Author Topic: Edify / rebuke  (Read 11695 times)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
  • Belief: Christian
Edify / rebuke
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:24:19 AM »
What is the proper use of the 'edify' and 'rebuke' buttons underneath the users picture?
I could be missing something but to me it seems like it's simply a thumbs-up and thumbs-down to what the person has posted.
Is there something more I should consider?
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
Re: Edify / rebuke
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:35:49 AM »
Maybe I'm oversimplifying it.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
Yes, it's just basically a like/dislike button. It's never showed up for me for some reason. The only thing I don't like about it, though, is that you can't tell which post(s) have been reacted to.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 05:32:28 PM »
I am so glad you ask that. I been wondering about it too. Also what are the levels mean and so on.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 06:19:06 PM »
It can basically be ignored, but it can be useful for getting an idea about who is making sound statements and others who may be having a lot of difficulty with Biblical concepts. 

I hardly pay any attention to it, but when someone does post something that I think is of very good quality I don't hesitate to give them a credit for it.  Likewise when someone has come in to the forum and are posting all sorts of junk it is good to see them being given lots of rebuke even to the extent they have a very negative score. 

It can be a good indicator to those who are new to the forum as to who is who and how well that person is regarded with respect to what they write.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 10:17:50 PM »
Well I think that was a great idea, I am glad you guys came up with it thanks for explaining it for us

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 10:37:49 PM »
To answer your question about the levels, Billy, that is just based on the number of posts you've made. I think it's either 20 or 25 posts to go from level 1 to level 2 and after that I'm not sure.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 12:07:29 AM »
The whole thing is unnecessary. My only thinking in having those things was so people could know who has been around a long time, who has been most active, and who is making posts that are helpful to the other Christians here. If we were all together physically, we would know these things as well.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Masha

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 08:23:01 AM »
Interesting. Looking into it I find out that I have only 1 edification. ??? Yet others have a lot less posts and manage to get a much higher score... Makes me wonder whether my contribution is anywhere of any value to the members on this forum...

Not very encouraging.
Besides that I do not see any benefit from them. It gives me the impression of respecting of persons, because it's based upon the opinion of another person. And it is not linked to any post or comment, so it is really a mystery how any opinion is formed or on what.
It does not seem to bring any glory to God.

Is it possible to eliminate the whole thing?

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 12:01:54 PM »
Yeah, we could, but... did you stop and think about what you just said? You just said that you don't have a very high rating, and that makes you consider the value of your own words. Why is that a bad thing? However, instead of looking inward, you just ignored judging yourself and asked to have it all removed because you felt bad. Is it unreasonable to think that's why your overall score isn't higher? Would you like me to go over past posts with you to show you why that might be the case?

Of all the members on the forum, I'll tell you who has the highest percentage of posts/edification ratio, which means it's the person (as of right now) who has posted the least, but has the highest rating. That's actually Tim. As of this post, he has 41 posts and 15 edification points, which means he's around 35-40% rating for his posts. Why do you think that is? Tim doesn't speak a whole lot, but when he does, his words are incredibly valuable, well thought-out, and very helpful because he gives us the Word of God and explains it very well, oftentimes better than I can.

Now take myself, who I have posted more than anyone else on this forum, and a lot of times, very time-consuming materials. My percentage rating is about 3%. I get less than a tenth of what Tim gets; is that respecting persons? But you've never seen me complain about it. Would you like to know why? Because I know I'm not deserving of it in the first place, and I'm glad that Tim gets them because he is deserving of it, which is what the Bible tells us we ought to do if we have humble hearts of repentance:
Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
-Phil 2:3-4

Perhaps this is a great opportunity to stop thinking selflishly, and start thinking, "Wow, I'm thankful Kenneth is getting a lot of edification from the church for his street preaching," or "Hey, Silindile gets a lot of edification from the church for her in depth discussion and humble, well-thought out posts that show a lot of her love and care for us."

But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
-Matthew 20:26-28

If we can't do that with the little things, how are we going to do that with the big things?
He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
-Luke 16:10
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
It is also could be a learning tool. Like for me I had one then 0 then one again. So I look back at what I post that led me to get a rebuke. Since it don't show when or where you get it, I had to take some time to think and found that it could of been from the hole giant and sons of god thing. It was not the edification that got me to stop and think but the rebuke that got one taken away. It is by rebuke and correction that is more valuable then the edification. If you want to learn more, you can start in proverbs.

Masha

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 02:51:04 AM »
I see your point Chris, and indeed I did consider my low score and have given it quite some thought. I also looked at the scores of others and was happy for them they got some more. I am more than willing to consider feedback/critisism or rebuke (As you underlined my contribution is apparently not very valuable), but in this case what is it based upon? Which post? What did I write? Who gave his/her opinion. Even if it were to be a tool for us to learn from I don't see how that works.

Maybe there is a way to connect the post to which someone edifies or rebukes you so that you can figure out what the reason is.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 06:03:06 AM »
Masha I have to disagree with you  on the point on knowing who when and where the rebuke or edification comes from. The reason for this is because if one is to know when, where or who they won't have to take the time to sit back and think.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 08:36:25 AM »
I was just going to say: Why does it matter who does it? Perhaps if you want to know, it might be good to make a separate thread and ask the question. You never know, you might get some good answers.

Joop

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joop
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
If I need some rebuke, I rather would have it plain, and explained.

Open rebuke is better than secret love. Proverbs 27:5

Or, as I may put it: there is nothing wrong with open rebuke.

Masha

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »
It does not matter who it is from, that is true.
If anyone has benefits from it, it may serve a purpose. So I apologise for saying it is useless. I learned about the value of my posts, in comparison to others. I should give my words more thought before I post.
I still find it a rather vague concept, and agree with Joop that I much rather have open rebuke with a clear motivation.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 11:45:20 AM »
I still find it a rather vague concept, and agree with Joop that I much rather have open rebuke with a clear motivation.
I find that you and Joop both have ignored quite a bit on this forum. Open rebuke happens all the time here, and so perhaps you both should stop looking at the numbers and start reading what's being said.

Joop

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »
I find that you and Joop both have ignored quite a bit on this forum. Open rebuke happens all the time here
As for me, I know open rebuke happens all the time here, which I didn't ignore, and I learned from that.

and so perhaps you both should stop looking at the numbers and start reading what's being said.
I hardly looked at the numbers. To be honest, I didn't really know what 'edification' with a number attached to stood for. I thought it had something to do with the number of posts. And I never bothered or investigated or asked what it all meant. Maybe I should have.
Again, I prefer open rebuke. As for me, speaking for myself, I am not really sure this kind of counting the edification 'rate' is really helpful.

Joop

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
Masha I have to disagree with you  on the point on knowing who when and where the rebuke or edification comes from. The reason for this is because if one is to know when, where or who they won't have to take the time to sit back and think.

Okay, but as for me, I would rather just have plain rebuke. If there was no rebuke at all and only a subtractrion in my edification 'score' and I would have to figure out why, this could be annoying. Though it might be beneficial to sit back and think, I get that.

Masha

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »
I did not mean to say there is no open rebuke on the forum.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:24:53 PM by Masha »