Author Topic: The Catholic Church's Feast of Corpus Christi  (Read 3654 times)

Laura

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 56
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Laura
  • Belief: Christian
The Catholic Church's Feast of Corpus Christi
« on: September 25, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »
The town I now call home I moved to 4 1/2 years ago after I married my husband (his hometown). It's about an hour from where I grew up. Unfortunately, from our house we can see the steeples of not one, but two Catholic Churches. One morning this summer my daughter and I were on a walk and noticed police cars blocking off the main road in town. I didn't think there were any festivals or parades happening at the time and was confused by the mass of people I saw coming down the street. At first I thought it was a band. As they got closer, I realized it was a procession of Catholics. The priests were dressed in their creepy robes and hats, one carried a parasol, another that incense thing on a chain. I can't remember if they had that sun relic or not. All the people were walking alongside them singing/chanting. I had never seen anything like it before. As soon as I realized what was going on, my daughter and I continued on our walk.

Something recently reminded me of this and I decided to look it up. The link below describes this event as the "Feast of Corpus Christi". I do not support, use, or endorse this organization in any way, I simply found it when Googling the definition.

"This feast is celebrated in the Latin Church on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday to solemnly commemorate the institution of the Holy Eucharist. Of Maundy Thursday, which commemorates this great event, mention is made as Natalis Calicis (Birth of the Chalice) in the Calendar of Polemius (448) for the 24th of March, the 25th of March being in some places considered as the day of the death of Christ. This day, however, was in Holy Week, a season of sadness, during which the minds of the faithful are expected to be occupied with thoughts of the Lord's Passion. Moreover, so many other functions took place on this day that the principal event was almost lost sight of. This is mentioned as the chief reason for the introduction of the new feast, in the Bull 'Transiturus.'"

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04390b.htm

I just skimmed the rest. It goes on to discuss one of their saints and a bishop and mentions indulgences and a vision of the church based on the moon. As if all of Churchianity celebrating Easter isn't bad enough, if I am understanding this correctly the Catholics used "the [supposed] day of the death of Christ" to highlight "many other functions [that] took place on this day" and then used the Feast of Corpus Christi to try and bring the attention back to Christ. Obviously, none of this is Biblical. I hope I don't have to witness anything like this again.

He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mark‬ 7:6-7‬ KJB

But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi. But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
Matthew‬ 23:5-12‬ KJB

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.
Matthew‬ 23:25-28‬ KJB

Suelong88

Re: The Catholic Church's Feast of Corpus Christi
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 09:36:23 AM »
When you know what it is they are really doing (worshiping the devil) it really makes you sick to see things like that, doesn't it?

I sang at a Catholic funeral for a friend who's mother had passed away and what I saw made me sick.  They were holding up these objects and worshiping them like they had power.  I had sung at several in the past, but this time I couldn't stomach it.

It doesn't surprise me that they would celebrate the "birth of the chalice" as they care more for their relics that anything to do with God our Creator and Jesus Christ.  So sad how lost they are.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 451
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 09:54:57 AM »
after I married my husband (his hometown)
You married your husband's entire hometown? You've been busy.

one carried a parasol
Like a Japanese parasol? Was he dressed as a geisha? Of course, if he was, I guess that would be a gay-sha.

There's a lot more such rituals the Catholics have, but not every parish does all of them; it depends on the size and the location. Nonetheless, they have a lot because the witches have a lot, and I haven't done teachings on all of them because I'm just kinda' hitting the more popular ones, or ones that I've personally questioned in the past. The minor stuff like that, I probably will never cover, only because once I've covered all the basics, when a Christians sees something like that, he/she will have a general understanding of what they're doing and know to steer clear of it... kind of like what you just did. Good job. A+.

Also, good job (A+) on your well-written and organized post. Not many people here take the time to do that.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 23
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »
Living in a catholic country you see this stuff all the time. From their idols to a woman heart in a box being March down the street. The worst is their easter on "good Friday" it is so bad I refuse to let the kids out of the home on that day. It is a bloody event. But I did learn one thing from it, it is possible for a nail threw the palm of the hand to hold a body on a wooden cross.

Laura

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 03:56:16 PM »
Sue,
When you know what it is they are really doing (worshiping the devil) it really makes you sick to see things like that, doesn't it?
Yes, it does.

I sang at a Catholic funeral for a friend who's mother had passed away and what I saw made me sick.  They were holding up these objects and worshiping them like they had power.  I had sung at several in the past, but this time I couldn't stomach it.
You must have been so uncomfortable there knowing the truth. I have been inside a few Catholic Churches in the past for weddings and a baptism, but that was before I knew about the deception. Do you know many Catholics? Have you ever tried showing them the wickedness of Catholicism? If so, how did you approach them and how did they take it?

It doesn't surprise me that they would celebrate the "birth of the chalice" as they care more for their relics that anything to do with God our Creator and Jesus Christ.  So sad how lost they are.
Yes, it is sad. I think a lot of Protestant churches celebrate Maundy/Thursday but just don't use the phrase "birth of the chalice". That does sound like typical Catholic idolatry though.

Chris,
You married your husband's entire hometown? You've been busy.
Haha, I could have worded that better. I meant to convey that where I live now is the town my husband grew up in, his hometown, and I moved here after we got married. I'm assuming you knew what I meant, but I can see how my wording suggested something else. I need to make sure I am more precise and thoughtful with my choice of words. I just included that part because if they hold the procession every year and I had lived here longer, perhaps I would've know about it and to avoid it. Yes, we just carried on.

Like a Japanese parasol? Was he dressed as a geisha? Of course, if he was, I guess that would be a gay-sha.
Lol!

There's a lot more such rituals the Catholics have, but not every parish does all of them; it depends on the size and the location. Nonetheless, they have a lot because the witches have a lot, and I haven't done teachings on all of them because I'm just kinda' hitting the more popular ones, or ones that I've personally questioned in the past. The minor stuff like that, I probably will never cover, only because once I've covered all the basics, when a Christians sees something like that, he/she will have a general understanding of what they're doing and know to steer clear of it... kind of like what you just did. Good job. A+.

Also, good job (A+) on your well-written and organized post. Not many people here take the time to do that.
You certainly cannot cover every single aspect of the Catholic Church. They have a very long history and like you said, it makes the most sense to cover the main doctrines that are shared by all Catholics regardless of their location. Thank you for your remarks.

Billy,

Living in a catholic country you see this stuff all the time. From their idols to a woman heart in a box being March down the street. The worst is their easter on "good Friday" it is so bad I refuse to let the kids out of the home on that day. It is a bloody event. But I did learn one thing from it, it is possible for a nail threw the palm of the hand to hold a body on a wooden cross.
It's good that you don't let your children out to watch those things! I just looked up the Philippines and read that it is one of the largest Catholic countries in the world. I'm sure you see wicked things that we can't imagine or don't often see in public here. There is a small Catholic influence in the town I live in, with the two churches, a friary turned retreat center, and a Catholic publisher, but nothing to the extent of what you must witness.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 03:59:58 PM by Laura »

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »
People seem to love their ceremonial junk and somehow think it is related to being a Christian.  Every morning break at work here we do the ten question quiz out of the newspaper.  I never used to take part but started while back just as an extra means of maybe getting through to some people.  Just earlier this week one of the questions was "what day on the Christian calendar  ..." and then something about easter.  I gave the correct answer that there is no such thing as a Christian calendar and Christians are not told to observe any days of the year.  I got a very nasty and hostile response from the guy reading out the questions of "WE KNOW YOUR OPINIONS AND WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT".  Sadly all of the other people knew the answer to the question and I wouldn't have had a clue in the world. 

Rather than seeing an opportunity to learn something new all of these people quite happily go along with junk like that and don't want to know anything different.  Some of them even think they are Christians.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Suelong88

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 04:44:23 PM »
Sue,

You must have been so uncomfortable there knowing the truth. I have been inside a few Catholic Churches in the past for weddings and a baptism, but that was before I knew about the deception. Do you know many Catholics? Have you ever tried showing them the wickedness of Catholicism? If so, how did you approach them and how did they take it?

I have a lot of extended family that are Catholic.  I've actually never brought those points up to them.  That sounds terrible doesn't it.  I do point out things to my immediate family when we've been in those churches to show them the error of them.  I need to be more bold to be able to say things to rest of my family. 

Laura

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 10:21:05 PM »
Kevin,
You are very bold with people and it's good to hear about your experiences. Thank you for sharing that. Hopefully your efforts are planting seeds within some of them, even though it does not appear that way on the outside. You never know what impact you could be having.

Sue,
I have only discussed these matters with my husband so far, a few things with a friend, and about Christmas to my dad in an email. Though I don't have many Catholics in my family (a couple in-laws, and friends I don't see often), I need to be more bold in Christ too. There are plenty of other subjects I can speak up about. I need to be praying about it more than I do. This is a good reminder.

The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.
Proverbs 29:25 KJB

I just realized where it says "First Name" you have "Susan", but part of your screen name says "Sue". Please let me know how you prefer I address you. :)

Christopher,
Would you prefer I address you as "Christopher"? I just automatically shortened your name to "Chris" without asking. I'm sorry for not bringing this up sooner. I hope I have not missed it if this has already been answered somewhere else.

Side note: I don't know how to quote a quote like was just done in the previous post. Does that make sense? Is there a link someone can please share that explains it?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 10:42:09 PM by Laura »

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 451
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 11:16:30 PM »
When you see this comment, there is a link at the top of my post that says "Quote." You can use that if you want, or if you want to quote specific portions of someone's comment, when you reply to this post, there is a button (next to the # button) that looks like a speech bubble. That's the quote button. Just put whatever you want to quote in between the quote brackets it makes for you and that will do it.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 06:56:03 AM »
Kevin,
You are very bold with people and it's good to hear about your experiences. Thank you for sharing that. Hopefully your efforts are planting seeds within some of them, even though it does not appear that way on the outside. You never know what impact you could be having.

Thanks Laura

I hope I am sowing seeds   .....  even if one of them remembers what I have said even while they are on their death bed it will be all worth while.

The job is a very easy one though on all of the things I get into disagreements about because I always remain on easily provable solid ground.  If the discussion about "palm Sunday" (I just looked it up) had gone further I would have told them to prove it to me from the Bible.

On the biological side of things I can beat them easily and they avoid getting in to discussions because they don't have the answers.

On the bold side   ......  I don't consider myself bold but rather that I just don't care what their angry reaction is and I'm just always looking to bring them to a knowledge of what is truthful and factual rather than what is convenient and patently false.  I don't have kids to look after and I don't have a mortgage so I don't care if I got fired. 

Matthew 13 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower. 19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

The above piece of scripture seems to explain the behaviour much of the time.  Last week I was talking to a lady who is working at work at the moment and she is a vet.  Like most, she belives in evolution.  I quizzed her a bit about animals and asked her if she found it unusual that if you look at a horse, do you notice that the back left leg is exactly the same as the back right leg but just a mirror image?  If an animal was the result of evolution don't you think the two legs would look totally different and the animal would just be a mangled wreck? She goes, "Hey wow, yeah I've never even thought about that".  An elephant has a completely different body than a horse.  If all of those changes were the result of random mutations, don't you think the animal would just be a mangled wreck?  She agrees and then merrily goes on her way with it completely stolen out of her heart that there is a great big reason for animals being the way they are and that it warrants further investigation.  At least she pondered for a short time what I was saying and didn't begin railing like most of the others do (she's not the type that would do something like that anyway).

I'm happy to write this still under the heading of the Roman Catholic topic because the same thing happens with that subject.  When the hearers are notified of the truth and the law of sin and death and judgement they hear it but it goes in one ear and out the other.  They are like TeflonR and nothing sticks.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 06:58:29 AM by anvilhauler »
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Suelong88

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 12:30:06 PM »
Laura,

My friends call me Sue.  My sister calls me Q.  I pretty much answer to any and all forms of Susan, except Suzanne.  Feel free to call me Sue!  :)

Laura

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 11:06:03 PM »
Kevin,
I hope I am sowing seeds   .....  even if one of them remembers what I have said even while they are on their death bed it will be all worth while.
Absolutely!

On the biological side of things I can beat them easily and they avoid getting in to discussions because they don't have the answers.
This is why I need to continue studying the Word, to sharpen my knowledge.

On the bold side   ......  I don't consider myself bold but rather that I just don't care what their angry reaction is and I'm just always looking to bring them to a knowledge of what is truthful and factual rather than what is convenient and patently false.  I don't have kids to look after and I don't have a mortgage so I don't care if I got fired. 
Well, I can certainly learn from you.

Matthew 13 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower. 19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

The above piece of scripture seems to explain the behaviour much of the time.  Last week I was talking to a lady who is working at work at the moment and she is a vet.  Like most, she belives in evolution.  I quizzed her a bit about animals and asked her if she found it unusual that if you look at a horse, do you notice that the back left leg is exactly the same as the back right leg but just a mirror image?  If an animal was the result of evolution don't you think the two legs would look totally different and the animal would just be a mangled wreck? She goes, "Hey wow, yeah I've never even thought about that".  An elephant has a completely different body than a horse.  If all of those changes were the result of random mutations, don't you think the animal would just be a mangled wreck?  She agrees and then merrily goes on her way with it completely stolen out of her heart that there is a great big reason for animals being the way they are and that it warrants further investigation.  At least she pondered for a short time what I was saying and didn't begin railing like most of the others do (she's not the type that would do something like that anyway).

I'm happy to write this still under the heading of the Roman Catholic topic because the same thing happens with that subject.  When the hearers are notified of the truth and the law of sin and death and judgement they hear it but it goes in one ear and out the other.  They are like TeflonR and nothing sticks.
I enjoy reading about your conversations and interactions. You are challenging their false beliefs. You are exactly right, most people get defensive and respond out of anger instead of taking time to calmly and rationally consider the matter. Have you ever asked someone who believes in evolution why animals stopped evolving? I bet you would get a different answer for every type of animal out there!

Sue,
Thanks for clarifying that for me. :)