Author Topic: Barabbas  (Read 3368 times)

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christian
Barabbas
« on: June 08, 2018, 08:32:15 AM »
Mark 15 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
6 Now at that feast he released unto them one prisoner, whomsoever they desired. 7 And there was one named Barabbas, which lay bound with them that had made insurrection with him, who had committed murder in the insurrection.

I was having a look at some material online and came across something I had never noticed before.  Barabbas = Bar (son) + Abbas (father) i.e. the son of the father.  More than a coincidence that this is the person who was set free in Jesus' place and Jesus was/is the Son of the Father.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Suelong88

Re: Barabbas
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
That's awesome!

Hakim Mohamad

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 02:06:52 AM »
Barrabas ist definitely an interesting character. The scripture does not tell us what happened to him after he was set free. I wonder if he ever understood what it really meant for him, that Jesus had died in his place.

Jephte21

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:26:54 AM »
That's interesting. I knew that Abbas mean father in Hebrew but Bar mean Son in Aramaic right?

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 04:35:48 AM »
That is correct. 'Bar' is either 'son' or 'son of.'

Christopher_Belflower

• Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: -2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Chris
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 06:24:14 AM »
Matthew 16:17
And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Chris B
For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21

Joop

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joop
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 06:33:36 AM »
Barabbas was the son of the father, the devil. Jesus is the Son of the Father. The Jews chose Barabbas to be released. Compare John 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. This reveals the hearts of the Jews. See also John 18:40 Then cried they all again, saying, Not this man, but Barabbas. Now Barabbas was a robber. And a murderer according to Mark 15:7 And there was one named Barabbas, which lay bound with them that had made insurrection with him, who had committed murder in the insurrection. Note that Jesus came from on high, while Barabbas came from below, the dungeon. Barabbas might well be a type of the antichrist. Cp. Rev. 12:11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. Or, as I see it, antichrist is coming from the earth (from below) and will be fully released in the end time.