Author Topic: Hello CLE  (Read 3189 times)

Dave1611

Hello CLE
« on: November 21, 2020, 02:36:07 PM »
Hello, I registered Friday night and didn't realize I have 48 hours to enter something into the introduction area.So I'll give a quick overview here and then may add to it later.

My name is David, I'm 69 old, I'm from the New England area. I was born and raised a typical Catholic. In 1980 some friends of mine were doing a Bible study which I joined. Thanks to these people who were very well grounded,  they were from an independent non denominational Church which was strong in the King James version of the Bible. And also on all the major doctrines. It was an Independent Baptist Church. Which we all still attend.

After reading and studying the Bible for a very short time it became very apparent that Catholicism was completely unbiblical. And at the same time reading and studying the New Testament and about Jesus Christ, It was very apparent to me that Christ is the savior. And the only way for salvation. At which time I accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as my savior.
  Being raised Catholic of course I had some traditional and basic knowledge of God and Jesus and some of the basic Bible subjects.The Lord Jesus Christ through his grace gave me a strong conscience all of my life. So no one needed to convince me of my sin, I knew that very well. And the need of Jesus for my savior.
Over the last year or so I've listened to many of the audio lessons here and also some of the written material as well. And appreciate them very much.

Apologies for the terse and perhaps disjointed introduction, busy weekend and I wanted to get this in before the time lapse.

JN 17:17  Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Hello CLE
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 11:27:39 PM »
And also on all the major doctrines. It was an Independent Baptist Church. Which we all still attend.

Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum here which is an excellent place for Biblical discussions on all matters of doctrines etc.

How come your "church" has the term "Baptist" in the name of it?  What is a "Baptist" church with regards to Bible?  That also makes me wonder if your "church" might be registered as an entity of the US Government via their 501c3 legislation. 

I'm sure the others here are wondering the same things and that might be why no-one has been so quick to reply to your posting and so I especially look forward to reading your reply.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 450
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 12:18:31 AM »
I'm sure the others here are wondering the same things and that might be why no-one has been so quick to reply to your posting and so I especially look forward to reading your reply.

No, my reasoning had nothing to do with denominations or 501c3, and that's the sort of thing Christians can learn about later because that is not required doctrine for a testimony of Christ, and that seemed a bit strict on someone new to this forum. My concern is that there are many Catholics who also have claimed to accepted Christ as their savior, but are not saved.

I didn't see anything about repentance in that post. There have been many people I have encountered who were raised in a religious cult, like Catholicism or Mormonism for example, and the problem is that they believe that coming out of that religious cult and attending in a particular building is what converted them, when Jesus gave us no such mandate, and so I would need to read more.

David said he might add more later, so I was just going to wait until he added more.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Timothy

• Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 157
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Timothy
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 12:46:29 AM »
Hi David. I was wondering that when you get the time if you would give us more details on how you were saved. I was also wondering what you think about this verse in Acts that talks about repentance and faith.

Acts 20:20-21 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

You said you would give more details, so you might talk about this then, but I am curious as to what you believe about this verse and how it relates to salvation.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 02:24:14 AM »
Yes, I was a bit strict but I did want to put some questions out there to get the discussion moving along because no-one else had written a reply and also knowing that it would then lead on to the discussion of repentance.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 23
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 04:17:55 AM »
Is new England in America?

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 04:18:04 AM »
Is new England in America?

Hi Billy

Yes, New England is in the USA. 

I can't blame you for not being able to find it as I had to go looking on the maps to see exactly where it was although I did know that it was on the upper east of the USA.  It isn't a state of the USA as I thought it was and is a region comprising six states in the northeastern United States: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. 

I've learned something too  :)

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 12:08:11 AM »
I just got home last night from a week-long camping trip where we had no mobile or Internet service, which is why I have not replied until now. The thing that stood out to me from David's brief introduction, though, was he said his friends were from an independent non-denominational church and then turned around and said it was an Independent Baptist church, which is a denomination.

David, yes, the rules do state that you need to make an introductory post within 48 hours, and we do appreciate you trying to comply with those rules, but I don't think we've kicked anyone yet before at least a week has gone by with no introduction. I, too, look forward to hearing more about you and your salvation experience.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 04:05:05 AM »
Assuming all is OK with David and that he hasn't come to some kind of calamity in life, hopefully even the small amount we have written causes David to have a serious think about doctrines etc.  It wouldn't be good if at the age David is and the time he has been in a church if he was too timid to get in to a discussion with us on any of the matters raised. 

All of us are still learning too and being corrected on things we thought we knew for sure and having veils of deception lifted away from in front of our eyes and allowing us to see things as they really are is a marvelous thing.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 450
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 10:15:42 AM »
He hasn't logged back in since he made that post.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18