Author Topic: Hi everybody!  (Read 1873 times)

Lucy Pevensie

Hi everybody!
« on: March 04, 2020, 02:35:39 PM »
I came across this site last year while looking for info on the tv show Highway to Heaven. It's something I watched as a kid, and now as an adult after having to move back home with my mom to help take care of her, I watched a few episodes with her again as she went through the series. I was struck by how un-Christian that show was, on almost every single aspect. Of course it just heightened the distance I feel now from my mom, even though she raised me with Christian faith and values. She was a non-practicing Catholic who adopted the attitude that it wasn't necessary to go to church, you could just talk to God in your heart while in the woods or wherever. Unfortunately I fell into that way of thinking too. It wasn't until my 30s when I for some reason began thinking about church and that God probably wants us to go, and started searching for one that I could get to, that also offered Bible study. Thankfully I found one that posted audio sermons online so I could do some reconnaissance. (It was a Church of Christ, not Catholic, because since childhood I had always thought it was pagan to pray to saints etc., and that it was wrong for the Pope to have so much wealth, and of course now I have learned so many other reasons why Catholicism has zero authority and is heretical.) I decided to go and after about a month, woke up one Sunday and knew I was going to be baptized that day. I actually was almost ready sooner, but I am a cautious person and wanted to just make sure. And that's my story! It hasn't been easy, but also not very much harder than my life has typically been since I have always felt spiritually disconnected from most people and my family. Anyway, I have enjoyed many of the articles on this site and I look forward to lots of great discussions with all of you.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 23
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Hi everybody!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 04:41:31 PM »
I may have misunderstood what you said but it sounds like you were saved when u got baptized?

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 450
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 05:04:12 PM »
I have two questions if you don't mind:

1. Is that your real name? I'm not saying it is not your real name, it's just that I hope you're not copying from C.S. Lewis. (SEE HERE for details.)

2. Based on your testimony here, I would plead with you that there is one important teaching you should take a look at because everything that is foundational to the doctrine of Christ was completely left out of your story. I'll just leave you the link to a YT audio teaching, and I would like to hear your comments on it:
https://youtu.be/NEI_H3QUb7Q?t=20
Wait, I didn't actually ask a question. The question is, will you listen to that and comment on it when you get a chance?
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Lucy Pevensie

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 05:43:48 PM »
Interesting C.S. Lewis info. I'll have to look into that further.
Also I didn't leave Christ 'out' of my story - since there is no way to God but through Him, and God includes Christ and the Holy Spirit. And I attend a Church of Christ, which is kind of hard to do if you're a denier of Christ as Messiah, God in the flesh.
Was I 'saved' when I was baptized? Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean, did I not have faith before that? I always did, never doubted or was apart from God other than that I was not worshipping Him correctly. But if you mean 'saved' in the sense that baptism is a necessary step in faith, then sure.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 06:38:12 PM »
Yeah, C.S. Lewis was not a Christian; he was a pagan occultist. His stories are full of demonic witchcraft disguised as "church-ianity" and a universalist false gospel that mocks Jesus Christ.

No one said you left Christ out of your testimony. Where did you get that idea? I thought I said that you had left out everything that was foundational to the doctrine of Christ, not Christ Himself. No one here is saying that you do not profess Christ, nor that you had to do works (like baptism) to be saved, but rather, everything the Bible tells us that converts a man unto Christ, you left out of your testimony.

I don't want to overwhelm you with tons of information all at once, but it is starting to sound like you believe that anyone who claims they "believe on Jesus" is automatically born again in Christ. That is simply not true, as Christ Himself taught:
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
-Mat 7:21-23

Why did Jesus say that those who believed on Him, calling Him "Lord," and doing all manner of works in his name would not enter the Kingdom of God? Notice that Jesus did not say few, but rather, He said He would turn away MANY who claimed to believe on Him. I published a book last fall addressing that very thing, and it's free-to-read on the website:
Why Millions of Believers on Jesus Are Going to Hell
Listening to the audio teaching in the link I provided in my first response will also help address the core of that issue.

All the parables Jesus Christ taught have a fundamental context concerning false converts which are people who claim to be of Christ, but are not.
False Converts vs Eternal Security

Jesus taught a lot about false converts, and these are just a few things you can look into if you're interested. I just want you to understand the fullness of what these things mean in Scripture, and what it is we believe.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 01:45:03 PM »
I don't know if she looked into these things or not, but she has not logged back in since her last post (i.e. as far as we know, she did not even see my last response above). There is no activity on her account since. I find it amazing how many people join our forum with excitement, and disappear the second doctrinal issues are raised. I tried to tell her the truth as gently as possible, but there is not much more I can do.