Author Topic: Joining a Union?  (Read 1996 times)

Benjamin

• Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality Begins
  • First Name: Benjamin
  • Belief: Other
Joining a Union?
« on: October 15, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »
I'm kind of torn on this one. But I lean to a much greater degree of being anti Union.

I can already see the guilt trips in the future should I get hired in where I'm at.

The bottom line for me:

1.) It's anti free market for a Union.
2.) It seems to me a Union is just for rebellious workers and or lazy workers.

Am I wrong?

Was there ever a good time to have a Union?

I don't mind taking correction if I'm wrong.
Psalm 50:21 KJV 21These things hast thou done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before thine eyes.

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
Re: Joining a Union?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 05:22:46 PM »
I don't like unions, either, as they tend to be very corrupt. They use union dues to fund politicians you might not agree with, and they expect you to support their positions, too.

But there is also the point that you might not get any work without being in a union. My brother had an experience a number of years ago (I'm thinking at least 20+) where he got hired as a UPS driver but there was never any work 'available' for him until he joined the Teamsters Union.

If you want to be strictly Biblical, I would stay away from unions. If that means you can't get the job you want or that you get hired but they never have any work for you, then I would start looking elsewhere for employment.

Benjamin

• Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality Begins
  • First Name: Benjamin
Re: Joining a Union?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »
I don't like unions, either, as they tend to be very corrupt. They use union dues to fund politicians you might not agree with, and they expect you to support their positions, too.

But there is also the point that you might not get any work without being in a union. My brother had an experience a number of years ago (I'm thinking at least 20+) where he got hired as a UPS driver but there was never any work 'available' for him until he joined the Teamsters Union.

If you want to be strictly Biblical, I would stay away from unions. If that means you can't get the job you want or that you get hired but they never have any work for you, then I would start looking elsewhere for employment.

Thank you. I believe Indiana is a right to work state. Meaning they can't force me. Hopefully I can make some good money while there as a temp. I'll just play it by ear and refuse to join and see what happens.
Psalm 50:21 KJV 21These things hast thou done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before thine eyes.