Author Topic: Did Jesus say that he drank wine?  (Read 10669 times)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
  • Belief: Christian
Did Jesus say that he drank wine?
« on: August 11, 2019, 08:41:58 PM »
Many times I have said that the Bible never says Jesus drank wine.
I now believe that I may have said that in error.

Luke 7:33-34 KJV  For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil. The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

It looks to me like Jesus was specifically stating that he ate bread and drank wine.
Am I correct in my understanding of this verse?
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 449
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: Did Jesus say that he drank wine?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 09:03:32 PM »
Correct, but there is not indication that it was alcoholic wine, just to be clear.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 09:07:42 PM »
Correct, but there is not indication that it was alcoholic wine, just to be clear.
Agreed.

I just hate the fact that on several occasions I specifically said that the Bible never says that Jesus drank wine.  :-[
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 09:09:32 PM »

Luke 7:33-34 KJV  For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil. The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

It looks to me like Jesus was specifically stating that he ate bread and drank wine.

At the wedding feast in Cana, Jesus turned water in to wine.  Would Jesus do something that was to lead others in to sin or to provide ethyl alcohol that is injurious to health?  What if there was a woman there at the wedding in Cana who was pregnant but didn't know it at that stage    .....  Jesus would be subjecting her child to the risk of fetal alcohol syndrome.  Alcohol?   .....  how much is too much? 

The issue seems to come down to the definition of 'wine'.  We have excellent red grape juice here in the supermarkets in New Zealand but it is unfermented and so contains no alcohol.  (I found to my great disappointment that I can't drink this juice as it causes my histamine problem to flare up).

I was thinking of this whole subject about 20 minutes ago while reading Titus at lunch break.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 09:13:41 PM »

Would Jesus do something that was to lead others in to sin or to provide ethyl alcohol that is injurious to health? 
I'm simply considering what the Bible specifically says about Jesus drinking wine.
Alcohol is a different matter.

Caleb

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 16
  • Romans 1
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Caleb
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 06:46:20 PM »
This is something that I have to explain all the time to people.  It's like people don't understand that wine can be alcoholic and non-alcoholic and that the Bible distinguishes between the two very clearly.  Non-alcoholic wine actually tastes better anyways, ie that's why it was called the good wine at the wedding when Jesus turned the water to wine.

Richard

• BANNED
  • Newly Registered (Forum LVL 0)
  • Edification: -7
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Richard
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 06:18:43 AM »
This is something that I have to explain all the time to people.  It's like people don't understand that wine can be alcoholic and non-alcoholic and that the Bible distinguishes between the two very clearly.  Non-alcoholic wine actually tastes better anyways, ie that's why it was called the good wine at the wedding when Jesus turned the water to wine.

If that`s the reason then you are saying that the less good wine was alchoholic.

Larrylynndavis

• BANNED
  • Edification: -12
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Larry
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 02:00:54 AM »
What you all all failing to understand is the historical context of this issue.  During the time Jesus was on earth. There was not any water treatment systems in use. other than putting a little wine (maybe 10%) into the water they drank. It was used as a disinfectant, not to get drunk. (1 Timothy 5:23 KJVA)  Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Timothy

• Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 157
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Timothy
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 09:00:01 AM »
So when Jesus turned water to wine he really did not turn it to wine? It was still water with just a little wine mixed in that they drank? I think you are failing to understand the context of what you are saying and how it applies to the Bible.

Larrylynndavis

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 10:14:01 PM »
Your taking it out of context. Regardless if it was alcoholic or not. If you do the historical research you will see that I am correct. Proverbs 18:13 King James Version (KJV)
13 He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 11:23:57 PM »
Your taking it out of context. Regardless if it was alcoholic or not.
Whoa. You said: "you all [are] failing to understand the historical context of this issue." The historical context YOU included was concerning the percentage of wine/water in a drink.

Tim then addressed your argument about the percentage of wine/water, and then pointed out that you are failing to understand the context of the Bible in comparison to what you were arguing.

In short, he addressed the historical context you raised, but you then said back to him:
"Your taking it out of context, regardless if it was alcoholic or not." Wait, what? That would mean that you took it out of context with your first statement because Tim only addressed what you argued. You can't just say "you're taking it out of context" to make yourself sound like you know what you're saying because the rest of us here will point out the fallacy. This is not to say you are wrong on the subject matter (because that remains to be seen), but rather, what you said to Tim was wrong.

Furthermore, I would point out that simply saying "go do the historical research" is a cop-out. That's like when an atheist is advocating for evolutionism, and for his argument, he says, "If you do the scientific research, you will see that I am correct." That's not an argument, but that is lazy, arrogant, or both; I'm not sure which.

Larry, there are some subtle things like this in your posts that are a bit... odd. I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe you're not accustomed to typing and/or writing? That might be the case. Your introduction post was a little strange and kind of all over the place, and I can see why Jeanne was questioning some things, and I also noticed that Tim was questioning some things in your introduction that you never answered; I'm also curious about those issues they raised.
http://www.creationliberty.com/forum/index.php?topic=903.msg7479#msg7479

Based on your posts so far, it seems you came here to enforce your thoughts and opinions, rather than to fellowship together with Christians and have discussions with us, and typically, those types of people don't stick around very long. Let me know if I have misinterpreted something here.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Larrylynndavis

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 10:10:14 AM »
This is a link to a board that explains better what I am trying to express. https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/was-wine-mixed-with-water-in-biblical-times.61386/

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 11:56:09 AM »
Okay, I'm losing my patience with Larry. First of all, he's not answered for his railing accusations. Second, he made three more posts today, and it was either repeating the same things he has already said almost verbatim, or he's just posting links instead of explaining himself.

Second, we've asked him direct questions he's not answering, as you can see here:
http://www.creationliberty.com/forum/index.php?topic=903.msg7479#msg7479

I've already warned him about posting links without an explanation of what it is and why he's posting it, as you can see here:
http://www.creationliberty.com/forum/index.php?topic=904.msg7516#msg7516

And now he's breaking the forum rules again. Larry, you're talking AT us, not having a conversation with us because you're not listening. If you're going to claim to be a Christian, which you have done on your profile, then you need to act like one, and if you thought you were going to come here and be given a soapbox to preach on when you will not answer a few basic questions about your doctrine and beliefs (or make ridiculous claims like this), and trying to avoid us by making vague statements to our questions, you came to wrong place.

Mods, I'm adding him to the watch list.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:59:59 AM by creationliberty »

Timothy

• Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 157
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Timothy
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 11:28:53 PM »
This is a link to a board that explains better what I am trying to express. https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/was-wine-mixed-with-water-in-biblical-times.61386/

Well, sort of, I guess. It does explain that you have no understanding on the matter (by choice) and that you are seeking to justify drinking alcohol. I don't think that's what you were trying to express, but that's what you expressed. That forum you referenced to is a bunch of false converts justifying their sin and making excuses to go to bars to drink (like the world does because they are of the world) and even to drink beer openly with their worldly church congregations (with children around at that). I read through several of the posts there and skimmed through others. Barely any of them referenced any scripture and they only gave their opinions on the matter. That's what people with no understanding of scripture do because that's all they can do, which in turn explains why you do what you do.

One of the only people there that used scripture actually got banned from posting for calling them out and rebuking them. The rest made ridiculous arguments defending their precious beer. The guy that started the thread said that he was worried that drinking alcohol was hindering him from sanctifying himself from the world and that he felt "un-separated" from the world. One responded by saying that if drinking keeps you from sanctifying yourself then he should stop having sex with his wife because married unbelievers have sex too. Another said that if drinking alcohol is sin Christians should stop wearing buttoned shirts because unbelievers 'misuse' them.

If you want to justify that stuff and won't listen to basic reasoning, then go join them. They'll welcome you and you'll fit in just fine.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 09:53:31 AM »
If you want to justify that stuff and won't listen to basic reasoning, then go join them. They'll welcome you and you'll fit in just fine.
Thanks for checking that out Tim. I second that.

But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.
-Titus 3:9-11
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:16:47 AM by creationliberty »

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 06:13:08 PM »
Wow. Now, more than ever, I'm wondering the same thing you are, Chris. Why did Larry show up here in the first place? What was he after and what did he hope to accomplish? It obviously wasn't to fellowship with like-minded Christians...

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 08:32:33 PM »
What you all all failing to understand is the historical context of this issue.  During the time Jesus was on earth. There was not any water treatment systems in use. other than putting a little wine (maybe 10%) into the water they drank. It was used as a disinfectant, not to get drunk. (1 Timothy 5:23 KJVA)  Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Can you give use an example of this historical context?

It seems it is mostly America that teach they had to put wine in water to disinfect it. This is not true and if you would like to try it I have plenty of water ways here you can try. Also to say all there water was contaminated in time of Jesus is just foolish. There are many ways to make water clean, and I bet the people of old time past were more able to find ways to make water clean to drink. Just to give an example boil the water first, or dig a deep well. I live in a 3rd world country and we do not have any water treatment plant that I know of and yet we are able to get and make clean drinking water.

Just a side note we do not put any wine in it

Larrylynndavis

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 09:48:25 PM »
This is the last thing I will say about this thread. I am sorry people took my research the wrong way, I really was trying to express what I knew about the subject. I really was trying to express what I knew about the subject.  It seems that the issue at hand it whether or not the water had something intoxicating in it. OK let me be very clear. I do not drink any wine , beer, coffee, soda pop, I am working on quitting tea.   I did this once before and my health improved greatly. This time it will be for good.  My end goal is to drink nothing but water. Everything listed above has something intoxicating it, be it alcohol, sugar, caffeine, or carbonation. When I say intoxicating the added substance does alter the mood of the person using it. My late wife was addicted to Coke a Cola. :(

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 09:55:26 PM »
When I say intoxicating the added substance does alter the mood of the person using it.
When I drink cold water when I'm thirsty on a hot day it alters my mood. I always feel much better, but that is not intoxicating.

Larry please stop throwing your opinion around like it is truth.

I started this thread because I had realized, from scripture (Luke 7:33-34), that Jesus did, in fact, confirm that he drank wine.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2019, 12:16:36 PM »
This is the last thing I will say about this thread. I am sorry people took my research the wrong way, I really was trying to express what I knew about the subject. I really was trying to express what I knew about the subject.
So Larry was not really trying to participate in the conversation, nor was he thinking of others; he was just thinking selfishly, trying to express what he knows for no reason, and he never provided evidence of the things he said, so we don't know if it's real knowledge, meaning we don't know that Larry knows anything.

I'm glad he's gone now, so we stop wasting our time.