Author Topic: Rejecting Godly Sorrow  (Read 8497 times)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Rejecting Godly Sorrow
« on: August 29, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »

HENRY FROM SOUTH CAROLINA:

Chris: I have been enjoying your website for the past week or so. There is lots of good teaching here in my estimation against evolution, holidays and false converts. I have also enjoyed listening to some of your more expositional teachings in the book of acts. I do not agree with your position on repentance. When I read my bible it is extremely hard to limit repentance to your definition of it.
It is godly sorrow that leads one to repentance. In addition you claim that youtr view can be found in the writings of Christians in the past. Where? The small snipit from Charles Spurgeon does not do justice to his full teaching on the subject. I speculate that your position on this point results from your attempt to reconcile God's sovereignty in salvation with man's responsibility to turn from sin for it.
Both are taught clearly and plainly in the bible. They do not contradict each other as some suppose, but both must be held in tension (as man will never understand the thoughts of God). If you would like to discuss salvation further, please contact me.
Thanks again for the articles and audio.

I have been enjoying your website for the past week or so. There is lots of good teaching here in my estimation against evolution, holidays and false converts. I have also enjoyed listening to some of your more expositional teachings in the book of acts. I do not agree with your position on repentance. When I read my bible it is extremely hard to limit repentance to your definition of it.
I understand; it is very difficult for those who have never gone through repentance (i.e. grief and godly sorrow of their sin) to accept it. They need to change the definition of it in order to justify themselves. That's why you do not understand the parables of Christ either, though I'm sure you claim to understand them; only when God gives you that godly sorrow (i.e. repentance) to acknowledge the truth will you understand these things.

It is godly sorrow that leads one to repentance. In addition you claim that youtr view can be found in the writings of Christians in the past. Where? The small snipit from Charles Spurgeon does not do justice to his full teaching on the subject. I speculate that your position on this point results from your attempt to reconcile God's sovereignty in salvation with man's responsibility to turn from sin for it. 
I apologize if I did not provide enough examples to satisfy you. Is there something you have found which contradicts that point? If so, I will apologize and correct it.
I am not attempting to reconcile anything; I studied the matter out, and found the truth in His Word. Mankind does have a responsibility to turn from sin, and Christians who listen to me know that I teach that on a regular basis, but repentance is godly sorrow of that sin, which, just as a child, brings them to turn from wrongdoing.

Both are taught clearly and plainly in the bible. They do not contradict each other as some suppose, but both must be held in tension (as man will never understand the thoughts of God). If you would like to discuss salvation further, please contact me.
Thanks again for the articles and audio.

Why would I care to discuss it further with you when you've provided nothing but your personal opinions? Many people, such as yourself, write me and believe that providing their opinions is as good as all the research and Scripture I provide to prove my points. To put it mildly, that's absurd and lazy. In fact, you didn't even say what it is you actually believe (i.e. "godly sorrow that leads one to repentance", but you didn't define what you believe repentance is, likely so you would not have defend your position); you are only scoffing at the truth (with some flattering words sprinkled on top) to cast doubt. I'm sorry, but I have work to do, and I'm not going to spend that time reading someone complain about his personal feelings on the matter. I've received more letters in the past year from people who have testified of being born again in the Lord Jesus Christ after hearing that teaching, than I've received in the past 10 years. You've heard the truth, and you've rejected it. I cannot do anything more for you, but nonetheless I hope you depart in peace, I hope you have a great day, and I hope that God will bless you and your family with all your needs throughout the coming week.

2 Corinthians 7:1010 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
Repentance cannot be limited to sorrow over sin to God.
You on the other hand say that godly sorrow worketh godly sorrow to salvation not to be sorry to God about.
Yes, I would be interested in other writings of Christians from the past who also held to your view.
Not trying to be a butt-head. Really do enjoy your site and the teachings. Trying to correct a brother. If your not interested in talking about salvation thats ok.

2 Corinthians 7:1010 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
Repentance cannot be limited to sorrow over sin to God.
You on the other hand say that godly sorrow worketh godly sorrow to salvation not to be sorry to God about.

And that demonstrates to me that you did not read the teaching. You went to verse 10, and skipped verse 9, in which Paul defines what he's talking about.
Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
-2Co 7:9

Notice, that Paul says that they "sorrowed to repentance," and then there's a colon. The colon means that he is going to continue to give details about what he's talking about, that is, what does "sorrow to repentance" mean?
Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
-2Co 7:9

Thus, being made sorry after a godly manner is the definition of "sorrow to repentance." Notice that turning from sin was not mentioned here because turning from sin happens after repentance, which is conversion (i.e. conversion means "to turn" and "to change"). Therefore, he continues to define the phrase "repentance to salvation," and how it is achieved in verse 10, by which he said it is godly sorrow.
That is why God said He saves the "contrite spirit," which is the same as the repentant heart, one who is broken-hearted of his wrongdoing.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

You are incorrect in your doctrine, you are in need of correction, and I can already tell from your letters, you have no intention of hearing the truth because you have never come to repentance. Once again, you didn't bother to define what you think repentance means, so once again, you're wasting my time.

Really do enjoy your site and the teachings.
It doesn't matter what you enjoy; what matters is the truth. Did you think saying "I like your teachings" was going to convince me to just ignore the Word of God and trust in your personal opinion? Again, that's absurd.

Trying to correct a brother.
Well, you have not given any testimony that you have repentance, and therefore, if you did not lay that foundation of godly sorrow, you are not my brethren. You can claim "brother" all you want, but it's vanity. I've corrected you, if you don't like it, then depart in peace.

If your not interested in talking about salvation thats ok.
See, that's the deception I'm talking about in your letters. I never said I was not interested in talking about salvation (in fact, I talk about it all the time in my teachings), I said I was not going to waste my time with someone who was just going to whine about his personal opinions, and now you've written me a second letter in which all you did was express your personal opinion about the matter, and in your laziness (without checking the context of Scripture), acted like you've "corrected" someone. Let me be clear: I'm not interested in your personal opinion and justifications; I'm trying to get work done, and I don't have a time for that. Depart in peace, and have a good day.
And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
-Luke 16:15

The reason I was firm with this man was because, as he stated, he's only been listening for a week, and the first thing he immediately writes me about is to make sure I change what I'm teaching to match his opinions. It doesn't matter that I've been doing this for the past decade, he has been listening to a few teachings over the past week, so he obviously knows everything there is to know, right? He did not write to learn anything, nor did he write me to have a discussion. He wrote me because he realized that if what I taught about repentance was true, then he was never born again in Christ, and so justify himself, he wrote me with some flattering lips and thought it would be openly accepted. My brethren know that I don't accept flattering lips, and that such things irritate me more than anything.
If he truly wanted to have a discussion with me, the first thing he would have done was introduce himself and then tell me what it was he believed. I guarantee he believed that 'repent' meant "to turn," but he would not even say that, and so he's doing nothing but wasting my time. He probably sat down for 60 seconds and typed out that letter and thought he had done a good service to God, but in reality, he was lazy, and didn't care. After all, if he thought I was teaching false doctrine (which he did), then why would he have not loved me enough to spend the time to write out everything and pull up Scripture to give me examples of my alleged error? Again, his purpose in writing me was to justify himself, and I do hope he departs in peace, and I hope he will receive as much longsuffering and mercy from God and the Lord has shown to me.
The point of me posting this letter is to show Christians that you need to watch out for flattering lips and not be distracted by such things. As HE did to those that spoke to Him in error, Christ addressed WHY they are saying those things, and the "why" for this man was that he was trying to justify himself, not have discussion about doctrine. In our church, we have discussions about doctrine all the time, and I'm not always correct, but we have received discernment by the wisdom and grace of God to tell the difference between someone who wants to discuss doctrine and someone who wants to justify his personal beliefs.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:21:39 PM by creationliberty »
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
Re: Rejecting Godly Sorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 06:06:56 PM »
I speculate that your position on this point results from your attempt to reconcile God's sovereignty in salvation with man's responsibility to turn from sin for it.
Both are taught clearly and plainly in the bible. They do not contradict each other as some suppose, but both must be held in tension (as man will never understand the thoughts of God).

With his "God's sovereignty", " man will never understand the thoughts of God" (Rom 11:33) and "both must be held in tension" cliques in lieu of actual scripture, and his overall arrogant attitude, makes me expect he is a Calvinist.

The small snipit from Charles Spurgeon does not do justice to his full teaching on the subject.
He also alluded that he was familiar with Surgeons teachings who was a Calvinist.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:14:44 PM by Kenneth Winslow »
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 07:05:34 PM »
Okay, I'm at that point again where I'm confused on why Calvinism is bad... I know I've had this discussion with our church before, they explained it to me, and I agreed with them, then I forgot about it again. I had someone write me the other day and say that Richard Bennet (the guy who used to be a Catholic priest) was a Calvinist (which I did not know), but I have already forgotten why it's wrong.

I guess you guys understanding it more helps you to be able to spot who those people are by the words they use because I didn't catch it.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
If you have the time, an hour and a half, I believe that this video may cement the major problems with Calvinism in your mind:

https://youtu.be/KGZ5AYVZhss

I've been watching this guys channel, Kevin Thompson, for a while now and I believe I can smell a Calvinist a mile away. 
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 07:52:52 PM »
If I were to boil it all down, Calvinism is a gnostic thought paradigm that the Calvinist wittingly or unwittingly forces scripture through so that the outcome is always T.U.L.I.P.

Total depravity of man
Unconditional election
Limited atonement
Irresistible grace
Perseverance of the saints

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 09:01:00 PM »
? ? ?

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 09:56:54 PM »
Sorry about that Chris. This is the first time I've actually tried to explain anything about Calvinism to someone.
(Taking thoughts and writing them down so someone else can understand them is difficult for me at times.)

Total depravity of man
- man is so totally depraved he is unable of his own free will to respond to the gospel.

Unconditional election
- certain people (Calvinists) are unconditionally elected by God from the foundation of the world to be saved, no matter what.

Limited atonement
- the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ is limited to the "elect" (Calvinists). (See above)

Irresistible grace
- The grace of God irresistibly forces the elect (Calvinists) to become saved.

Perseverance of the saints
- the way to know if someone is saved is by them (Calvinists) persevering to the end of their lives in following Christ.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 10:16:02 PM »
I see. That's not Biblical. We don't believe that, or at least... I hope no one here believes that.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 10:41:50 PM »
The basic problem with Calvinism is that those who believe in it cannot be reasoned with by using scripture. Their highest authority is not what the Bible says. Their highest authority is the tenants of Calvinism. The meaning of scripture is always subject to their system. When you don't agree with them you are seen as just someone who hasn't been enlightened, maybe because you aren't one of the elect.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 10:55:59 PM »
Romans 16:17 KJV

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 01:33:55 AM »
If what Calvinists teach is true, then there is no purpose or reason to evangelize. There is no reason to preach the Gospel to anyone. That's insane, and a baby Christian, with little education in the Word of God, could figure that out just by basic reasoning.

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 06:19:30 AM »
Chris, it was for the purpose of refuting Calvinism that you wrote the article, 'Predestination vs. Free Will' and the reason Raymond had such a problem accepting that article is because he is a Calvinist.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 10:14:10 AM »
... a baby Christian, with little education in the Word of God, could figure that out just by basic reasoning.
That's why Calvinists don't start off telling you what they believe. They are attempting to get you to doubt what you believe, and what the Bible plainly says, so that later on they can slip in their gnostic philosophy in order to elevate the "doubts" they've created in your mind.

Obviously no one learns Calvinism from scripture. Men are typically tought it in seminary. Then they infiltrate a non-calvinist group of Christians and slowly and convertly introduce their Calvinist ideas. I've heard of one such man whom had a five year plan to do just that. Then when the group has been brainwashed with the TULIP it is revealed to them that they are already Calvinists. (Yes, it is just that wicked.)

... the reason Raymond had such a problem accepting that article is because he is a Calvinist.

Their ploy doesn't work in this group because we are generally familiar with scripture, we aren't respecters of persons and we are on guard for false doctrine.  That's way they quickly get mad and leave.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 10:48:51 AM »
Alright, well, perhaps that's another project that needs to be added to my to-do list, although it is quite a lot of work to develop a teaching around a religious idea I don't have any experience with, out side of the free will article Jeanne mentioned.

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 06:48:50 PM »
I don't know if that's something you necessarily need to worry about, Chris, unless you suddenly find yourself with nothing better to do in the distant future. You've already given us plenty of tools to be able to recognise and combat false doctrine and if Calvinists aren't willing to accept your Free Will teaching, they're not going to listen to anything else, either.

As for others who may be deceived by them, they have all the same resources available to them that we have, and they're welcome to come here to question but NOT to try to spread their false doctrine. As Raymond found out, we are not so easily deceived as all that, and we're not about to back down from what the Bible clearly teaches.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 11:10:41 PM »
I don't know if that's something you necessarily need to worry about, Chris, unless you suddenly find yourself with nothing better to do in the distant future. You've already given us plenty of tools to be able to recognise and combat false doctrine and if Calvinists aren't willing to accept your Free Will teaching, they're not going to listen to anything else, either.

As for others who may be deceived by them, they have all the same resources available to them that we have, and they're welcome to come here to question but NOT to try to spread their false doctrine. As Raymond found out, we are not so easily deceived as all that, and we're not about to back down from what the Bible clearly teaches.

Trying to cover all of the groups who choose to deviate away from the true word of God seems a bit like playing Whack-a-Mole.  Those who need to read the materials about false teachings the most are likely those who will not read it at all because it doesn't tickle their ears.  For us though, teachings on the subject are a good repository for having teachings that can be passed on to others.  Hence, I would have to say "however you feel led by the Spirit, go for it Chris".

As for the "Calvinists" they are likely only "Calvinists" because the Mormons didn't get to them first. 
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 07:18:44 AM »
I was thinking about this in the car today on the way home, and realised that this and other false doctrines could be covered in the article I suggested to you some time ago (yes, I know you came up with it but didn't feel a need to prioritise it at the time) on denominations being unbiblical. They are all based on the teachings of men rather than God, and they could pretty much all be lumped together under a teaching on '-isms/-ists'.

It's only because of people following the teachings of other men rather than relying on God's word alone that there are so many false converts out there who are all divided against each other. And the rest of the world sees this as the church being divided because they don't know what the true church is.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 07:30:36 AM »
...denominations being unbiblical. They are all based on the teachings of men rather than God, and they could pretty much all be lumped together under a teaching on '-isms/-ists'.
It is my understanding that Presbyterian churches are Calvinist.

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »
Yes, I grew up in a Presbyterian church which had a 'Calvin Room' and 'Knox Hall'. But I still had no idea what Calvinism was! I don't remember being taught the TULIP doctrine... (Maybe I just wasn't paying attention  ::))

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 12:10:07 PM »
Yes, I grew up in a Presbyterian church which had a 'Calvin Room' and 'Knox Hall'. But I still had no idea what Calvinism was! I don't remember being taught the TULIP doctrine... (Maybe I just wasn't paying attention  ::))
I spent six years in a Calvary Chapel and the pastor was teaching calvinist doctrine. However he never ever mentioned Calvinism nor TULIP. None the less, when I later learned what Calvinism was and gained more understanding of scripture I recognized that system of false doctrine in hindsight.