Author Topic: If You Read Carefully, Liars Expose Themselves  (Read 14363 times)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
If You Read Carefully, Liars Expose Themselves
« on: July 31, 2019, 06:55:55 PM »

NICK FROM TENNESSEE:

Chris, (all-caps for emphasis)
I just read your study on Predestination VS Free Will. I'm right there with you on the whole "Churchianity" issue, and "Christian New Age" topics. I was a part of that churchy world for most of my life until about 6 years ago, when the Lord caused me to seek only His word. Anyhoo, it's a long testimony, let me get to the questions I want to ask you...
Eph 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
This part... "Him who worketh all things" is what I want to bring to our attention. And then God says...
Phil 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. 

No, it's correct to say "also, God says" -- what you're trying to do is continue the thought as if Eph 1:11 was followed up directly by Phil 2:13. What you're doing is attempting to discern a doctrine "here a little and there a little" (Isa 28:10), which is fine, but I have to make such notes and disclaimers with men who write me the way you are writing me. What I mean is that you have written this letter to me in contention (i.e. you didn't come here to learn from me or to discuss anything together). I haven't read the rest of your letter yet, but your spirit is fairly clear so far, even though you are not stating your intentions clearly, so I need to be cautious of you moving forward.

God works all things, including our wills, both to will and to do... of His good pleasure. 
You didn't give any scripture that shows that God gives us a free will in time, but predestines us out of time? I looked in scripture, but didn't see that stated anywhere in scripture.

I'm wondering how to approach this because you didn't write me to learn anything. That's really obvious now, especially since I did give Scripture for that, but you ignored it. (i.e. It's not that you couldn't find it, but you didn't want to see it.) You're trying to justify a doctrine you believe, and really, I don't like people who beat around the bush and are not straight-forward with their intentions. I just have a hard time helping someone who thinks that putting a question mark at the end of his sentence means that he wants an answer.
Without even going to the Scripture; I'll just apply a simple reason of the Scriptures themselves. The existence of commandments in Scripture makes no sense unless we're given choice. Even the existence of reward for good works, makes no sense unless we've given a choice. I'll be frank, if you can't understand that; I don't think I can help you because, again, you didn't write me to learn anything.

The choices that he places before us "life and death", "blue t-shirt or red t-shirt" etc. are all worked by Him and for Him. We have a will, but it is NOT FREE from His will.
Then go believe whatever you want, and I hope you have a great day.

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
1 Sam 16:14 But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him.
Amos 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the Lord hath not done it?
Isaiah 63:17 O Lord, why hast thou made us to err from thy ways, and hardened our heart from thy fear? Return for thy servants' sake, the tribes of thine inheritance.
Romans 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
Jeremiah 18:6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.
Acts 17:26  And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
We can't even love Him without Him loving us first...
1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.
Scripture says that God works all things after the council of His own will, even our very own wills to will and to do.  I've never seen scripture that says... "Inside time, you have a choice. Outside time, you are predestined." This idea came from somewhere, do you have scripture on this?

Yes, I do, and I presented it in the article, which means I now do not believe that you actually read and/or listened to that teaching I did, and I don't appreciate when people lie to me. (i.e. "I just read your study on Predestination VS Free Will." - That was a lie; you may have skimmed it, but you didn't read it.)
I have work to do, and I need to get back to it. Again, I hope you depart in peace, and that your family would remain in good health with all their needs met.

We have the ability to make thousands of choices a day, but they are not free. Having the ability to choose or make choices doesn't mean we have a will that is free from His.
Thanks for listening. I hope this has been beneficial for us both in some way.

Sadly, it was just a waste of my time. Again, I need to get back to work. Have a great day.

END OF EXCHANGE

The first word of his letter showed me that he had no intention of talking with me or learning anything. How could I possibly discern that from the word 'Chris'? The problem is not someone calling me "Chris," as almost everyone who knows me calls me that. However, that's not how most people write me. When someone who does not know me writes me respectfully, they write "Christopher" because that's the name attached to all my teachings. I would do the same thing on someone else's website; I would address them by the name they used. Without reading anything else, and because this guy had never contacted me before, I knew he was not going to listen to a word I had to say, and that it was a complete waste of time.
Furthermore, someone had shared this teaching somewhere in which some controversy arose because I had a group of emails sent to me all in one afternoon about this very topic. What was amazing about it is that not one of them who wrote me about that subject had actually read the article. I even had one guy openly admit it in a response to me. I'm guessing what happened is this: Someone posted this link somewhere with a generalized explanation or specific quotes from my article, they read the summary, went to the website, and immediately wrote me to complain without checking out what I taught and the Scriptures I provided. To that, I can only say one thing:

He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.
-Pro 18:13

The way I've always approached this is that if I was going to go to someone else's website or ministry and try to teach them a doctrine, I didn't just kick down the front door and demand they adhere to everything I say. That's what most people do. (While, at the same time, they call me the prideful one.) I might give them someone I wrote and just ask them if they would provide analysis of it, or I ask them a question about their beliefs on a particular subject, but these folks are just people trying to act like they have understanding when they don't, and I have one thing I'm really trying to figure out:

Why are they so hell-bent on the doctrine that mankind does not have a choice?

The only answer I've been able to come up with so far is that it justifies them to be lazy, meaning that they don't have to do any evangelism. Outside of that, I haven't yet been able to figure out their reason for hating the truth of God's Word so much, and why they push so hard to do inconvenient mental gymnastics to try and the get Bible to say something they want it to say.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Raymond

Re: If You Read Carefully, Liars Expose Themselves
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »
I'm going to have to go over the Predestination VS Free Will article again. I admit I'd only listened to the Youtube version but never read the article all the way through. I also currently hold to the "no free will" position, but if Scripture shows that I'm wrong then Scripture wins that tug of war.  My current understanding is that man has a will, but that will is subject to a person's nature and the influences that person encounters, and so that will isn't truly free. The choices that God offers reveal the nature of the one deciding one course over another, or whether to obey or disobey. A regenerated spirit's nature is to obey and please God, but unregenerated flesh's nature is to disobey God and please itself, so there's the warfare. An dead spirit and unregenerated flesh obviously would have no reservations against absolutely revelling in sin. Anyhow, just trying to add to the discussion. Curious of your thoughts other than what I'll read in the article.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 07:35:26 PM »
I hope you'll share your thoughts after you go over it. If you do decide to go over it, I hope you'll allow me to suggest one thing:
In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
-2Ti 2:25

I would not do this with men like Nick from TN, but with you (Raymond), who I believe is brethren in Christ, and that I thus far trust that you seek the wisdom of God, I have no problem suggesting this if you'll allow it. You don't need to answer on this thread if you don't want to, but just try to define what the word 'peradventure' means in Scripture, and then once you define it, try to figure out how that can fit into the "no free will" position you mentioned.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 08:25:34 AM »
Chris said:
"someone had shared this teaching somewhere in which some controversy arose because I had a group of emails sent to me all in one afternoon about this very topic."

My guess is that it was a Calvinist group based on this 'wild' email and the last one. The doctrine, tone and attitude are typical Calvinistic markers that I've seen from most people that profess this false belief system. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 08:27:46 AM by Kenneth Winslow »
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 08:35:48 AM »
Well, that's why I didn't bother to give that guy Scripture; he didn't want to hear it. He was not there to learn or discuss. I just wanted to see if the man could be reasoned with first; that's why I tried to reason with him to explain that the very existence of commandments shows that we have free will. The existence of rebuke and correction shows that we have free will, unless someone wants to say our errors and wrongdoing came from God, which, knowing the purity of the Lord, I would call blasphemy.

That's why I'm still curious why such a ludicrous doctrine is defended so fervently. (Please forgive me for my bluntness; I have no wish to insult Raymond at all, especially before he has had a chance to examine the matter more closely--this is just my honest opinion of the "no free will" doctrine.) The only other reason I can think of is that these people have put their faith in a pastor and/or church building, and if what I'm saying is true, it exposes the fallacy of the people and system they put their faith in, and instead of looking for the truth, they lie, falsely accuse, and then puff themselves up as if they understand the verses of Scripture they're sending me.

I guess this is why I've taught before that memorization of Scripture is good, but understanding of the doctrine is far better. Anyone can quote Scripture, and anyone can quote someone else quoting Scripture; that doesn't mean they understand it.

Reed Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 10:01:25 AM »
"Peradventure"

Oh wow!  I had never considered that.  Wonderful.  :)

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »
"Peradventure"
Oh, that was short. I was hoping to hear more from you. What was your conclusion?

Reed Scott

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 07:42:17 PM »
"Peradventure"
Oh, that was short. I was hoping to hear more from you. What was your conclusion?

Sure.  I was on my way out for the day.  I would like to include some of the context of the verse and word in question:

But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. [2Ti 2:23 KJV]

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all [men], apt to teach, patient, [2Ti 2:24 KJV]

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; [2Ti 2:25 KJV]

And [that] they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will. [2Ti 2:26 KJV]

In modern English we would probably use the word 'perhaps' in place of peradventure.  Or we could say per chance or by chance. Since this all came up in the discussion of Calvinism vs Free Will ... or Arminianism ... the calvinist could not bear to think there was any chance involved in Timothy's ministry to those who oppose themselves.  Nor would there be in whether or not God would give them repentance.  In calvinist philosophy everything is orchestrated by God.  How could 'peradventure' have anything to do with one recovering themselves out of the snare of the devil.  That would be one exercising his free will and even to recover THEMSELVES. 

My excitement earlier was due to my never having considered this one word as being a direct challenge to Calvinism.  A word we most likely skip over when reading.  At least I have anyway.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 07:47:15 PM »
Sorry, I read the post too fast. I thought Raymond had responded with that, and I was hoping to hear his reaction to it. I didn't realize it was from you. Don't misunderstand, I'm glad you're responding, and I liked your analysis, but I thought I was talking to Raymond.  :P

zachshrader

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 21
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Zachary
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 09:04:05 PM »
Thats funny Chris, because I thought it was Raymond too!  I am laughing so hard right now!

Raymond

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 10:40:40 PM »
I got halfway through the article today, I'll have something for you tomorrow for sure. To be honest I only call myself Calvinist because after my conversion I came across the doctrines of grace (the 5 points) and scriptural references for them. I looked them up in their context and agreed with all 5 points, though honestly once I accepted that total depravity INCLUDED myself the rest of the points fell into place hahaha. That was also the time where I had a much greater reverence for God's sovereignty after reading Job, so the "no free will" concept seemed like a no brainer, especially in the context of Scripture that speaks of foreknowledge and predestination.

It floors me that people who call themselves Calvinists who are supposed to understand that literally nothing but the grace and mercy of God acting to regenerate them can communicate with so much pride. I mean I understand discussions can get intense, but the childishness I've read in this letter and one other really makes me think those guys aren't really born again, or best case scenario have some serious chastening coming up. It seems more like they got a hold of Calvinist doctrines and believed them, but weren't regenerated and so use them to brow-beat anyone who doesn't follow suit. Calvinist false converts if you will. So is that a bad tree/bad fruit thing? I'm thinking probably. They literally should be the most humble people on earth if they understood their lack of ability to save themselves.

That's where my understanding of the lack of free will come in, that carnal-minded man's inability to choose salvation is intimately linked to his inborn depravity, and in that state it is literally impossible for him to be saved in any way other than God changing his spiritual character (from dead to alive); in that way allow for his will also to change. I'm still chewing on the process, the sequence of events (regeneration, repentance, conversion, etc), but Chris is 100% correct in teaching that grief and sorrow over sinning against God is an essential part of salvation. No carnally-minded person can sincerely repent. Without God-given repentance there is no true humility, and without humility there is no desperate sincerity in begging for forgiveness. God only gives grace to the humble after all.

Raymond

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 10:45:02 PM »
Haha, "That was also the time where I had a much greater reverence for God's sovereignty" makes it sound like I did then but I don't now. That was the time when I gained a much greater reverence. Still have it, though I'm sure It's nothing near what it should be.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 11:13:47 PM »
Hmm... perhaps that's why I've run into so much arrogance among the Calvinist crowd? I know I'm not the only one here who has run into that as well. I hadn't really considered it until you said something because I was never a part of that crowd.

Is it that they're trying to figure out HOW someone is regenerated? Because I don't think that's something that we can answer. That's like the difference between these two questions?
-Did God make a cow?
-How did God make a cow?

Those are two very different questions, the former we can answer, and the latter we cannot.

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 02:44:44 AM »
Even my mother, who has been (and still is) a member of a Presbyterian church for 56 years (and went to another Presbyterian church for at least 3 years before that, even though she was raised Baptist), understands the difference between us having free will and God's foreknowledge of all things. This building has a 'Calvin Room' and a  'Knox Hall'.

She holds to a lot of other false 'churchianity' doctrines, but at least she understands this concept.

Raymond

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 11:17:00 PM »
Apologies, busy day.

So in in 2Ti 2:25 the word "peradventure" in this context seems to mean something equivalent to "just in case", as in a hopeful uncertainty. Should God will to give them repentance, it should be to the acknowledging of the truth and not necessarily intimidation or harshness like those contentious cage-stage Calvinists might try to pull. In any case, "peradventure" in this verse speaks of Paul's uncertainty about whether God will grant repentance. It doesn't say anything to me of choice or will other than God's.

I agree that outside linear time all decisions are already made and within linear time we are making decisions on various choices as we encounter them. My question is this... just what is it that makes a person choose one thing over another?

Webster's 1828:
WILL, noun [See the Verb.]
1. That faculty of the mind by which we determine either to do or forbear an action; the faculty which is exercised in deciding, among two or more objects, which we shall embrace or pursue.
---> The will is directed or influenced by the judgment.
The understanding or reason compares different objects, which operate as motives; the judgment determines which is preferable, and the will decides which to pursue.
---> In other words, we reason with respect to the value or importance of things; we then judge which is to be preferred; and we will to take the most valuable. These are but different operations of the mind, soul, or intellectual part of man. Great disputes have existed respecting the freedom of the will will is often quite a different thing from desire.

I agree that within linear time there are a variety of choices presented, but if the will is directed by the judgement consider all the possible influences on that judgement! Going with your analogy of visiting your home for dinner... If hunger was not a strong enough influence, I would not have judged that I wanted to eat and would have been content to go without eating rather than to ask for food. If she asked if I was hungry and her question brough my attention to the fact that I was, her question would bring my nature to mind (why yes I actually AM hungry) which would influence my judgement to focus my will on taking the action of accepting a meal. But even after that, if what she prepared was repulsive to me (for example something full of cheese and I happen to be lactose intolerant) my judgement of the appeal of the food is influenced by the knowledge of its ingredients, the understanding of my lactose intolerance, and my fear of the painful and embarrassing after-effects. Regardless of how hungry I was or how good a cook your wife is or how worried I was about insulting either of you by refusing, my lactose intolerant nature would compel me to.

I hope you can understand when I say we all have a will but that will is not free. We make our own decisions, but those decisions are in response to how our nature interprets all of the incoming influences together. I know that someone who holds to free will might ask "what if I choose to do something that is normally against my nature?", but in doing that thing they would only show that their nature includes attempting to do things that would otherwise be against their nature.

The thing that sticks out foremost in my mind about the "Is Repentance Part of Salvation?" message is when you encouraged people to pray that God would grant them repentance. Man even just that request... If someone hearing that was carnally minded, their spiritually dead nature would find that request utterly ridiculous if not repulsive. They enjoy their sin, why would they ever ask to be made to feel bad about it? But someone with a spiritually regenerated nature hears; and if they believe and realize that they've never repented, they pray for repentance. Arguably the choice is available either way for both nature, but the will follows the nature and acts on what the nature determines to be most valuable.

Take the example of the lame man at the Beautiful Gate:

Acts 3:1-8
Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour. And
---> a certain man lame from his mother's womb
---> was carried,
whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple; Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms. And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us. And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them. Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. And
---> he leaping up stood, and walked,
---> and entered with them into the temple,
---> walking, and leaping, and praising God.

In his lame state his nature prevented him from walking and leaping, and since he was lame from birth most likely never even considered it a possibility. God changed his nature through John. Free will could argue that he had just as much of an option to sit back down and keep begging, but predestination would say his changed nature compelled him to walk and leap and enter the temple.

Curious for your feedback :D

Raymond

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 11:38:10 PM »
Undoubtedly false conversion is the source of Calvinist arrogance. Just like the rest of professing Christians, false converts make up the majority of them too. In their minds "being elect" puts them into an elite class (which is TOTALLY unscriptural) and if you don't agree with them, you're inferior. I run into it all the time. I've unfriended the vast majority of FB Calvinists I've run into for just that reason. Oh, and also because the totally mock the KJVO position. Just out of curiosity how many of the really arrogant Calvinists have you found to be KJVO?

Some of them try to argue the technicalities of salvation like supralapsarianism or infralapsarianism. It's ridiculous. Who cares. I mostly just try to figure out the sequence of things that brought me to conversion. It's like a smear of events across my whole life. Is that "working out my salvation"? Maybe part of it...

I'm not even sure about associating myself with Calvinists anymore. I usually just tell people "five points, five solas, KJVO" and that usually enough to get them angry at me hahaha.

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 03:12:17 AM »
I had no idea of what those two terms you mentioned mean; in fact, I had never heard the words before. So for everyone's benefit, I went and looked them up

Definition of supralapsarianism
: the doctrine that God decreed both election and reprobation prior to creation and then allowed the fall of man as a means of carrying out his divine purposes

Definition of infralapsarianism
: the doctrine that God foresaw and permitted the fall of man and that after the fall he then decreed election as a means of saving some of the human race

Merriam-Webster

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 12:52:55 PM »
Apologies, busy day.
So in in 2Ti 2:25 the word "peradventure" in this context seems to mean something equivalent to "just in case", as in a hopeful uncertainty. Should God will to give them repentance, it should be to the acknowledging of the truth and not necessarily intimidation or harshness like those contentious cage-stage Calvinists might try to pull. In any case, "peradventure" in this verse speaks of Paul's uncertainty about whether God will grant repentance. It doesn't say anything to me of choice or will other than God's.
Correct, but the question you didn't answer (or perhaps you didn't consider) was why Paul would have said "by chance" concerning God giving someone repentance. Why did he not say something like "according to His will?" Well, by chance means that we, who are stuck in time, do not know the will of God, and therefore, because we cannot know such deep things of God, nor even begin to understand the complexities of His judgments, in our own view, it appears as "chance," not knowing the outcome of such things. Therefore, outside of time, God has predestined all those who come to repentance, and inside of time, it appears to be of chance because we do not have full knowledge. Likewise, as God has predestined rewards for all who have done good works, but inside time, we are still making choices because we cannot understand His ways.

However, I was also waiting for you to shrug off the word 'peradventure' used in this passage because that's what most people would do. Now that you have said "It doesn't say anything to me of choice or will other than God's," and I figured you wouldn't take the time to go do some more Biblical research on the matter, now let's look at something a big tougher to chew on:
And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt:
-Exd 13:17

If anyone needs help understanding this, let me know.

I agree that outside linear time all decisions are already made and within linear time we are making decisions on various choices as we encounter them. My question is this... just what is it that makes a person choose one thing over another?
And that is attempting to attain unto the deep knowledge of God, whereas the Bible says we cannot attain such things, it is arrogance in ourselves to believe that we were created with the capability to understand things that complex:
O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
-Psa 139:1-6

So, either we believe the Bible that such knowledge is far beyond us, or we don't believe the Bible, and then endlessly debate and try to search out answers within ourselves in vanity. I would say, such is the foolishness of the Calvinist. If David, one who was so highly favored of God, much more than any of us, could not attain it, on what basis should we believe that we should have such knowledge?

Webster's 1828:
WILL, noun [See the Verb.]
1. That faculty of the mind by which we determine either to do or forbear an action; the faculty which is exercised in deciding, among two or more objects, which we shall embrace or pursue.
---> The will is directed or influenced by the judgment.
The understanding or reason compares different objects, which operate as motives; the judgment determines which is preferable, and the will decides which to pursue.
---> In other words, we reason with respect to the value or importance of things; we then judge which is to be preferred; and we will to take the most valuable. These are but different operations of the mind, soul, or intellectual part of man. Great disputes have existed respecting the freedom of the will will is often quite a different thing from desire.
Again, I like Noah Webster's dictionary, but it's not my final authority.

I agree that within linear time there are a variety of choices presented, but if the will is directed by the judgement consider all the possible influences on that judgement! Going with your analogy of visiting your home for dinner... If hunger was not a strong enough influence, I would not have judged that I wanted to eat and would have been content to go without eating rather than to ask for food. If she asked if I was hungry and her question brough my attention to the fact that I was, her question would bring my nature to mind (why yes I actually AM hungry) which would influence my judgement to focus my will on taking the action of accepting a meal. But even after that, if what she prepared was repulsive to me (for example something full of cheese and I happen to be lactose intolerant) my judgement of the appeal of the food is influenced by the knowledge of its ingredients, the understanding of my lactose intolerance, and my fear of the painful and embarrassing after-effects. Regardless of how hungry I was or how good a cook your wife is or how worried I was about insulting either of you by refusing, my lactose intolerant nature would compel me to.
That might fool others, but it will not fool me because I understand what you're attempting to do. For example:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
-John 10:1-5

Now let's suppose the scribe lifts up his hand to speak:
"Lord, what if the shepherd simply lost his keys to the barn lock? There might not be any other way to get into the barn but by climbing up that other way. Also, what if the shepherd has a cold? He might not sound like the shepherd at the time because his voice might be distorted to some degree, and in that case, the sheep would be running from the shepherd instead of going to him!"
I don't know if there is an official name for this, but it's what I like to call "hyper-analysis of an analogy," which takes a basic analogy that is meant for basic understanding of a simple topic, and someone blows it so far out of proportion, no one else could possibly understand it anymore. There's always basic analysis of an analogy, because not all analogies are correct, but hyper-analysis is always done by people looking for a way to justify themselves because if you hyper-analyze it and miss the purpose of the analogy, ANY analogy can be broken down into nonsense through "what-ifs." And this is exactly what the lawyer did to Jesus:
And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live. But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?
-Luke 10:25-29

He wanted to debate the definition of neighbor so he could justify his own beliefs (and wickedness) through a grammar dictionary, rather than going to the Word of God. Whereas we typically use Webster's dictionary for clarification, while we back things up with Scripture, what you just did was try to use that dictionary as a foundation for your argument, just as the lawyer was attempting to do with Christ. (And btw, Jesus answered by giving him another parable; because seeing they see not, neither do they understand. Mat 13:13)

I hope you can understand when I say we all have a will but that will is not free. We make our own decisions, but those decisions are in response to how our nature interprets all of the incoming influences together. I know that someone who holds to free will might ask "what if I choose to do something that is normally against my nature?", but in doing that thing they would only show that their nature includes attempting to do things that would otherwise be against their nature.
What you're trying to say, but not say, is that "We have a will, but it's not really ours," because that sentence doesn't sound as reasonable. The reason you're doing this is because you do not want to believe that people have a choice, and I can guarantee there is a wicked reasoning for it. The real problem is that you believe the omniscience of God makes it impossible for Him to give us free will to make a choice. The God I serve is infinite, but He gives people free will choice, and He gives people over to their choices when their heart has become too corrupt. He has His own way of judging this that we cannot understand.
For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
-Romans 1:26-28

The thing that sticks out foremost in my mind about the "Is Repentance Part of Salvation?" message is when you encouraged people to pray that God would grant them repentance. Man even just that request... If someone hearing that was carnally minded, their spiritually dead nature would find that request utterly ridiculous if not repulsive. They enjoy their sin, why would they ever ask to be made to feel bad about it?
I gotta' admit, I laughed when I just read this because that's correct. And that's also the point. Are you not understanding something here? Is it that you do not believe that God can give someone repentance and they can reject it? You say these things as if I had not understood them when I gave that teaching. Of course such a thing would be repulsive to someone given over to their sin, and that's why, when given over to their sin, they will not hear the call of God in which He is not willing that any would perish, and yet, they do.
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
-2Pe 3:9

Are you telling me that you believe that God goes against His own will with these people?
Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
-Eze 33:11

Why did God not say, "Let me turn you from your evil ways?" Or rather, if He takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked, then why is He torturing Himself to not turn them by His own power since the people have no free will?
For many are called, but few are chosen.
-Mat 22:14

If God calls them, why are they not chosen? It's call free will choice.
What you're telling us is nonsense Raymond, something that you learned as the rudiments of your education, and my big curiosity is: Why do you so desperately hold onto nonsense? If I can discern the real reason why (and I'm looking for it), I think this conversation will end quickly.

But someone with a spiritually regenerated nature hears; and if they believe and realize that they've never repented, they pray for repentance. Arguably the choice is available either way for both nature, but the will follows the nature and acts on what the nature determines to be most valuable.
Therefore, you believe in regeneration before regeneration of the Holy Spirit. That means you do not believe Scripture.
For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
-Tts 3:3-7

We were not heirs beforehand, but were made heirs. If you do not believe that, prior to regeneration, we choose to do those wicked things, then you believe that sin is God's fault, and that's dangerous doctrine because it's blaspheme.
For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
-1Co 15:21

If man does not have free will choice, then by God came death, and that's heresy.

Take the example of the lame man at the Beautiful Gate:
Acts 3:1-8
Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour. And
---> a certain man lame from his mother's womb
---> was carried,
whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple; Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms. And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us. And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them. Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. And
---> he leaping up stood, and walked,
---> and entered with them into the temple,
---> walking, and leaping, and praising God.
In his lame state his nature prevented him from walking and leaping, and since he was lame from birth most likely never even considered it a possibility. God changed his nature through John. Free will could argue that he had just as much of an option to sit back down and keep begging, but predestination would say his changed nature compelled him to walk and leap and enter the temple.
Curious for your feedback :D
Well, first of all, "predestination" does not "say" anything. That's called personification, and you used it fallaciously. That's like when evolutionists say "science tells us;" that's ridiculous. It's your opinion, your belief, and your analysis, but again, you don't want to believe that because you have "no free will," right?
That man's faith in God's power healed him. That's what you do not see.
The same heard Paul speak: who stedfastly beholding him, and perceiving that he had faith to be healed,
-Acts 14:9

He believed, which is why he attempted to stand up and walk in the first place, and that was indeed a choice. If he did not believe he would be healed, he would not have been healed. He was given a commandment, and he followed it because he already had the humility of repentance and faith in his heart. Nowhere does it say he was saved on that day; that his spirit was regenerated, but rather, it was his flesh that was healed. He went leaping about the temple in praise and thanks unto God, that others, peradventure, might also believe. He was both compelled and given a choice, both being predestined and having free will, having desire and choosing to act on it, but you don't want to believe that, and if we can discern the reason why you don't want to believe that, it will be much easier to get at the heart of this conversation.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 11:04:09 PM »
James 1 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. 13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 but every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

i.e. It's all free choice on the individual.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 01:49:41 AM »
Do you believe Lucifer had free will? God knew what he would do and what he would become before He created him, but do you honestly believe God intended for that to happen?