I would mess up much more often.

It might be a good idea to make sure your youtube channel is on your profile on this forum, so people can find it easier.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:46:11 PM »
Okay, I believe I added a link in my profile to my YouTube channel.
 :D

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 06:34:58 PM »
A nether thing you can do to answer the Sabbath question is give them a science fact. The earth is slowing its rotation every year. We have leap seconds like we have leap years. Take the seconds we lost every year times that by how many years it has been since God gave the 10 commandments. Then convert that into hours. This will show them that they don't even start the Sabbath at the right time.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 12:55:54 AM »
????

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 01:55:58 AM »
Billy, according to the law, the Sabbath starts at sundown. It doesn't matter what time that actually is; the clock has nothing to do with it. The only clocks they had back then were sundials which could not be divided into seconds anyway.

Benjamin

• Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality Begins
  • First Name: Benjamin
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 04:13:42 PM »
I was looking over your video about July 3rd. Already someone complaining about you judging people. Complaining about that is complete hypocrisy because people sure love nice judgments.
Psalm 50:21 KJV 21These things hast thou done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before thine eyes.

Christopher_Belflower

• Edification: -2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 11:55:39 AM »
Hey Kenneth,

I was reminded of the article I recently shared regarding Good Friday. In the article I wrote,
"Can something be more Holy than Holy?
ie. Is 'Holy week' more Holy than the week prior? Or the week after?"

It was rhetorical because the answer is of course - No.

The same principle can be applied to the Sabbath.
Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

What is the command?
Jesus said "For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day."
A Spirit filled man, has Christ within. It should grieve the Spirit when we are disobedient and live unholy.
The tabernacle is mobile, it's within us. We need no more a building made with hands.
But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; Hebrews 9:11

Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy (1 Peter 1:16)
For those born again in Christ; we are to be holy - always.

The tabernacle of the Lord is our body; the living sacrifice. So then, everyday for the Spirit filled Christian is the sabbath.

Our lives are to be holy in all manner of conversation. For me, there is no difference between a Monday and a Friday, or a Tuesday and a Sunday. I'm thankful everyday for God's mercy and seek that He will provide me with opportunities to glorify Him. Before Christ, I was an alcoholic, but because He Redeemed me, I'm no longer bound by Satan; The wages of sin is death and the sin of drunkenness has lost its sting in my life. Drunkards shall not inherit the Kingdom of God.

All that being said, I wouldn't postpone drinking on the "sabbath day" and wait until the sabbath is passed to drink. I do not drink at all, because I worship Jesus everyday. I seek to glorify God in my walk and in my talk. My fear is hypocrisy, in the sight of my wife and kids, for those that I've shared the truth of God's word to, and most importantly: to Jesus Christ himself.

For do I now persuade men, for God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10

I don't look forward to Friday or Saturdays or Sundays, as the days themselves...they are all the same to me. When I was without Christ, I looked forward to the weekends, because I loved darkness rather than light, because my deeds were evil.

The sabbath day was a shadow, but the body is Christ.
Those seeking to esteem the day as holy, are condemning themselves.
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. James 2:10
...For that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God. Luke 16:15

Hopefully you can use something in there for the people you meet,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:57:50 AM by Christopher_Belflower »
Chris B
For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
Thank you Chris B. Those are some good thoughts about the Sabbath in the life of a Christian. :)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »
Benjamin, you are correct. If you tell these people that they look nice in their outfit they will never scream at you "don't judge me!". Yes, they are hypocrites.
My job is to attempt to help them see and acknowledge their hypocrisy and then show them how much God hates it.

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
Can someone clarify what I think I just read?  We can tell people we keep the sabbath because Christ IS the Sabbath? 
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 07:47:39 PM »
You are right what I said was wrong or had no point on how they keep the Sabbath in old testament. I am thankful to god full filled his promise and free us from the bondage of the law. So ignore what I said earlier

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 07:55:11 PM »
I think I can answer your question I'm not sure but Jesus said come to me and I will give you rest. So in Christ we are given rest and since the Sabbath is a day of rest, in Christ we keep the Sabbath every day no matter what we do

zachshrader

• Born Again Christians
  • Edification: 21
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Zachary
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »
what is your youtube channel Kenneth?  I dont see it on your profile.

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 05:14:49 PM »
It's the globe icon under his name on his posts.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations

zachshrader

• Born Again Christians
  • Edification: 21
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Zachary
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »
Kenneth, Has anyone ever truly just listened and accepted your public preaching?

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 08:54:00 PM »
Kenneth, Has anyone ever truly just listened and accepted your public preaching?

Yes, people often times just stand and listen.  Sometimes for a very long time.
If by "accepted" you mean that people agree with what we are preaching, then yes again.
If you by "accepted" you mean that people stop and have a conversation and then show their appreciation, then yes again.

A recent example is during the Halloween Pub Crawl preaching.

https://youtu.be/KLmedpDZ6xc
At the 48:00 mark you will see a young couple, wearing grey shirts, stop and start listening.

At 57:00 the man starts a conversation with Tim and
the woman comes and gets a gospel tract from me.

In part 2, after we'd moved down a couple of blocks, at 9:38 the man stops me from preaching to tell me, "God bless you".

https://youtu.be/aEu5nej8hOQ

Does that answer your question?