Author Topic: Suggestions for evangelism  (Read 375 times)

Dan7

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: -49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Daniel
  • Belief: Christian
Suggestions for evangelism
« on: February 13, 2023, 01:28:45 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm planning on evangelizing in the future, possibly in the summer months as many people are out and about (i.e. lots of foot traffic).

I've evangelized before, using controversial topics and connecting them to scripture.

Here is an example of how I've previously evangelized: I've chosen a key issue and called on the public to change their opinion on the matter. I grab their attention on the topic, tell them that God does not allow this, and then tell them about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Most of the time, those who walk up to me agree with me that God prohibits what I'm talking about, but they don't know why they should follow these "rules".

Here are some questions I've received: "How can you prove the existence of God?"; "Why should your religion dictate how I live my life?"; "Why do I need to follow God's commandments?" etc... How would you personally respond to these questions?

Do any of you think this formula of using controversial topics and using them as a "bridge" to talk to people about Jesus is biblical or efficient? Should I just talk about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and avoid any controversial topics?

I've evangelized in predominantly leftist areas, and the second these people hear the name Jesus, they turn away. In fact, the only people who have come up and talked to me are either leftists who repeat "F*** God"/"Why should your religion dictate how I live my life?" or smart-aleck atheists who go deep into "philosophy", "science", and Bible "contradictions" to disprove the existence of God before addressing any of my points (e.g. turn away from sin, repent, Jesus, died for our sins, etc...). I don't know if it's only those who evangelize in leftist areas that experience such foolishness. If you've evangelized in conservative areas, have you experienced such ridicule/denial, or has the public been more accepting of the Gospel and/or your talking points?

Regarding the sanctity of life, these non-believers point to God's great flood that killed many. When I mention God's actions are never subject to our approval, they point out my supposed "blind faith" and ridicule their belief that God does not "practice what he preaches". How would you respond to this?

If any of you have any advice on how to capture one's attention (e.g. should I use guilt?), what to say (e.g. should I talk about the good of Jesus Christ or the fact that they are condemned to hell?, or any other advice regarding evangelism, along with recommendations of "training videos" or examples, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 01:34:46 PM by Dan7 »
"Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord... I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord." -Jeremiah 23:1,2

Laura

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 56
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Laura
Re: Suggestions for evangelism
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 02:32:24 PM »
Hi Dan,

I think Jesus Christ himself set the perfect example for evangelizing to the lost, as that was what he spent most of His time doing. Scripture tells us:

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
-Galatians 3:24

Using God’s commandments to convict people of their sin is the only way to bring someone to repentance (grief and godly sorrow of wrongdoing) and explain why they are in need of a Savior. So delivering a message that includes the law and then the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross for our redemption would be the best formula according to Scripture. The message of repentance and remission of sins is what the disciples and apostles all taught as well.

John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

-Mark 1:4

From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
-Matthew 4:17

And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits... And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

-Mark 6:7-12

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
-Acts 2:38

But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.
-Acts 26:20

Also, Kenneth has a street preaching ministry on YouTube called Teach All Nations and he would be another good example to follow.

https://m.youtube.com/@TeachAllNations

I must ask though, how do you think people are saved?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 02:46:45 PM by Laura »

Dan7

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 03:16:27 PM »
Hello Laura, thank you for your response.

Romans 10:9 states "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved". Please quote me if I said anything wrong on the matter.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:19:49 PM by Dan7 »
"Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord... I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord." -Jeremiah 23:1,2

Laura

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 56
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Laura
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 09:15:11 PM »
Dan,

What do you think of some of the verses I shared that talk about repentance for the remission of sins? Also, how would you define repentance?

Dan7

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 09:55:45 PM »
Hello Laura,

I fully agree with the verses you mentioned. Who am I not to agree with those verses?

On repentance, the Bible states that repentance is "godly sorrow of wrongdoing".

Here is my summary of what the Bible states on this matter: Repentance is "godly sorrow of wrongdoing", and we must repent, believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, have faith in Him, and receive the gifts of repentance and salvation through Jesus Christ to be saved.

Please correct me if I am wrong if I summarized anything wrong.

Dan7

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 11:10:12 PM »
Correction for the last sentence: I meant to say "Please correct me if I summarized anything wrong".