Author Topic: Questions about anxiety and depression  (Read 9110 times)

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Caleb
  • Belief: Christian
Questions about anxiety and depression
« on: November 28, 2018, 03:46:17 PM »
I have a serious matter to deal with, my mom and dad want to get me off the ADHD medicine, I have been taking and get me on an antidepressant/anxiety medicine because of the fact that I have a ruminating mind. I can't control my thoughts and then there is the fact that I get really upset at times like when I am doing homework on math and chemistry. I can get very upset with myself at times like when I found out when I didn't do something I was supposed to do, or when I feel even more stupid because I can't figure out something. Any suggestions on what to do?
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26 Who can say that man is an animal?

TruthKeeper

Re: Questions about anxiety and depression
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »
I will give my two cents here. I had really bad anxiety issues most of my life. Actually I suffered from panic attacks. When I went away to college when I was 18 the symptoms got really out of control. My mother was a nurse and she always thought medicines were the answer. So, she took me to a Dr. and had me put on an antidepressant.  The symptoms got better and more manageable for the next few years until I got married. After a year or two of marriage I needed something more. I went to the Dr. and he put me on a benzodiazepine called Klonopin. Little did I know that there are horrible side effects to both and they are very difficult to get off of. I have literally been through hell the last 5 years trying to get off the Benzodiazepine. I still have to taper off the antidepressant next.  I've had many health issues as a result of these drugs...physical and mental both. I am not an advocate of mental drugs. My son had ADD in school and was put on a drug for about a year and half. He had hallucinations from it and it lasted on and off for months.

Suelong88

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 09:02:18 AM »
My son was on ADHD meds since he was in the first grade.  He stopped cold turkey the day he graduated.  He is doing fine in college this year as a freshman. But I'm letting him figure it out.  He knows that if he doesn't do well in his classes that we will stop paying for them.  He is also working and has been really good at getting there on time.  I work full-time out of the home so he's been doing this all on his own. He doesn't seem to be suffering from depression so I can't speak to that.

2 Timothy 1:7 (AKJV)
7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Masha

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »
I am not an expert. Ive had a whole lot of medical issues but medical mental problems are not very familiar to me personally. I was given anti depressant by a desperate doctor once, because he had no idea what to do with my case:-) ,but i never took them. Nevertheless I have had very dark episodes in my life where depression and anxiety were both part of my issues. It was all when I did not know the Lord.

I believe we have a tendency in this world to solve our ' problems' with pills, that is wicked, because it leaves the cause of the problem unsolved and gives us addiction, side effects and mainly keeps us swallowing pills for life. I am really against that. I hate the pharmaceutical industry that enslaves millions of people.  ( I take medicine everyday so that I can live, but if I had a choice I would eliminate them. My healthissue is not mental.)

I believe depression and anxiety are part of our emotional make -up. We are human being capable of feeling all kinds of emotions, and depression and anxiety are just part of that. Depression, in my experience , is often times a symptom of an underlying problem. F.e. Surpressed anger or grieve. As Christians the cause might be disobedience with God, stubbornness, rebellion, ignorance. Anxiety is nothing different. It also is a symptom of underlying issues, that in a Christians life will mainly have to do with our relationship with God.
I therefor also believe that HEALING is possible through the relationship with God. The Bible clearly says so much about us being able to live without fear and to have joy in tribulation. That is contrary to any diagnosis of depression or anxiety. But I also believe there are many examples in the Bible about people who were depressed or anxious. Like Saul. Or Hannah, or even Elijah. Reading through those verses might help to understand.

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Pro 1:33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.
Num 6:26 The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
There are many more Scriptures on the topic.

It is not as easy as saying one should not feel depressed or anxious, because that would minimalise the problem, I know to some people is real and hurtfull, but it is wise to truly look deeply into the matter and examine one self. TURN TO GOD don't run to doctors.
I hope I do not offend anyone, my point is not to be harsch, but I truly believe the world profits from labeling people into a mental disease/syndrom/disorder because they make money out of it. Things like ADD,  ADHD did not exist untill recently, when they found the drug for it, they invented the issue. And people are victimised through it.
Depression/anxiety are all matters of the heart. God can heal all of that. And give us that peace that passes all understanding.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Isa 61:1  The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 12:56:46 PM »
I have hesitated to say anything on this post.  My own issue has been with anxiety.  But all these issues come down to one: sin.  Repent of the sin in your life, and these issues eventually resolve themselves.

Now, I know that sounds a lot more simplistic than it is, but when you think about it, what is anxiety?  It is worry.  My bible says:

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
  Matthew 6:25-32

What is depression?  It is sadness over. . . one's self!  I am not talking about losing a loved one and being upset over it for a while, or grieving sin, but sadness that is about yourself and yourself only. It is a very selfish way to be.  I am not condemning anyone, mind you.  I have lived very selfishly myself! I definitely cannot point fingers here. I have repented and am working to change this in my life, but it would be very easy to stay in that and let it take over.

There are no easy short cuts.  No pills.  It is hard work and the grief is awful, but the Lord is merciful and will give you a way to get through it.  You will find ways to pay attention to what is going on outside yourself and help others and, in my experience, there is nothing better for anxiety or depression.  Keep in mind, contentment is also part of it.  Anxiety and depression cannot live with contentment.

If I am wrong here, please correct me.  :)

But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 05:09:20 PM »
Tonya, both anxiety and depression run on my mom's side of the family, the reason why they want to put me on that medicine is that I can get very angry at myself at times like when I can't figure out something on homework. I began to berate myself and say things that make them upset, I am trying to stop getting so mad at myself in those situations.
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26 Who can say that man is an animal?

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »
It all sounds good to me. 

I watched a documentary last night about placebos that I had recorded off TV during the week. A quite large group of people with serious pain and health issues were told they were on a study for a new pain relief medication (in fact it was ground up rice powder in a capsule).  Long story short many of the patients made a full recovery and were able to move around like they had only been able to do many years beforehand and were pain free even though before the study they were on medication anyway.  At the end of the study they were told it was a placebo but that didn't seem to matter for them because the results were outstanding. 

Placebos usually do a better job than actual "medication" unless it is some condition that absolutely requires intervention.  The other thing about "medication" is that all "medication" has side effects and their use is apparently finding the balance between the good and bad effects of the chemical compounds.  Placebos don't have chemical side effects and is the body healing itself.

Personally I would stay well away from "medication" unless I was in a life threatening situation.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 05:23:41 PM »
I can get very angry at myself at times like when I can't figure out something on homework. I began to berate myself and say things that make them upset, I am trying to stop getting so mad at myself in those situations.

When studying, that sort of feeling can be normal though.  You might feel that everyone else knows more than you or is better than you but that's not the way it is.  Learning new material can be very hard.  Different people have different levels of intelligence and that is just the way it is.  Be content with what you have and use it wisely (you are already doing that because you are in Christ).  The other thing about people who seem to have high intelligence if they are not humble and caring of others who may not be able to learn a new concept and be patient and kind, then actually because they can't learn and do those things then they are actually the ones of low intelligence. 
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

zachshrader

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 21
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Zachary
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »
Tonya! Well said, I enjoyed reading your reply!  And maybe its just me, but I just can't see depression and anxiety being something thats "passed down" from other family members.  Same with stuff like cancer.  Idk.  What's your diet like?  I'm not saying its good or bad, but I will say theres a reason God made fruits and vegetables and not mcdonalds and roman noodles.  I mean, even GMOs, and non organic food arent any good.  That stuff could easily encourage depression and anxiety.  I had a smart phone for the last 7 years as well and recently I switched to a "dumb phone" (a flip phone) and that has definitely helped with anxiety like feelings.  So now I dont have any social media,  the information of the world is no longer at my finger tips anywhere I go.  Its really nice believe it or not.  But yeah if you have a smart phone maybe sell it.  All that radiation in your pocket. EW! 

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 10:35:53 PM »
I don't have a smartphone and I don't usually have to deal with such depression/anxiety, except for recently because of the studying of those concepts and other incidences. I am angry at myself, not because I envy others, it is just that I get the idea in my head that it is my fault because I thought I wasn't listening or wasn't paying attention at the time. Like I said I have a ruminating mind where once something is in, it is sometimes hard for something to get out and I sound like a broken record at times which I am also trying to stop.

Other times where I have incidences where I get angry at myself is when I do something wicked or look something that is so, like when I said I would reload the dishwasher and I didn't. I became furious with myself, causing my mother to be worried. Then there is the time continuously berate myself when I look up stuff that I am trying to sanctify myself from and my constant failures at times, which makes me even more angry with myself.

Dee Babbitt

• BANNED
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 29
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dee
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 11:24:36 PM »
Zach, you bring up excellent points. 

What's your diet like?  ... theres a reason God made fruits and vegetables and not mcdonalds and roman noodles.  I mean, even GMOs, and non organic food arent any good.  That stuff could easily encourage depression and anxiety. 

This is SO true.  These past two weeks, I have eaten sugar/refined carbs; it is difficult to focus and I actually became more emotional / sad / anxious / irritable.  The foods we choose do affect our anxiety-depression-mood.  It is amazing how foods can have such an affect on our mind and body.  There is research that shows that what we feed our "gut" will affect our "brain."

https://draxe.com/gut-brain-connection/

I googled "foods that can beat depression/elevate our moods."  There is proven scientific evidence that certain foods can benefit our brain/mood.  Here is one of the articles.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/therese-borchard-sanity-break/foods-eat-every-day-beat-depression/

Caleb, perhaps your parents would be willing to try a natural way (organic foods/no sugar) to help your anxiety.
Here are foods to eat when you begin feeling stressed / angry...
https://www.foodmatters.com/article/9-foods-to-keep-you-calm

"1.  CAPSICUM
Why it works: When we’re stressed, our body releases a chemical called cortisol. Capsicum reduces the amount of cortisol in the bloodstream which helps to manage stress, plus it contains vitamin C that boosts immunity.

How to eat it: Chop up some raw sticks to have at your desk at work and munch on them on their own or with a nice hummus when you’re feeling stressed.  The crunchiness will also help to relieve your tense jaw.

2.  COOKED TOMATO
Why it works: Like capsicum, this too helps to reduce your cortisol levels but is also a major source of lycopene; which has been linked to a reduction of depressive symptoms, and helps prevent inflammation and blood clots. Studies have found cooking tomatoes can increase the potency of lycopene, far great than any other fruit or vegetable.

How to eat it: Try adding cooked tomatoes to your breakfast routine or make some delicious tomato soup for lunch or dinner.

3.  SPINACH
Why it works: Spinach, and other dark leafy greens are rich in folate which helps your body produce serotonin and dopamine, regulating your mood. Spinach is also high in magnesium which helps to lower high blood pressure. The body becomes depleted of magnesium when under stress, so getting plenty of magnesium through spinach is a great way to bring your body back to balance.

How to eat it: Add a cup of spinach leaves to your morning smoothie or create a healthy bed of baby spinach leaves to eat with a couple of poached eggs for breakfast.

4.  AVOCADO
Why it works: Avocados contain 20 essential health-boosting nutrients, including potassium, vitamin E, B vitamins, and folate. According to research published in the Nutrition Journal, avocados keep you satiated throughout the day and are helpful for regulating blood sugar levels, which helps to keep your mood steady even in times of stress.

How to eat it: Avocado is so versatile you can add it to almost anything or eat it on its own for a pick-me-up snack. Add avocado to your morning smoothies, chop it up and put it in your salad, whip it up in your blender to make a guacamole dip or even use it in a dessert to curb those sweet cravings!

5.  SALMON
Why it works: Salmon is an excellent source of healthy Omega 3 fatty acids which help regulate your hormones and brighten your mood. Salmon also contains zinc, which is often depleted in the body in times of stress.

How to eat it: Breakfast, lunch or dinner! This delicious protein is great with eggs for breakfast, pan-fried in coconut oil and partnered with a side salad for lunch, or why not try it with a coconut and macadamia crust for an easy but impressive dinner. For a quick and easy bite to eat when you’re busy, have a salmon nori roll to get the added benefit of the seaweed’s vitamins and minerals.

6.  DARK CHOCOLATE
Why it works: With magnesium deficiency linked to anxiety and stress, you don’t have to feel guilty about a few bites of chocolate when you’re stressed. Good quality dark chocolate contains magnesium and zinc to give you a healthy boost.

How to eat it: Have a few pieces of high-quality dark chocolate as a snack when you’re stressed.

7.  WALNUTS
Why it works: Walnuts contain a plant form of Omega- 3 fatty acid that the body converts into docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) to lower norepinephrine, a hormone which can make you feel anxious and irritable.

How to eat it: Add a sprinkling of walnuts to your salad at lunch.

8.  L-TRYPTOPHAN
Why it works: L-tryptophan is an amino acid that your body converts to the ‘happy chemical’ serotonin. Do you get cranky when you’re stressed? Research has shown that people who consume trytophan become significantly more agreeable and less quarrelsome.

How to eat it: Foods rich in L-tryptophan include oats, yogurt, nuts, seeds or organic pasture fed animal products.

9. SESAME SEEDS
Why it works: Stress and anxiety tend to deplete your body of zinc, and our bodies need zinc for both the immune and nervous systems. Sesame seeds hold around 10 mg of zinc per 100 g serving, whether you eat them raw, toasted or ground.

How to eat it: Sesame seeds ground into butter, known as tahini, is delicious with salads or as a dip with a few veggie sticks for a quick and easy snack. Tahini is also a core ingredient for hummus!"

Laura

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 56
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Laura
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 01:12:38 AM »
Caleb,
I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with these issues. You are definitely not alone! I myself have been stressed and battle with anxiety since having my daughter last year, and because of this my psoriasis is the worst it has ever been. It affects my fingers now, which often crack and bleed, making it difficult to do things. I really appreciate what Tonya wrote and need to better examine my life and the sin that is present. I also like what Dee suggested about using food to help heal. Here is another article along those lines. It suggests eliminating caffeinated beverages, exercising daily (something as simple as walking), and to consider a possible food allergy.

"In some people anxiety, depression, and fatigue are caused by allergic reactions to foods. The most common causes of food allergies are dairy products, followed by eggs. Other common culprits are wheat, corn, and citrus fruits, but almost any foodstuff eaten by human beings finds somewhere an individual who is allergic to it. These reactions are often subtle and difficult to recognize until the offending food has been eliminated, either by accident or by intention, and then, later, when the body is challenged with the suspect food, a recognizably adverse reaction occurs."

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/common-health-problems/depression-and-anxiety/

I will pray that you can overcome these mental demons and be free of these issues! Likewise, I need to ask the Lord to help cleanse me of my sin and heal my skin.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:33:11 AM by Laura »

Natalie

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 12:15:06 AM »
These are really good responses. I think usually it's a combination of physical, emotional, and spiritual things going on. Sometimes bad people in our life bring us down. My sister is very mean and disrespectful to my mom which depresses her. Our sins can make us depressed. For example, women that have had abortions suffer greatly with depression. And lastly our diets and exercise affect our moods.

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 09:41:25 AM »
Tonya! Well said, I enjoyed reading your reply!  And maybe its just me, but I just can't see depression and anxiety being something thats "passed down" from other family members.  Same with stuff like cancer.  Idk.  What's your diet like?  I'm not saying its good or bad, but I will say theres a reason God made fruits and vegetables and not mcdonalds and roman noodles.  I mean, even GMOs, and non organic food arent any good.  That stuff could easily encourage depression and anxiety.  I had a smart phone for the last 7 years as well and recently I switched to a "dumb phone" (a flip phone) and that has definitely helped with anxiety like feelings.  So now I dont have any social media,  the information of the world is no longer at my finger tips anywhere I go.  Its really nice believe it or not.  But yeah if you have a smart phone maybe sell it.  All that radiation in your pocket. EW!

Yes, I am a firm believer that diet has EVERYTHING to do with healing. 

Unplugging is also very helpful.  We unplug (literally) every night.  WiFi, devices, everything gets disconnected or put elsewhere to charge.  When we did simple things like turning off our WiFi at night to sleep, anxiety was a thing of the past (yes, that was my personal struggle.  I started to write a book about it, but the computer lost it all, so I figured it wasn't meant to be.).  I still use social media for business, but I am not on it much since coming to repentance in September.  None of it is worth my soul!

Salads are a great place to start!  If not a big fan, start with one every other day with grilled chicken. . . It has been almost all I eat lately.  :)
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

Tristan David Smith

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 06:57:22 PM »
I realise that this is a late post and it has been about two to three months since chris notified me of this, i skimmed through it and thought it was basically covered, however it has bugged me today and if it is of any help at all i would add my two cents,

so its been a few months since i stopped ritalin(ADD diagnosis as well) and when i stopped well i stopped dead, the first week was a little uncomfortable but after that i got on with no issues, infact i would say my concentration has improved, my discipline has also drastically improved as has also my clarity of thought, so i have the serious suspicion that the medication purported to treat such in actuality creates the dependence(for reasons explained below).

see i have a pet theory, some people have different gifts, and subtle differences in mind may well be one of them, i reckon in small part at least that what is called adhd is really just a slightly different mind, and i am using myself as an example here because what i have found is that i like to think(as in question things relentlessly until i am satisfied with the answer and understand better), i also react better to a large(relative to my class mates i was described as an encyclopedia, i don't actually know alot but you are welcome to ask my friends if this is accurate as i know the extent of my knowledge better than them i would dispute this) volume of information,

i find small pieces of information very uninteresting especially if they are bite sized like schools give you and are basically transcribing by rote rather than understanding the hows and whys behind something, if you are anything like me in that regard then unless the topic really interested you and you learnt it on your own then i reckon you would have a hard time paying attention to such things, now ritalin curiously enough makes something monotonous and uninteresting bearable, so instead of teaching a student at a pace and level of interaction that would suite him/her what has been done i reckon is to drug the student to learn at the general pace of the class(again i am still the example i use because in my last year of highschool my A level maths teacher taught very quickly and not only did i go from failing maths in the 30 percent range to the 70 to 80 percent in my first month i also became enthusiastic and thoroughly enjoyed the class, good teachers certainly do exist if anyone is unsure, he was mr sibanda, we called him Mr sibbs, the other teacher who did similar was my physics teacher and i got him in my last year as well and the same situation applies to him Mr pimbrimano),

if you can even call what is being done in schools learning that is, i stand to be corrected on this as always but i hope mayhaps in some way this is useful to someone.

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 07:14:03 PM »
Tristan, this is pretty much an old issue at this point I getting better at school work since I got a tutor to help me with trigonometry and math. I also want to explain what happened when I did take my medicine, I was supposed to take for one month and I ran out of it a while back. Half the time I would forget to take it, and other half I did, I couldn't notice a difference between either time. I think I don't need any more at least because like I said I couldn't notice a difference whatsoever.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 05:17:34 PM »
I was on adhd meds for a while tell I started falling into depression and what not. At times I felt like my mind could not be controlled. I probably would not be apart of this church may even be band if I was still on them. I couldn't barley read tell I was out on my own. I got off all the meds when I was in my 20s. It took years but now my anger has slowly went away, depression and what not comes rare. I went from mental illness to someone you would never guess was one who rode the small bus home, even tho I can see my home from the school.

The point is the problem may be the drugs themselves. Most common kids who are put on meds are ones who play video games and watch TV most of there time. And a poor diet of junk food. If I was you Caleb I would put down the games tv and study the bible. Challenge your self in it like go threw the hole bible and see what you can find about all gods creation. Birds animal tree grass and so on you will make some amazing discovers

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »
I usually don't eat junk food, and I don't play video games all the time. This issue is pretty much an old at this time, I am doing much better.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 07:21:54 PM »
With every generation the genome (DNA) of man becomes more broken and inevitably some of those alterations are going to affect the workings of the brain. 

Keeping off any kind of medication, reading and studying the Bible, being close to God and eating and sleeping well and keeping well away from the things in life that are damaging such as movies and computer games etc and making the best choices and decisions in life is probably the best you can ever do if living in a body that is partially broken.  At the end of all of that what you have is what is given by the grace of God and He will always supply what is sufficient.

Tristan David Smith

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 08:49:36 AM »
I was on adhd meds for a while tell I started falling into depression and what not. At times I felt like my mind could not be controlled. I probably would not be apart of this church may even be band if I was still on them. I couldn't barley read tell I was out on my own. I got off all the meds when I was in my 20s. It took years but now my anger has slowly went away, depression and what not comes rare. I went from mental illness to someone you would never guess was one who rode the small bus home, even tho I can see my home from the school.

that makes me even gladder i got off when i did just last year, i had anger but it was short and hot then it just disappeared as quickly as it came, i have found all my emotions are far more easily controlled than before,

taking into consideration Kevin's point about mankinds degrading genetics has me thinking that i was somewhat presumptuous given that the current state of mankind is nowhere near what it was like in Adam's time which means that we dont really have a very good baseline to measure from this i reckon further proves(as if it needed more proof already) that we really should rely on God and be grateful for what we have for he provides as is sufficient and in his time, which is perfect.