Author Topic: Baptize for the dead??  (Read 3040 times)

Jephte21

Baptize for the dead??
« on: February 27, 2018, 02:14:40 AM »
 Do you guys understand what Paul meant in 1 Corinthians 15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead? Can someone be baptize for a dead person? Why does he mentioned that in the bible? I've seen some people take it to literally mean that we should baptize for the dead which I don't agree with, and I think that's taking the scripture out of context.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Baptize for the dead??
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »
I can't tell if you're bringing this up because you're reading and studying the chapter and had a question, or if you saw this verse that someone cherry-picked and you immediately came here to ask about it instead of studying it first? Your post seems to indicate the latter, and thus, my answer is to go back to the chapter and read is slowly, making sure you understand it all before proceeding.

But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
-1Co 15:13-15

So what is the subject matter here? He is addressing those who would teach that Christ did not rise from the dead, or that there was no man who was raised from the dead by Christ.

If we cherry-pick verse 15 in willful ignorance, then we can conclude that the apostles are false witnesses and false teachers. That's absurd, and that's taken out of context. He's saying IF Christ was not raised from the dead, then we would all be false witnesses, but Christ IS raised from the dead, therefore, the apostles are true witnesses, and we speak the truth in Christ.

Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?
-1Co 15:29

Thus, IF Christ was not raised from the dead, then why are people baptized at all? Why be baptized for the dead? That would make no sense. However, because Christ IS raised from the dead, therefore, the doctrine of baptism is sure.

It seems no one raises a point of contention on the next verse, but Paul continues this line of questioning in the next verse:

And why stand we in jeopardy every hour?
-1Co 15:30

Again, IF Christ was not raised from the dead, why do the apostles put their lives at risk every hour of every day? It would not make sense to do so. However, because Christ IS raised from the dead, therefore, their jeopardy [exposure to hazard, death, and peril] is not only logical, but sound in the faith.

In short, he's asking these questions to test the reasoning processes of those who are reading, and that those who have faith in Christ should not question the resurrection of the dead, but believe soundly on Him.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Jephte21

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 07:51:25 PM »
Yes, I was reading through 1 Corinthians and I couldn't figure out what chapter 15:29 meant. Thanks for your explanation, It really help me.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:55:38 PM »
I'm glad. The way you wrote it sounded like you were reading from someone else. I'm very glad you were going through it verse by verse, and I hope that was helpful. Let me know if there's any way I can help further.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Jephte21

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 09:04:09 PM »
Hi Chris,
your answer was a thorough answer, that's all I needed to know.