Author Topic: mystery of iniquity  (Read 1680 times)

theAXEisLAID

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 11
    • View Profile
  • First Name: David
  • Belief: Christian
mystery of iniquity
« on: June 06, 2021, 10:11:48 PM »
2 Thessalonians 2:7
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

I was thinking about the “mystery of iniquity” and what it might be. Could it be how sin blinds men from having understanding? More specifically men blinded by their sin who are not born again, likened to the fool who fears not God and therefore has no wisdom. In the context of the 2nd chapter of 2nd Thessalonians, those with whom God sends a strong delusion are in for big trouble.

I think about this “mystery of iniquity” concept from time to time when dealing with some of the false converts in my life and I don’t know for sure that I am correct in my understanding. For example, my brother smokes weed and cigarettes one minute and will give a hallelujah praise Jesus shout the next. I have told him these things ought not to be (and many other ridiculous things too) but it is a process that has been repeating itself. I have found myself thinking – that must be the “mystery of iniquity.”
And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Matthew 3:10 KJV

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
Re: mystery of iniquity
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 11:33:18 PM »
David, I agree with your assessment of this passage, but as this verse is specifically addressing end times prophecy there is likely more to it than I understand right now.

Perhaps this passage is more relevant to what you are dealing with:
Matthew 15:14 KJV — Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

heathertaylor

• Born Again Christians
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 63
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Heather
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 11:34:50 PM »
That's how I see it as well and if you read down a few verses it confirms it.
Verse 11 especially shows the "mystery of iniquity" by stating that God sends them strong delusion. That's my understanding but I have been wrong before.
2 Thessalonians 2: 10-12
10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Your family member resembles verse 12 as does most of the world. They glory in their shame.
   Philippians 3:19
“Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)” 

It all comes down to Pride.
2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

theAXEisLAID

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 11
    • View Profile
  • First Name: David
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 10:29:58 AM »
Perhaps this passage is more relevant to what you are dealing with:
Matthew 15:14 KJV — Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Agreed - I don't hang out with my brother but I want to continue to warn him when I have the opportunity.
It all comes down to Pride.
Absolutely - the concept of pride being sinful is foreign to him and so many others.
And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Matthew 3:10 KJV