Author Topic: Question on Leviticus 17  (Read 2983 times)

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Question on Leviticus 17
« on: February 23, 2018, 07:22:10 AM »
I've read through the book of Leviticus a number of times now and every time I run across this passage, it always raises the same question:

Leviticus 17:3 What man soever there be of the house of Israel, that killeth an ox, or lamb, or goat, in the camp, or that killeth it out of the camp, 4 and bringeth it not unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, to offer an offering unto the Lord before the tabernacle of the Lord; blood shall be imputed unto that man; he hath shed blood; and that man shall be cut off from among his people: 5 to the end that the children of Israel may bring their sacrifices, which they offer in the open field, even that they may bring them unto the Lord, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, unto the priest, and offer them for peace offerings unto the Lord.

Does this mean the people couldn't even kill an animal to eat without making an offering out of it?

Leviticus 3 And if his oblation be a sacrifice of peace offering, if he offer it of the herd; whether it be a male or female, he shall offer it without blemish before the Lord. 2 And he shall lay his hand upon the head of his offering, and kill it at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: and Aaron

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Question on Leviticus 17
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 09:58:32 AM »
Read the next verse:
To the end that the children of Israel may bring their sacrifices, which they offer in the open field, even that they may bring them unto the LORD, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, unto the priest, and offer them for peace offerings unto the LORD.
-Lev 17:5

They would not wait to offer a sacrifice for sin, but do it right in the field, outside of the camp. They were then required to bring that sacrifice to the tabernacle afterwards, because, if you remember, not only does it belong to God, but that sacrifice also was to be given as meat for the Levites, and if it was sacrificed unto God, the meat belonged to them. (i.e. It would be a form of theft if they didn't bring it; meaning they were simply sacrificing it, and keeping the meat for themselves.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:03:42 PM by creationliberty »
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »
Okay, thanks. I really didn't understand that bit. I also don't fully understand the difference between a sin offering and a peace offering. There's a lot in Leviticus I don't fully understand. Some of it is quite confusing.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 12:06:31 PM »
Yeah, I've pointed that out to the Hebrew roots cultists. They say all are required to observe the Sabbath, but they don't follow the law of keeping the Sabbath. They say they don't follow those rules because they no longer do the sacrifices, but then I've asked them, "What about the peace offering?" I've never had one respond to that because they know Christ fulfilled the law in that there is no more sacrifice for sin, but there's no mention of the sacrifice for peace. Of course, we don't do sacrifices at all, but the problem is that they're hypocrites that don't understand the Word.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18