Author Topic: A great passage in Jeremiah concerning the desire of wordly things.  (Read 2777 times)

Severius Brandusa

Jeremiah 45

1 The word that Jeremiah the prophet spake unto Baruch the son of Neriah, when he had written these words in a book at the mouth of Jeremiah, in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, saying,

2 Thus saith the Lord, the God of Israel, unto thee, O Baruch:

3 Thou didst say, Woe is me now! for the Lord hath added grief to my sorrow; I fainted in my sighing, and I find no rest.

4 Thus shalt thou say unto him, The Lord saith thus; Behold, that which I have built will I break down, and that which I have planted I will pluck up, even this whole land.

5 And seekest thou great things for thyself? seek them not: for, behold, I will bring evil upon all flesh, saith the Lord: but thy life will I give unto thee for a prey in all places whither thou goest.

Dee Babbitt

• BANNED
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 29
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dee
  • Belief: Christian
Severius, thank you for posting this scripture :-)
Lately, and especially these past five years, watching my loved ones suffer, my soul is clinging closer and closer to the Lord Our God as I realize just how much I depend on Him for comfort and strength..

The worldly people work all their lives, acquiring worldly things, and not seeking the Lord.  Then when bad things happen, as does happen in this fallen world, they are not prepared and have despair.

My father had a stroke five years ago, losing his ability to walk and talk.  My sisters, my mom and I took care of him; he passed away after 2-1/2 years of suffering. Then, my mom became ill and we spent a year and a half nursing her back to health.  Now my youngest son, Joshua, is ill, and that is the most heart breaking of all.

The sadness of watching my loved ones suffer has been humbling to me.  There is nothing I can do to fix the situation...except give it to God and pray for His help. 

Our Lord God is my strength and I find rest in Him.

No amount of money or worldly things can ever give comfort when our loved ones are suffering.  These past five years, I have found such peace in simplifying...letting go of worldly possessions accumulated in 31 years of marriage--donating unused items, minimizing books, clothes, and other possessions.  I am more at peace, and better able to focus on the tasks at hand.

Severius Brandusa

You have greatly encouraged me by your reply, Dee. This chapter in Jeremiah also made me consider exactly what is truly meaningful in this life we have been given. I'm so sorry to hear about your hardships and the hardships of your family. I will be keeping you, Joshua, your mother and sisters, and Josh's brother in my prayers. It can be difficult to look ahead to the glory that is set before us because of the blindness caused by this flesh and the desires of the flesh, but truly our Lord God is greater than this world and its devices. I love that the Bible is exactly the way it is. The Word of God written in His Book never ceases to enlighten and amaze me. I would find myself always wondering if the Bible would touch upon a certain matter, and praise be to the Lord that He never leaves out the important things that we definitely need to hear. God bless you and Joshua and thank you again for the reply.

stevesams

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 18
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Steve
  • Belief: Christian
Re: A great passage in Jeremiah concerning the desire of wordly things.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 08:37:55 PM »
Severius, Thank you so much for posting those verses out of Jeremiah!!!!  I had recently been seeking great things for myself.  I have been offered several jobs that pay a lot of money and I was considering taking them just because of the money.  One of them I was considering was out of state.  I cannot believe I considered taking it and leaving my daughter back here not to mention leaving a ministry that God has me in! How foolish that would have been.  God has removed from me the care of money and worldly riches and for that I am very thankful.  These verses really got to me and solidified by decision to stay.  I can be so foolish and unwise sometimes.   

Severius Brandusa

Re: A great passage in Jeremiah concerning the desire of wordly things.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 12:57:49 AM »
May the LORD God be always with you, Steve. I'm completely unworthy to hear such kind words from the church. May our God and Savior, Jesus Christ, receive all the glory and worship. I'm so sorry for replying so late as well, Steve. Please forgive me for being absent in fellowship.