Author Topic: Idolatry  (Read 3088 times)

stevesams

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 18
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Steve
  • Belief: Christian
Idolatry
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:32:11 PM »
Church, 

I went back and re-listened to the first audio teaching on "Idolatry". I definitely have some things I need to clean up in my life.  I totally get it when you were referencing scriptures that deal with idolatry in the heart.  The verse that immediately came to mind for me was Matthew 5:18 These people draw near unto me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.. How many verses do we see where Jesus goes right after mans heart when it comes to sin. 

Adultery - Matthew 5:28 8But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

The Lord sees what we try to hide from men

Jeremiah 17:10 - I the LORD search the heart, try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, [and] according to the fruit of his doings.

1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
Re: Idolatry
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:02:06 AM »
You are right Steve!  Thank you for sharing what your understanding of it.  I was thinking during the teaching how easy it is to let idolatry creep into our lives.
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »
Would hobbies fall under idolatry? Like having bonsai trees?

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »
Only if your hobby is all-consuming and that's all you do or think about all day to the exclusion of everything else. Any type of addictive behaviour can be considered idolatry. (And that's something I need to work on, too.) Just the fact that you enjoy something, though, doesn't necessarily mean you're making an idol of it.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 09:27:18 PM »
If someone believes that having a bonsai tree will somehow improve their spiritual life then, yes, that is idolatry.

However, if you enjoy a bonsai tree as simply an interesting little plant that the Lord made and enjoy taking care of them then that is simply an innocent hobby.

If a Christian finds out that bonsai trees are used for some pagan/spiritual connection then they should sanctify themselves from them. Find another hobby that has no known connection to paganism or idolatry.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

stevesams

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 18
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Steve
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 10:12:04 PM »
I am in agreement with Kenneth and Jeanne. I don't think a Bonsai tree in of itself is wicked or evil.  Wiccans worship Mother Earth and trees and all sorts of very odd things. I personally am in awe of the beauty of God's creation. The problem is when we take the things that God has made and worship His creation rather than the Creator Himself.

Romans 1:25-27 King James Version (KJV)

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
I am in agreement with Kenneth and Jeanne. I don't think a Bonsai tree in of itself is wicked or evil.  Wiccans worship Mother Earth and trees and all sorts of very odd things. I personally am in awe of the beauty of God's creation. The problem is when we take the things that God has made and worship His creation rather than the Creator Himself.

Romans 1:25-27 King James Version (KJV)

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Yes, Steve! That is the truth!  It is like Chris and Lorraine pointed out in my own life:  It is a heart matter.  Are you seeking God, but enjoy something He has created, or has the creation become what leads you?  I really enjoy my chickens, but while their care dictates how some of my time is used, it doesn't take the place of studying the Word, prayer, or worship.  I am not seeking chickens when I should be seeking God.  There is much more than this, but my brain still has periods of fog and I can't seem to get it to come out my fingers today.
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
Thanks guys that answers my question. It was not a hobby I went seeking for. But instead just found, what I mean is I found the trees abandoned when I was cleaning the property. Hobby should always be last in one's life. But studying the bible or anything on someone's down time can ware you to the bone. But agin idolatry is something very ezy to fall into