Author Topic: Noah Webster is Not Always Right  (Read 2277 times)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 449
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Noah Webster is Not Always Right
« on: July 31, 2019, 07:28:34 PM »
I've mentioned this before in some of the teachings I've done, and as I was studying things today, I found something on Webster's definition of repentance that should somewhat demonstrate what I mean. Here's the fully text under 'repentance':
REPENT'ANCE, noun
1. Sorrow for any thing done or said; the pain or grief which a person experiences in consequence of the injury or inconvenience produced by his own conduct.

2. In theology, the pain, regret or affliction which a person feels on account of his past conduct, because it exposes him to punishment. This sorrow proceeding merely from the fear of punishment, is called legal repentance as being excited by the terrors of legal penalties, and it may exist without an amendment of life.

3. Real penitence; sorrow or deep contrition for sin, as an offense and dishonor to God, a violation of his holy law, and the basest ingratitude towards a Being of infinite benevolence. This is called evangelical repentance and is accompanied and followed by amendment of life.

The problem with this is that Webster made this specific to men. He did not include the general definition, which is sorrow or grief for anything done or said, whether by one's own conduct or another's. There are numerous instances of the grief of repentance when the actions of another have affected man or God, where one man does wrong and brings others to grief. So I would agree with the specific definitions he gives for mankind, but it's not generalized. (He does generalize it a bit more with the word 'repent' rather than 'repentance', but nonetheless, they share the same terminology, just "ance" is a suffix that changes an adj or verb into a noun.)

Webster continues:

Repentance is a change of mind, or a conversion from sin to God.
Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation. 2 Corinthians 7:9. Matthew 3:8.
Repentance is the relinquishment of any practice, from conviction that it has offended God.

Here's where he changes definitions. Don't misunderstand, he didn't even offer this as a point #4, but rather, he completely changes the definition at the end. He claims that repentance is now conversion, but that is not the case. I agree that repentance is followed by "an amendment of life," working to do better and clean out oneself, but that does not mean that the amendment of life itself is repentance.
He says "godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation," which is from 2Co 7:10, but he references to 2Co 7:9. The problem is that 7:9 is part of what defines 7:10...

For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
-2Co 7:8-9

Paul is pointing out that he had grief by sending the letter, not only because they were doing wrong and that was painful, but also having to send it, and knowing that they grieved, he grieved with them.
Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
-Rom 12:15

However, he did not grieve in the sense that it was wrong to send that letter. It was the right thing to do.
Next, Paul also points out the difference between worldly sorrow and godly sorrow, and defined that repentance is being "made sorry after a godly manner." Thereafter, Paul continues:

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.
-2Co 7:10-11

If repentance meant a change of life, then that would require works for salvation. That's incorrect. Therefore, Paul is defining the phrase "repentance to salvation" as "godly sorrow" and that godly sorrow produces in us the humility of grief to which we receive justification. It's not of ourselves, and once we believe, then Christ converts and heals us.

Also, Webster offers Mat 3:8 as part of his evidence that repentance is turning and changing:
Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
-Mat 3:8

If repentance was turning and changing from sin, then repentance are the fruits. Therefore, this should read, "Bring forth therefore fruits meet for fruits." That's nonsensical. Rather, we ought to bring forth fruits worthy of a heart that has been humbled in godly sorrow before the Lord Jesus Christ.

I'm not saying that Webster's dictionary is not a useful tool; it certainly is, and his definitions are correct in most instances. However, every now and again, you'll find errors like this, and so Webster should not be your final authority for all matters of faith; stick to the King James Bible, and if Webster and the Bible disagree, then the KJB is what you should choose to believe.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Timotheus

• BANNED
  • Newly Registered (Forum LVL 0)
  • Edification: -2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Timotheus
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Noah Webster is Not Always Right
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 11:55:12 PM »
I wonder if I would be permitted to follow up on your study here? What Edition of Webster are you consulting?

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Re: Noah Webster is Not Always Right
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 07:27:46 AM »