Author Topic: Biometric clocking systems  (Read 4214 times)

Ruth

Biometric clocking systems
« on: February 06, 2019, 02:06:12 PM »
The place where I work is introducing a fingerprint scanner in order to track who is in the building at any one time.

I don't know much about how this works - as I only found out this morning - then within the hour they were asking each person to scan their fingerprint. I declined, but I'm to speak to management about it as it comes in to effect in 5 days or so. I don't know if I'll be fired for non-compliance.

All I know is it scans your fingerprint and then this is turned into a string of numbers. They tell me that it can't be hacked but I'm not sure if I believe them- on their website, you  can store information on some cloud-type thing.
I don't know who stores the information and I don't know what legal implications there are with who can access or use the information.

But my question was, has anyone had a similar experience with these types of scanners at their workplace? Is it better to avoid these types devices?

I'm sorry if this post is a bit all over the place; I'm still kind of surprised with how quickly they wanted to implement this and how quiet they were about it until an hour before they wanted our fingerprints.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Biometric clocking systems
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 02:21:30 PM »
The place where I work is introducing a fingerprint scanner in order to track who is in the building at any one time.

I don't know much about how this works - as I only found out this morning - then within the hour they were asking each person to scan their fingerprint. I declined, but I'm to speak to management about it as it comes in to effect in 5 days or so. I don't know if I'll be fired for non-compliance.

All I know is it scans your fingerprint and then this is turned into a string of numbers. They tell me that it can't be hacked but I'm not sure if I believe them- on their website, you  can store information on some cloud-type thing.
I don't know who stores the information and I don't know what legal implications there are with who can access or use the information.

But my question was, has anyone had a similar experience with these types of scanners at their workplace? Is it better to avoid these types devices?

I'm sorry if this post is a bit all over the place; I'm still kind of surprised with how quickly they wanted to implement this and how quiet they were about it until an hour before they wanted our fingerprints

Hi Ruth

I wouldn't worry too much about fingerprint scanning.  It could be forged for whatever purpose, but then so can a signature.  There are many times a year that we sign a document and someone could duplicate that and use it for whatever purpose.  I don't know what it is like in the USA, but here in New Zealand we have our photo on our drivers licence. 

I would only be prepared to lose my job over any kind of implant or other mark applied to my body.

If a criminal really wanted to duplicate your fingerprints they only have to wait for something you touch and then lift your fingerprints off and then duplicate them.  Even if we are ever wrongfully convicted, God is there with us.  Chris J wrote recently about Joseph being wrongfully treated by his brothers etc and what the outcome of that was.

Actually many mobile devices and some laptop computers have fingerprint scanners.  Google might already have a copy of your fingerprints and who knows   .....  they might have already onsold them to the highest bidder.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 02:35:13 PM »
If any of your information on your fingerprint got out of their system and into the wrong hands, it can be proven pretty easily, and you would be well within your rights to sue them for enough money that you wouldn't have to go find another job. If they mess it up, they'll have to pay the price, and the settlement would be no small sum. I doubt you have to worry about it.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Ruth

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 02:44:04 PM »
Those are good points.

I was thinking someone could just cut my finger off as well and breach the system that way - not that I'd want them to - but, yes, I guess there aren't many fool-proof systems out there.

I'd be more concerned about being chipped as they could potentially track you all the time.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:13:15 PM »
The hole chip thing is old technology. I remember when people run around and said rfid it is the mark of the beast don get the chip. Today, tracking you is so much easier with out having to put a chip in someone. For example your phone is a great way to track someone. Fingerprinting I think is quite amazing idea. Not saying I agree with it but hard to get away with fake finger prints.  I remember working in a warehouse who had the finger print scanner. It was only way you can get in or out. It was nice not to have to wait in line to sign in and have your I.d check. But if I was you I won't be worried about being track because you already are being tracked

ThomasHGW

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 16
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Thomas
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 06:17:15 PM »
We have to scan our badges at work. To get in the parking lot, then again to get in the building, and again to clock in. The time and place everyone scans a badge is recorded. What I don't like about it is the radio waves that are used to detect the badge being swiped. I have done a little research on certain frequencies of radio waves like 5g wifi and stuff and how bad it is for your health. I don't know if it's true or not, but I try to avoid exposure when I can.
The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.   -Psalms 119:72

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 06:54:27 AM »
I definitely know that 5G, WiFi, WiFi, and those x-ray machines at airports are bad. Not sure about the scanners for badges, though. I never thought about those posing any type of risk.

ThomasHGW

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 16
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Thomas
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 10:35:31 AM »
I think they send out the same type of short wave frequency to detect the chip inside the card. It's called wave id made by RF Ideas, the RF stands for radio frequency. Whether it's bad for you're health or not, it seems too closely related to what IS bad for your health.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:40:12 AM by ThomasHGW »
The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.   -Psalms 119:72

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 02:49:43 PM »
This biometrics issue is another reason why I'm glad I work at the United States Postal Service. We are still swiping cards to clock-in in the morning. We are still punching a numbered keypad to get in the door. The vehicle I am sitting in right now was built in the 1980s.
I work for a dinosaur, and it pays well. :-)
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 04:11:12 PM »
There might be something to the hole frequency giving you health problems. I know that living under main power lines will give you health problems. Some of you may remember that hole battle they had over that in America. It is why it is illegal to build a house so close to main power lines. It may be true also cell phones give you brain cancer.

Ruth

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm a fan of all this new technology. I've used cards before; but not a biometric system.

One of the reasons I wasn't sure about this fingerprinting system was that when you give your fingerprint, it generates a string of numbers. I thought that this meant that I'd have a number assigned to me, and I didn't know if God would like this because He's the one who gave me my fingerprints; He didn't create me with a serial number.

It turns out the string of numbers is an algorithim that's then sent to a computer to show what time you check in/out - it is still unique to your fingerprint though.
I've been told it's not being used to calculate earnings or allocate pay; which I was also unsure about. I have it in writing that it's only being used to see who is in the building.

I now have until Monday to decide. I still really dislike the idea, I think partly because I don't understand all the scripture surrounding the mark of the beast. I don't think fingerprint scanning is it, but it's the kind of technology and the philosophy behind it that bothers me.

I shouldn't doubt God; if I'm saved then I'm sealed until the day of redemption. I just can't see much good in those types of systems except convenience.

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »
I think it's all part of the conditioning process to get people used to seeing/using that type of technology so when they DO roll out the mandatory marking/chipping/whatever, the public will be more likely to accept it without too many questions.

Putting microchips in pets and livestock has been common practice for years and some people are advocating putting them in babies 'in case they are kidnapped' (not realising, of course, that it's just another way for the government to track you).